• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Rail Tour 2021: This time it's personal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
MK2's perhaps?
If Mark 1s go, Mark 2s do as well. There seems little chance of one being removed from the railway and not the other. There is a chance of both being removed after 31 March 2023 when the derogation runs out although, no doubt, there are discussions ongoing. Behaviour of passengers on the tours with regard to the opening windows is a key issue.

Maybe - but how many Mk2s are in existence compared with Mk1s? Is it enough?
Riviera have more Mark 2fs in their fleet than Mark 1s now. However, I don't think that is the point. Effectively they are no concentrating on keeping sufficient Mark 1s available for the requirements of the tour operators.

The original GBRf four-day tour in 2016 ran with Mark 2fs. Some passengers had a bad experience with the air conditioning failing in one of the standard class carriages which led to GBRf making a point of using Mark 1s for the subsequent tours.
 

Devonman2014

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2015
Messages
425
Location
Exeter
If Mark 1s go, Mark 2s do as well. There seems little chance of one being removed from the railway and not the other. There is a chance of both being removed after 31 March 2023 when the derogation runs out although, no doubt, there are discussions ongoing. Behaviour of passengers on the tours with regard to the opening windows is a key issue.


Riviera have more Mark 2fs in their fleet than Mark 1s now. However, I don't think that is the point. Effectively they are no concentrating on keeping sufficient Mark 1s available for the requirements of the tour operators.

The original GBRf four-day tour in 2016 ran with Mark 2fs. Some passengers had a bad experience with the air conditioning failing in one of the standard class carriages which led to GBRf making a point of using Mark 1s for the subsequent tours.

The infamous coach B on the GBRF 15 tour !

If I remember correctly a load of ice lollies were dropped off at a station (Peterborough possibly) by one of the GBRF volunteer stewards family members on what was one of the hottest days of the four day tour.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
The infamous coach B on the GBRF 15 tour !

If I remember correctly a load of ice lollies were dropped off at a station (Peterborough possibly) by one of the GBRF volunteer stewards family members on what was one of the hottest days of the four day tour.
Sounds fun!
I was on the Fifty-Niner (Pathfinder Tours) in 2016, and on the return journey the lights stopped working in the carriage (Mk1) which I was in (it was February, so dark outside). No-one batted an eyelid!
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
rip is virtually sold out! Looks like I won't be going... :(

All the whole-tour options are sold, all First Class options too, as well as day 3 and 4 in Standard Class. Only days 1, 2 and N are available, in SC only (at the time of posting). I was hoping to do the overnight bit plus days 3 and 4. Boo hoo. :'( Ah well - there's always next time, or the "follow it by car to take lots of pictures" option!
A small re-release currently back on the market (but not Day 3 other than as part of a whole trip standard class ticket). I wonder how long it will remain available.
 

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,353
Location
University of Birmingham
A small re-release currently back on the market (but not Day 3 other than as part of a whole trip standard class ticket). I wonder how long it will remain available.
Only days 1 and 2 available now (in standard class). I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be going on the train, but I may well follow it by car as a mini holiday!
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
An email has been sent out by GBRF to those with tickets this afternoon. There are a few changes to the planned itineraries, which I have listed below:

Day 1
Unchanged

Day 2
Now includes a visit to Marchwood MOD, with various shunting locos expected to be used for haulage around the site. Day now finishes at Kensington Olympia

Day N
Now begins at Kensington Olympia, with 73/1s hauling to Acton Lane Reception, swapped there for an 86 to take the train to Birmingham New Street then original itinerary resumes.

Day 3
Route unchanged. 33012 is no longer available, and no other 33 has been able to be sourced. As things currently stand the Oban trip is now likely to be the pair of 20s both ways, with a currently unspecified loco assisting on the rear, though this is subject to change.

Day 4
Unchanged
 

DEAN MURPHY

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
248
Is there a contact for this tour, as I’d like to see if there are any seats left available from people who now cannot go?
Any help apprecisted
Dean
 

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,199
Starting the overnight leg at Kensington Olympia certainly makes things easier (and cheaper) for me.
Report on another forum that RTT is providing an enhanced coverage of GBRF21 as they did for GBRF18.

hope it’s ok to share the link?

 

43 302

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2019
Messages
1,731
Location
London
Report on another forum that RTT is providing an enhanced coverage of GBRF21 as they did for GBRF18.

hope it’s ok to share the link?

I wonder what that will entail. Not like the allocations aren't already shown!
 

