• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frosted Glass on Station Footbridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,398
In post #42 it is noted that the source is not in the public domain and so cannot be quoted here.
I know that. But anyone can say that and so I don't give the claims of someone who says they can't provide a source any more weight than someone who just doesn't provide a source.
 

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
The footbridge at Clapham Junction had frosted glass windows under BR in the 1980s, at least on the side looking west towards Clapham Yard, although you could sometimes open some of those windows. Last time I was there, which was only a few weeks ago, they had transparent glass. Have they now got frosted glass again just like in BR days?

I thought it was something like that in order to shield the movements of the yard from the public, but no. The frosted glass is over the east looking towards Waterloo.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
I know that. But anyone can say that and so I don't give the claims of someone who says they can't provide a source any more weight than someone who just doesn't provide a source.
I think will just have to agree to disagree then as I suspect the raw figures and/or analysis are going to be hard to come by - not allowed out !.

You could try a freedom of information request (I don't know how those work btw).
I thought it was something like that in order to shield the movements of the yard from the public, but no. The frosted glass is over the east looking towards Waterloo.
I suppose the East facing side is where the temptation to rush comes from. I assume because trains are going from Central London to various destinations that are not served anywhere near as frequently as trains from the West going to just Victoria and Waterloo. Furthermore the view towards the West of arriving trains is not so good really, except for the Yard where they keep the trains of the not very near future !.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
I happened to be at Clapham Junction today and used the footbridge. Going back to the OP, I had assumed that he/she was reporting that all the windows had recently been frosted, but actually it's only a very small number (the small-paned ones over the central steel bridge section), which were done years ago. All the rest are clear, and so this confounds the idea that they have been done to prevent passengers from seeing the platforms and trains, because the ones that have been treated are the most remote from those areas!
 

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
I feel like a new "best views from station footbridges" thread coming on...
I will conceded the footbridge at Rice Lane is nice with the new 777s and not a pane of frosted glass in sight, fully open to the scouce weather
 

Attachments

  • 20230416_104831.jpg
    20230416_104831.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230416_104907.jpg
    20230416_104907.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top