• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Class 60s

Tobytrain10

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
439
Location
Lincoln
Do you know what the "D", "U" and "X" means at the end? I know "N" is normal or active and "T" for transfer but I can't think of what the other mean
I know X means something to do with ongoing maintenance, and i was going to ask what D and U meant but i forgot to ask, curious what the answer is
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47286Dan

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2018
Messages
2,226
Do you know what the "D", "U" and "X" means at the end? I know "N" is normal or active and "T" for transfer but I can't think of what the other mean
X - Undergoing maintenance or repair at a TMD or is on a test run

D - At a TMD awaitin the commencement of maintenance work or repairs

U - Stored in an unserviceable condition.

Dan
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Do you know what the "D", "U" and "X" means at the end? I know "N" is normal or active and "T" for transfer but I can't think of what the other mean
D - Awaiting maintenance
U - Stored unserviceable
X - On maintenance/repair
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,712
Location
Derby
I wonder what the plans for 018 at Loughborough were/are
I would suspect plans for some Class 60 users has changed. I would have thought some 60s were purchased with a plan for a major rebuild. That might have been put on hold once the Super 60s went on sale.. Easier to get back into service. But, time will tell
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,712
Location
Derby

Loadhaul60059

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2025
Messages
671
Location
Surrey
Didn't 60087 have serious wheel flats. I would wonder, if GBrF needs it anymore
I read at the time that it had a collapsed wheel bearing, hence why it had to be transferred back to Toton by road.

If they can get through the RHTT season with the 60's they have available then I would say it's unlikely they'll repair it.
 

Tobytrain10

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
439
Location
Lincoln
Its probably that the 60s get stored again after RHTT season, since they didnt need them anymore after last season, and i think GBRF are losing drax to DB at start of 2027 if im remembering correct
 

Adrian Barr

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2020
Messages
807
Location
Doncaster
Interesting, what does U mean in this situation? Like it needs full maintenance and replace parts to get back in service, or permanently out of service?

"U" (stored unserviceable) now seems to be used as a bit of a catch-all status for stored locos, including those that might in reality be closer in condition to R or S status (see below).

For example, 60062 was in U status when stored at Toton, but capable of moving under its own power on arrival at Colwick. Fire-damaged 66230 is in U status at Toton but with a section of the body cut away and many parts removed.

Going back to the original meaning, "unserviceable" suggests that some sort of repair would be required to return a loco to traffic (rather than just a maintenance exam) but then again a loco could be described as "serviceable" if it was switched off in working order but was due a major exam, in which case it might actually require more work doing than an "unserviceable" loco with a minor fault.

R TOBESCRAPPED
WITHDRAWN FROM SERVICE FOR SCRAPPING OR CONVERSION FOR USE BY A NON-REVENUE EARNING DEPARTMENT

S STORED OK
STORED IN A SERVICEABLE CONDITION BUT REQUIRING EXAMINATION BEFORE BEING USED

U STORED U/S
STORED IN AN UNSERVICEABLE CONDITION

Does anyone know how long 60002 and 021 are going to be at Toton before they return, and is 087 ever going to come back? Thanks

60002 is shown in TOPS as waiting for a B exam to start. 60021 shows a B exam in progress since 20th September so has a good chance of being back in traffic fairly soon.

60087 looks doubtful (as per post #201) - it's in "T" status in TOPS (waiting transfer) but that pre-dates its arrival by road so is a bit misleading.
 

Top