Townsend Hook

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2011
Messages
932
Location
GB
I wonder what that will entail. Not like the allocations aren't already shown!
I understand that RTT will have a GPS tracker on the train, something like that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not quite sure how GBRf are planning to resource two 73/9s for the first day, assuming they’re coming from the five blue Network Rail contract locos (961-965). Two are planned to be on hire to Colas for the PLPR2 IM train working out of Eastleigh all week, another two are with the PLPR1 IM train on Merseyrail Monday and Tuesday night, but according to the STN their light engine move from Derby RTC to Tonbridge isn’t until the Saturday. So that only leaves one, assuming 100% availability which is a big ask with those 73/9s. Unless they’re planning to bring sleeper 73/9s south or something.
 
Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2019
Messages
1,731
Location
London
I understand that RTT will have a GPS tracker on the train, something like that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not quite sure how GBRf are planning to resource two 73/9s for the first day, assuming they’re coming from the five blue Network Rail contract locos (961-965). Two are planned to be on hire to Colas for the PLPR2 IM train working out of Eastleigh all week, another two are with the PLPR1 IM train on Merseyrail Monday and Tuesday night, but according to the STN their light engine move from Derby RTC to Tonbridge isn’t until the Saturday. So that only leaves one, assuming 100% availability which is a big ask with those 73/9s. Unless they’re planning to bring sleeper 73/9s south or something.
I doubt many people would mind a 73/1 vice 73/9 pair!
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
I doubt many people would mind a 73/1 vice 73/9 pair!
I understand that RTT will have a GPS tracker on the train, something like that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Not quite sure how GBRf are planning to resource two 73/9s for the first day, assuming they’re coming from the five blue Network Rail contract locos (961-965). Two are planned to be on hire to Colas for the PLPR2 IM train working out of Eastleigh all week, another two are with the PLPR1 IM train on Merseyrail Monday and Tuesday night, but according to the STN their light engine move from Derby RTC to Tonbridge isn’t until the Saturday. So that only leaves one, assuming 100% availability which is a big ask with those 73/9s. Unless they’re planning to bring sleeper 73/9s south or something.
Could it be the yellow pair possibly?
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
I forgot those existed to be honest. Are they even runners? All the CS ones are in Scotland afaik.
Yes. They regularly appear on Network Rail test trains. I’ve just looked up the numbers (as I’d forgotten them), 73951 and 73952.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Though of course their use on the tour does rely on Network Rail permitting their use.
It does indeed. I queried if it might have been them based on the information above that none of GBRF’s 73/9s are expected to be available.

On another note, do we have any idea which 91 is expected to be provided for Day 3?
 

43 302

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2019
Messages
1,731
Location
London
On another note, do we have any idea which 91 is expected to be provided for Day 3?
I don't, but I'd put good money on it being a celebrity liveried one. Can't imagine it's a non LNER one either.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
I don't, but I'd put good money on it being a celebrity liveried one. Can't imagine it's a non LNER one either.
It won’t be 91119 as that’s had it’s roof off for some major work to be done. If it’s expected to be one with a special livery then that probably narrows it down to 110 or 111.
 

43 302

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2019
Messages
1,731
Location
London
It won’t be 91119 as that’s had it’s roof off for some major work to be done. If it’s expected to be one with a special livery then that probably narrows it down to 110 or 111.
Or 91101! Which would be especially fitting I would say :lol:
 

Townsend Hook

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2011
Messages
932
Location
GB
Could it be the yellow pair possibly?

Unlikely, they haven't left the RTC in about a year, to the best of my knowledge. Their non-availability is a lot of the reason why the GBRf 73/9s have been run so ragged, covering for them.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,124
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Not quite sure how GBRf are planning to resource two 73/9s for the first day, assuming they’re coming from the five blue Network Rail contract locos (961-965). Two are planned to be on hire to Colas for the PLPR2 IM train working out of Eastleigh all week, another two are with the PLPR1 IM train on Merseyrail Monday and Tuesday night, but according to the STN their light engine move from Derby RTC to Tonbridge isn’t until the Saturday. So that only leaves one, assuming 100% availability which is a big ask with those 73/9s. Unless they’re planning to bring sleeper 73/9s south or something.
Perhaps they'll cancel a couple of Caledonian Sleeper portions and tell the passengers - sorry, guests - that it's due to staff shortages. ;)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I doubt many people would mind a 73/1 vice 73/9 pair!
I think that would be a wee bit short of power in diesel mode!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top