• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,200
At 26:20 in the video (I think when it's climbing the steepest gradient), there is a shot of the EM2000 traction control display. I assume 'MG' => Main Generator
This is correct and I believe is standard EMD parlance, despite Classes 66 and 56/69 being fitted with alternators, not generators.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,568
Location
Preston Lancs
At 26:20 in the video (I think when it's climbing the steepest gradient), there is a shot of the EM2000 traction control display. I assume 'MG' => Main Generator, so 1712A x 731V = 1251kW, engine running in Throttle Position 7 at 829 RPM, speed 19mph:

View attachment 184115
That is cool. I am loving these class 69 conversions. I was a true spotter in 1976 when the first 56s started to arrive. Seeing 56 become 69s is really great nearly 50 years later.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,800
Location
Somewhere, not in London
This is correct and I believe is standard EMD parlance, despite Classes 66 and 56/69 being fitted with alternators, not generators.
Well, given EMD are American one can't expect them to use correct electrical terms.

(Also operationally facing things aren't always right)
See also, use of the word "Isolate".
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
Just seen a photo of 015 in a grey and yellow livery on Facebook. Won't post a picture as source as we never know if it's real or not. Red speed whisker red stripe
 
Joined
22 Jan 2024
Messages
588
Location
Yorkshire
There are pictures on the WNXX news page. Basically appears to be Railfreight red stripe, with added red speed whiskers and GBRF branding in place of the large BR logo.
 

Mike_L_Surrey

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2023
Messages
27
Location
Surrey
Mr Tiller has posted the images of 015 @ Eastleigh Works on Facebook (class 69 group is where I saw them)
I saw that as well, I think we can assume it’s genuine.

I was intrigued to see the ‘Donor’ locomotive number 56009 displayed on the cab side & front in addition to 69015 elsewhere.

I assume 56009 no longer officially exists but I thought this could be confusing as there are active class 56’s elsewhere.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
Certainly looks the business. Thought it only went in just before the weekend (as 66791 came out in Heidelberg). Very quick. Other than the red buffer beam at the front (I don't know, it looks a bit too red), this is my second favourite behind 69002.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
And finally.... the last 69 out of the Paintshop for GB Railfreight.

69015 (ex-56009) sports an updated version of Red Stripe Railfreight, paying homage to it's previous identity of 56009.

Well done to Gary and the team in the Paintshop here at Arlington, who pulled out all the stops to make sure this one came out on time.

It's been a privilege and a pleasure to work with Bob Tiller of GB Railfreight, helping create this amazingly colourful bunch of locos.


As above, two images of 69015 in a version of BR Railfreight Red Strip with Whiskers in Red. Images courtesy of Arlington Fleet Services.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6673.jpeg
    IMG_6673.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 239

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584

As above, two images of 69015 in a version of BR Railfreight Red Strip with Whiskers in Red. Images courtesy of Arlington Fleet Services.
Now the question is how many 56s carried large logo numbers with red stripe railfreight livery, as only remember some 37s doing so?
Still looks good, though!!!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,755
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Now the question is how many 56s carried large logo numbers with red stripe railfreight livery, as only remember some 37s doing so?
Still looks good, though!!!
Yes - 37502 to 37520 definitely had, as you say. I'm certain Thornaby churned out a Railfreight grey 47 with red stripe and large white bodyside number. Possibly 47361 but I will trawl my 35mm shots and online images.

I don't recollect any of the Railfreight grey 56s having large white bodyside number. 56135 set the trend of small black number under driver's cabside window, when it emerged from Crewe Works.
Only the large logo monastral blue 56s, from 56036 (1978) and the new builds (from 1980?) at Doncaster and Crewe, had large white bodyside number.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
I'm sure Thornaby churned out a Railfreight grey 47 with red stripe and large white bodyside number. Possibly 47361 but I will trawl my 35mm shots and online images.
Yes, 47363, remember having that in 1991 out of Exeter, strayed a long way from home.
I'll stop straying off topic, now!!!
 

Loadhaul60059

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2025
Messages
671
Location
Surrey
According to the Class 56 Group - link here https://www.class56group.co.uk/your-questions-answered-railfreight-red-stripe/ - a few of them did:

As far as can be ascertained, the following ‘Grids’ all carried Railfreight red stripe livery; 56003, 011, 019, 044, 048, 049, 052, 067, 068, 076, 088, 089, 090, 098*, 100, 106, 107 & 108.

56098, although having never worn the livery during original service with British Rail, did carry it for several years during the loco’s stint in preservation.

Apologies - looks like I've got my wires crossed as that just confirms which ran in the livery, not whether they had the large number on the side.
 

trainmania100

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2015
Messages
3,040
Location
Newhaven
Bizarre choice to call the livery a joke when it's practically the same as the original red stripe 56, except for the whisker at the front which spoils it a bit but it's the same as the original except the logo change. What's the problem?
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
This is correct and I believe is standard EMD parlance, despite Classes 66 and 56/69 being fitted with alternators, not generators.
A bit late to the party, but strictly speaking, alternators are 'generators'. DC generators used to be also called 'dynamos' years ago.
 

Carnforth_24

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2023
Messages
22
Location
Stockport
What’s wrong with painting the loco in authentic red stripe Railfreight? But no, GBRf have to adorn it with GBRf fripperies.

I actually really like RSRF but, if you’re going to do it, do it properly.
 
Last edited:

31160

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2018
Messages
1,279
Hmm not a massive fan of this if I'm honest. Missing the arrows and definitely not a fan of the nose art
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
A bit late to the party, but strictly speaking, alternators are 'generators'. DC generators used to be also called 'dynamos' years ago.
If we're going to be pedantic then an alternator is an AC generator.
 

Top