You get this in all walks of privatised industry though. I myself am ex-local authority and now work for a partnership consultant with a local authority. Unfortunately many of the senior managers have no concept of maintenance, especially in my field - Traffic Signals - which is both more fluid and less rigid than, say, Civil Engineering.
Trying to explain why we pay for some things to be replaced, yet not other things (for example, above ground detectors are covered in maintenance contracts, yet cables and inductive loop detectors are not) is sometimes quite difficult, as they tend to think that if you are paying a maintenance contractor, then EVERYTHING is included.
The understanding is even less forthcoming when I point out that if everything WAS included, the risk on the contractor is substantial, thus so will be the contract payments. As the client, I have the option of deferring maintenance till next financial year, or collecting all the work in to a programmed block - if the work was in the contract, it would not be. But this kind of thinking doesnt seem to figure in their decision-making.
I personally have a very good relationship with my maintenance contractor and my installation contractors, as I am flexible compared to their other clients; for instance most local authorities have two categories of fault: Urgent and Non-Urgent and have response times for both, usually two hours and 24 hours respectively, and have non-compliance penalities for both. Some of my larger neighbours are very strict on these response times, and also classify some faults as Urgent, when in fact they really dont warrant such classification.
Another problem is that they tend to dispatch faults in batches, rather than spreading the faults as they are reported, which again puts a heavy workload on the contractor with the teat of the non-compliance penalties looming.
Personally, I prefer the non-confrontational approach, holding off non-urgent faults if needs be; this has meant that I get good treatment from the Engineers and also I get favours that are not extended to the confrontational authorities, such as "can you just attend to this please on your way home" or truly urgent faults pushed to the head of the queue, or difficult jobs worked on until completion in appaulling conditions.
Unfortunately my management, who are not traffic signal engineers, dont understand this - they see it as "we are the customer, so we should get the service we pay for". What they dont see is that yes, sometimes it seems you are not getting the service you pay for, but you get it all back in kind.
I could go on about the dedicated "Project Managers" who know absolutely nothing about traffic technologies, but see fit to go on jollies to look at other systems, but not include the technical staff who will actually operate and maintain the systems.
Or some of the other staff who's roles I have yet to fully understand, but seem to get involved in the most menial of problems and blow things up out of all proportion because they see it as something serious.
I liken the British Rail lower eschellons to the larger local authorities of old, where things were done properly, by the correct staff to the correct standards.
I liken Network Rail at the lower eschellons to many of the local authorities of today, where unqualified and incompetent management start meddling in fields of expertise they could have no possible knowledge of, telling those that DO know how it should be done, how to do the work and for what cost and in what manner.