No, the rails would normally be dropped weeks before they were going to be installed.
Those look to be very clean cuts on the rails?
Because of a freak/rare derailment?
A train derailed on the Esk Valley line 3-4 years ago, by the same token should we have used it as a reason to reopen the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway?
Most look like the ends of the long rails and show signs of rust. Only two look like fresh cuts and look like they have been oxy-propane cut.
Cut into lengths like that I doubt they will be scrapped but will find their way to a depot for incorporation into things like points and crossings.
Because there's no place to turn back at Broughty Ferry.yesterday I was traveling from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, I had to get off at Dundee and get the replacement bus to Carnoustie why was Broughty Ferry not used?
because there's no place to turn back at broughty ferry.
I ask because I know from experience that some sites can have rail dropped a year previous due to possession availability and other sites can be dropped one night and a start on installation the same shift.
Is the line open again?
Just out of curiosity how much was the load of rails worth?
Since no-one with actual knowledge has come along yet, I'll make a round figures estimate!
In the newspaper photo from above, the rail stack is about 8 wide by 4 high, so 32 rails. I've no way of assessing the length, but allowing for about 1200 feet long, and 100lb/yard, the total weight would be around 570 tons.
Structural steel sections are around £400/ton, so assuming rails are produced in lower volume and need extra hardening etc. probably around £500 - £600 per ton, which would give a total value of around £300k - £350k.
Happy to be corrected by anyone who really knows the answer (or spots any errors above).
i've looked at real time trains and the nres website on your behalf and trains are not running through yet.
You will need to amend your estimate...the train was carrying 9x600ft rails.
You will need to amend your estimate...the train was carrying 9x600ft rails.