• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
22 Jan 2024
Messages
588
Location
Yorkshire
That's a quarter of the class 69s, so about what you would expect since 30 out of 135 class 56s (22%) were Romanian

How many 56s were Crewe built?

15 - numbers 56116 to 56135.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yes, last 20 were Crewe built and for reason given.

15, I believe, rather than 20.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
15 - numbers 56116 to 56135.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



15, I believe, rather than 20.
56116 to 56135 is 20 locos and all were Crewe built; non of this batch was Doncaster built!
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,475
Location
Back in Sussex
Someone on midlands trains gen site claims that a 69, likely 69010, is to be named 'North Norfolk Railway' at their Rails and Ales event in June
 

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2020
Messages
2,637
Location
South Staffordshire
15 - numbers 56116 to 56135.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



15, I believe, rather than 20.
Pretty sure I remember 56116 56117 and 56118 coming out of Crewe works

Flickr photo of
56116 waiting release to traffic Crewe works March 1983
56117 under tests in Crewe works January 1983
56118 connected to cables in Crewe works March 1983
56120 being painted in Crewe works in April or May 1983
56122 being painted in Crewe works in May 1983

not yet complete 56123 standing next to repaint 45101 at Crewe in May 1983
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Pretty sure I remember 56116 56117 and 56118 coming out of Crewe works

Flickr photo of
56116 waiting release to traffic Crewe works March 1983
56117 under tests in Crewe works January 1983
56118 connected to cables in Crewe works March 1983
56120 being painted in Crewe works in April or May 1983
56122 being painted in Crewe works in May 1983

not yet complete 56123 standing next to repaint 45101 at Crewe in May 1983
Let’s clear this up. 20 locos (56116-135) were built at Crewe Works after construction was transferred from Doncaster to free capacity for the Class 58 build.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
From Arlington Fleet Services

Today we released GBRf 69016 from our Paintshop in stunning British Transport Police livery

Well done to Jim, Gary and the Paintshop team for such a great job

69016 is back inside now but will be outside again tomorrow before heading to Waterloo for naming on Friday.


If you see something that doesn’t look right…

… where do I text?! :lol:
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,349
Wow, that's an interesting one! Love the 61016 on the side, very fitting for 016. Great pick again by the team.
I’ve always thought that a temporary renumbering of one of the surviving mainline B1s would be good publicity as well. Shame a blue flashing light would be out of gauge!

Perhaps it ought to have three Longsight allocation stickers as well.
 

RUK

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2009
Messages
489
Location
East of England
If only there was a Class 58/Class 60 to Class 61 conversion for 61016, like the Class 56 to Class 69 or Class 47 to Class 57 conversions…
 

Mollman

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
1,727
Location
Preston
Someone on midlands trains gen site claims that a 69, likely 69010, is to be named 'North Norfolk Railway' at their Rails and Ales event in June
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2025/0...-to-be-named-after-north-norfolk-railway.html
The North Norfolk Railway has announced that a Class 69 will be joining them for their Rails and Ales event.

The locomotive will be joining their spectacular line-up of steam and diesel locomotives on the 13th, 14th, and 15th June.

In celebration of the heritage railway’s 50th anniversary, GB Railfreight have agreed to name the Class 69 “North Norfolk Railway”.

At the current time, the exact locomotive identity is yet to be confirmed, but it will be at a special ceremony on the 13th June for the naming.
 

JKF

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2019
Messages
1,331
I think I voted for police livery several locomotives back, though was hoping for something more like that class 37 from the TV advert.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
I think it looks awful. Using the side of a loco as a billboard, just no.
 

BRX

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
4,551
I'd say 016 has definitely drawn the short straw, on the livery front.
 

The_Train

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2018
Messages
5,247
First one of the 69 repaints I've not liked. I think the Blue & Grey colours work well together but that strip around the bottom is just awful.

But eh, it shows off the BTP number which is an important message and it is not my money so who am I to complain too much :D
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,475
Location
Back in Sussex
First one of the 69 repaints I've not liked. I think the Blue & Grey colours work well together but that strip around the bottom is just awful.

But eh, it shows off the BTP number which is an important message and it is not my money so who am I to complain too much :D

Personally I think the livery is rather arresting :o
 

Top