On the 4th February I was stopped in Sunbury station by a Ticket Inspector because my ticket wasnt valid for that station. I explained that I had purchased a zones 3-6 travelcard because I believed that Sunbury was still part of zone 6, as it Feltham. I had just started a new job in Wimbledon and had only been commuting daily for 2 weeks.
Two other passengers were stopped but only I was held for over half an hour for questioning. It seems that when the Ticket Inspector referred to some of my rights he forgot to mention that I was free to leave after providing my contact details. I believed that I had no choice but to stay and answer all of those horrible scripted questions.
My Travelcard was confiscated. It was the 2nd day I had used it and I still had 5 more days to use it. The Ticket Inspector provided me a receipt to contact a telephone number and request for a refund. He said he believed there might have been an offence and I was never told about any appeal process.
On the 16th February I managed to overcome part of the shock and humiliation and decided to forward a complaint to South West Trains. None of the other 2 passengers went through the same torturous questioning as I did and one of them was even simply told to make sure she bought the right ticket at the other platform. Since I couldnt understand these double standards I decided to explain this situation to South West Trains Customer Service Centre.
I received a reply on the 31st March simply mentioned the Buy before board service, and with regards to the Ticket Inspectors conduct since it is an internal matter I will never know of the outcome of the investigation. I replied saying that that was not satisfactory and that the Ticket Inspector would have given me details on how to dispute the Penalty Fare. Then they referred to the IRCAS if I wanted to appeal the decision.
I also tried to contact the number mentioned on the receipt but I was told that I would have to ask elsewhere as that number was only used to buy tickets, and not refunds.
In the meantime I received a letter from SW Trains Prosecutions department saying there was enough evidence to prosecute me for fare evasion. They gave me 2 options: settle with them out of Court by paying £91.60 (£11.60 fares avoided plus £80 operational and administrative costs), or go to Court.
I forwarded my complaint to Transport Focus, which then sent it to London Travelwatch as this occurred out of the area they cover. London Travelwatch then contacted SW Trains Prosecution Deparment that agreed to review my case. I asked if I would have to pay the fine in the meantime and the reply was that I did not need to worry about anything and just wait for SW Trains reply.
The reply arrived around 20th April. It was an invitation for me to attend a second Interview to clarify what had happened on that day (only regarding the train ticket, not all of the other weird things that happened). Invitation = attending the interview or going to Court.
There was no mention to extra administrative/operational costs.
I attended the Interview on the 5th May and from the very begging my rights were made very clear (for the first time!). Two and a half hours of questioning, and I even handed extra evidence to show that I had not always been purchasing the wrong tickets. It was just that day because I purchased the ticket at Wimbledon Stations ticket vending machines. I was requested to forward my previous employment contracts to prove that I was working in areas that didnt require me to commute daily by train. I did that the same day (5th May) and received no reply until I got a new letter from the Prosecutions Department.
On that letter (dated 18th May) the Prosecutions Office was still saying that there was enough evidence to prosecute me and giving me the same 2 options, being that this time they ask for £770.78 (£10 avoided fares plus £610.78 operational and administrative costs).
I contacted them and I was told that there were no notes regarding my contracts. So my email was either not received, or ignore (I did not receive anything bounced back). The only reply I had was a vague one saying it was added to the case, but only after I forwarded it again, after receiving the second letter with the absurd amount.
In short:
South West Trains are chasing me for £10 fares avoided (one single ticket between Hampton and Sunbury is £2.90, but they are also charging for the other times I had used the Travelcard);
South West Trains confiscated a ticket that was still valid for 5 more days. That ticket was worth over £30.
I was not fully informed of my rights on the day of the incident (including how to appeal) and I was handed a worthless receipt for a refund nobody ever replied to me about (it was ignore by Customer Relations on both replies);
I am now being charged an absurd amount for operational and administrative costs that arent published anywhere (wasnt able to find anything on google or SW Trains website);
I was never told of the costs/consequences of the case being reviewed;
London Travelwatch says they can no longer be involved as the case is with SW Trains Prosecutions Department;
Someone either ignored an email with evidence that could result in a different outcome to the case;
Is it just me, or did MANY things go wrong with my case??? Can they charge anything they want to review the case? Who else can I go to? IRCAS? Or should I just pay and try to get a refund through the Customer Relations Centre?
