• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future uses for class 220s/221s and 222s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ex-controller

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2021
Messages
252
Location
Glasgow
Is it this summer or next that ASLEF has said they will refuse to drive the HSTs?
They didn’t say they’d refuse, but that they wanted a plan in place for their withdrawal. Not heard any more from them about it though.

I’d be delighted if their demand was achieved, as it happens.
 

class397tpe

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2022
Messages
172
Location
Cambridge
They didn’t say they’d refuse, but that they wanted a plan in place for their withdrawal. Not heard any more from them about it though.

I’d be delighted if their demand was achieved, as it happens.
Is it just ScotRail that ASLEF are against HST use? Or GWR and XC as well?
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,483
Is it just ScotRail that ASLEF are against HST use? Or GWR and XC as well?

ASLEF had concerns about the continued operation of HSTs without any improvements to cab crash worthiness by all 4 current mainline operators, all of which have ASLEF representing their drivers.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,861
ASLEF had concerns about the continued operation of HSTs without any improvements to cab crash worthiness by all 4 current mainline operators, all of which have ASLEF representing their drivers.
Four current mainline operators? There's more than that.
 

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2019
Messages
4,483
Four current mainline operators? There's more than that.

True I’m not sure how many of the newer set ups have ASLEF representation for drivers?

The 4 I was thinking of were:
GWR
XC
Scotrail
Colas

Please feel free to add to the list!
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,762
Sorry to dig this old chestnut out again but is it possible CrossCountry could have all the Avanti 221's and EMR 222's if the 222's were reformed into 7 coaches but refurbished to provide more Standard Class seats?
 

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
It’s been said so many times before that nobody knows. As soon as anything is announced I’m sure it will be posted on here somewhere.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,762
It’s been said so many times before that nobody knows. As soon as anything is announced I’m sure it will be posted on here somewhere.
If you were referring to my post then I was only asking if it was possible that could happen or if just one of the batch that's all.
 

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
If you were referring to my post then I was only asking if it was possible that could happen or if just one of the batch that's all.
Yes I was answering your query.

There’s plenty of speculation over it ever since the announcement that AWC and EMR are replacing their respective 22x fleets and many seem to have an opinion with how it can happen (without any costings I hasten to add) but that is as far as it goes for now and probably the next year or so.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,376
if the 222's were reformed into 7 coaches
One of the biggest issues would be depot capacity for 7-car units. Most of the places where CrossCountry get their trains serviced, including Central Rivers, are set up around the trains only being 5-car length. Introducing 7-car fixed-formation units would appear to be problematic / require significant investment in depots.

(I appreciate that HSTs are longer but they are serviced at depots on the route which have been handling them for over 40 years.)
 
Last edited:

JohnRegular

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2016
Messages
313
One of the biggest issues would be depot capacity for 7-car units. Most of the places where CrossCountry get their trains serviced, including Central Rivers, are set up around the trains only being 5-car length. Introducing 7-car fixed-formation units would appear to be problematic / require significant investment in depots.

(I appreciate that HSTs are longer but they are serviced at depots on the route which have been handling them for over 40 years.)

That's a very good point that I hadn't previously considered.

I would argue that an investment in depot facilities now that also passively provide for future 7 or 8 car bi modes would be a good thing, but I can't imagine that will go down well with the people holding the purse strings.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,762
My apologies and thank you.

That's the thing - the capacity would be massively welcome but where do you have the space for all the trains? Tough one that!
 

REVUpminster

Established Member
Joined
3 Jan 2021
Messages
1,304
Location
Paignton
Surely the staff at Laira can learn to service a new train or will the staff be made redundant when the HSTs go?
Having said that Exeter still do not seem to be making full use of the servicing facilities at the new depot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top