• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTPE Allowed us to sit in 1st class on overcrowded train

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,365
Location
Yorkshire
Only ever used first on TPE on one return trip, a few years back from Huddersfield to Liverpool Lime Street. Outward was unusually a 170, seats much nicer and was a bit less crowded but that was the only benefit - was on a £10 advance though. Return was a £6 advance and I enjoyed the comfy seat on the 185 but just as we approached Oxford Road the guard came through handing out forms for reimbursements as he had been told to reclassify from Piccadilly due to an earlier cancellation. I didn't bother claiming as my ticket was so cheap anyway. These days I understand first gets you a complimentary coffee, which is probably awkward if the section is declassified and full of standees!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Re Scotrail as mentioned above.

A few years ago I was travelling from Wick to Inverness. When I got on the train at Wick which was just two carriages in the summer, ALL the seats in STD Class in both Carriages had reserved labels on them, the only seats that were free were in the small first class section, I asked the guard if I could sit there as I did not want to stand for four hours and he said it was ok to do so. Had a really good journey, stunning scenery and wildlife, even saw some seals where it runs above the coastline. I have also been on West Coast and Hull trains on Friday evening busy services, when after leaving Euston or KX, the guard/T.I. allowed some standees to go in First. He just put labels on seats to show the catering staff that those passengers were not to be given the comp meals/drinks etc.

There's no First Class on trains from Wick.

As mentioned by Starmill, there is no First Class provision on this line or that to Kyle so the FC section is a free for all :)

Only ever used first on TPE on one return trip, a few years back from Huddersfield to Liverpool Lime Street. Outward was unusually a 170, seats much nicer and was a bit less crowded but that was the only benefit - was on a £10 advance though. Return was a £6 advance and I enjoyed the comfy seat on the 185 but just as we approached Oxford Road the guard came through handing out forms for reimbursements as he had been told to reclassify from Piccadilly due to an earlier cancellation. I didn't bother claiming as my ticket was so cheap anyway. These days I understand first gets you a complimentary coffee, which is probably awkward if the section is declassified and full of standees!

It does on the core route at core hours (in some cases)
If you're in an Ango-Scottish service you're in luck as I think they have catering every day and possibly on every train (I think the board/alight at Piccadilly at the Manchester end)

On the Pennine services, it is provided only on the Piccadilly - York core and only between certain hours. The catering used to be weekday only on this route but I think it may have now been extended to weekends (it was done as a trial at least)

Not sure about Cleethorpes
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Cleethorpes services have catering between Manchester Piccadilly and Doncaster. Hull services have catering between Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds. It is now available 7 days a week. Refer to the timetable, if there's a trolley symbol the train has catering. First Class gets you more than just a coffee too, they have snack boxes now (and they're a lot better than the VT ones!).
 
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,365
Location
Yorkshire
Cleethorpes services have catering between Manchester Piccadilly and Doncaster. Hull services have catering between Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds. It is now available 7 days a week. Refer to the timetable, if there's a trolley symbol the train has catering. First Class gets you more than just a coffee too, they have snack boxes now (and they're a lot better than the VT ones!).

I wonder if the arrangements are more complex than that, as I've seen trolleys being loaded/unloaded at Huddersfield a few times. Though that could have been out of the ordinary. The snack-box thing sounds good, may have to try it sometime if I can get a cheap advance!

(Must say, your current signature is appropriate for this thread!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top