Please help
Two other passengers were stopped but only I was held for over half an hour for questioning. It seems that when the Ticket Inspector referred to some of my rights he forgot to mention that I was free to leave after providing my contact details. I believed that I had no choice but to stay and answer all of those horrible scripted questions.
My Travelcard was confiscated. It was the 2nd day I had used it and I still had 5 more days to use it. The Ticket Inspector provided me a receipt to contact a telephone number and request for a refund. He said he believed there might have been an offence and I was never told about any appeal process.
On the 16th February I managed to overcome part of the shock and humiliation and decided to forward a complaint to South West Trains. None of the other 2 passengers went through the same torturous questioning as I did and one of them was even simply told to make sure she bought the right ticket at the other platform. Since I couldnt understand these double standards I decided to explain this situation to South West Trains Customer Service Centre.
I received a reply on the 31st March simply mentioned the Buy before board service, and with regards to the Ticket Inspectors conduct since it is an internal matter I will never know of the outcome of the investigation. I replied saying that that was not satisfactory and that the Ticket Inspector would have given me details on how to dispute the Penalty Fare. Then they referred to the IRCAS if I wanted to appeal the decision.
I also tried to contact the number mentioned on the receipt but I was told that I would have to ask elsewhere as that number was only used to buy tickets, and not refunds.
In the meantime I received a letter from SW Trains Prosecutions department saying there was enough evidence to prosecute me for fare evasion. They gave me 2 options: settle with them out of Court by paying £91.60 (£11.60 fares avoided plus £80 operational and administrative costs), or go to Court.
I forwarded my complaint to Transport Focus, which then sent it to London Travelwatch as this occurred out of the area they cover. London Travelwatch then contacted SW Trains Prosecution Deparment that agreed to review my case. I asked if I would have to pay the fine in the meantime and the reply was that I did not need to worry about anything and just wait for SW Trains reply.
The reply arrived around 20th April. It was an invitation for me to attend a second Interview to clarify what had happened on that day (only regarding the train ticket, not all of the other weird things that happened). Invitation = attending the interview or going to Court.
There was no mention to extra administrative/operational costs.
I attended the Interview on the 5th May and from the very begging my rights were made very clear (for the first time!). Two and a half hours of questioning, and I even handed extra evidence to show that I had not always been purchasing the wrong tickets. It was just that day because I purchased the ticket at Wimbledon Stations ticket vending machines. I was requested to forward my previous employment contracts to prove that I was working in areas that didnt require me to commute daily by train. I did that the same day (5th May) and received no reply until I got a new letter from the Prosecutions Department.
On that letter (dated 18th May) the Prosecutions Office was still saying that there was enough evidence to prosecute me and giving me the same 2 options, being that this time they ask for £770.78 (£10 avoided fares plus £610.78 operational and administrative costs).
I contacted them and I was told that there were no notes regarding my contracts. So my email was either not received, or ignore (I did not receive anything bounced back). The only reply I had was a vague one saying it was added to the case, but only after I forwarded it again, after receiving the second letter with the absurd amount.
In short:
South West Trains are chasing me for £10 fares avoided (one single ticket between Hampton and Sunbury is £2.90, but they are also charging for the other times I had used the Travelcard);
South West Trains confiscated a ticket that was still valid for 5 more days. That ticket was worth over £30.
I was not fully informed of my rights on the day of the incident (including how to appeal) and I was handed a worthless receipt for a refund nobody ever replied to me about (it was ignore by Customer Relations on both replies);
I am now being charged an absurd amount for operational and administrative costs that arent published anywhere (wasnt able to find anything on google or SW Trains website);
I was never told of the costs/consequences of the case being reviewed;
London Travelwatch says they can no longer be involved as the case is with SW Trains Prosecutions Department;
Someone either ignored an email with evidence that could result in a different outcome to the case;
Is it just me, or did MANY things go wrong with my case??? Can they charge anything they want to review the case? Who else can I go to? IRCAS? Or should I just pay and try to get a refund through the Customer Relations Centre?
Please help
Of course, Wimbledon is in zone 3 and the OP clearly stated that they had a zones 3-6 travelcard.