45022
Member
As you can possibly tell from my user name most of my bashing was done in the 80s following peaks, but for the last three years I have done a Freedom of Severn and Solent in January/February - one of the best value rovers around, especially if you are into classic traction - well a HST is about as classic as it gets these days! Ah well here goes for this years rover.
Plan was to cover a number of items during the three days:
Some decent XC HST mileage
Trying to clear my remaining FGW power cars (which I may have had in the 80s but did not record them at the time!)
Cover the Taunton-Westbury via Castle Cary line
Golden Valley in the daylight
Loco haulage - well the 67 from Cardiff-Newport
Day 1:
With 4 HST turns out today, I had planned to cover some reasonable mileage and do a return on line via Castle Cary today - best laid plans ..
I arrived in Gloucester by Bus, courtesy of Stagecoach, which remarkably was on time and bought my ticket which theoretically was not valid until 9am. Quick check on my app (did not have those in the 80s) to find that the 0852 XC HST from Cheltenham was about 12 late. A quick word with the TM and he let me travel on the SWT 158 across from Gloucester. This paid off as on arrival at Cheltenham 43321+43384 were waiting on the 0600 Leeds-Plymouth. RA Taunton, an hour earlier than planned.
The journey was undertaken in pleasant sunshine with most of it spent at a table seat in XC Mark 3 - still comfortable and roomy, even if looking a bit tired! A slightly late arrival in Taunton was not an issue as my next train 0645 Penzance-Paddington was about 12 late also. This duly arrived with 43180+43078 and whisked me to Westbury which was very cold but in glorious sunshine. Choosing this move allowed me to make the SWT 159 service which I took from Westbury to Bath, before disembarking for 43150+43092 on the following Paddington-Bristol.
At Bristol TM, I had a 30 minute wait for the next southbound XC HST which was 43378+43207 on the Edinburgh-Plymouth. This train rarely seems to run on time in the West Country and today was no exception when we were held around Yatton for some reason. This made the +9 connection at Tiverton Parkway a -1 minute - do I bail at Taunton? With 4 diagrams out on a Monday there was one an hour later, but that would mean an hour at Tiverton - anyone who has alighted there would know what I mean! Anyway, I was very relaxed at my table of 4 so stayed on. Thankfully, my son had the gen which coach was next to the bridge at Tiverton and both trains arrived simultaneously allowing a quick dash over to make 43384+43321 on 1S51 - 1224 Plymouth-Glasgow. Once again a table of four to myself and a blistering run between Taunton & Bristol TM gave a 6 early arrival at the latter.
My original plan was to go south again on the 640 Dundee-Plymouth XC HST, but this was showing 25 down and this would certainly not make the +6 at Taunton for the return to Westbury. I stayed on 1S51 until Bristol Parkway, before taking the next Swansea-Paddington to Swindon with 43019+43156. At Swindon I planned to return to South Wales on 1445 Paddington-Swansea, which duly arrived with 43197+43198. This ran on time to Cardiff where I had a 30 minute wait before the only loco haulage of the day was sampled - 67002 doing the honours on the 1716 to Holyhead. I alighted at Newport, which I find cold at the best of times, so the prospect of the XC 170 to Gloucester for a +10 for the 1955 bus home was too tempting than any more mileage for the day. This move worked well and was home by 1930.
No new power cars (still want 6 FGW ones) but two items done off the list. Lets see what tomorrow brings!
Plan was to cover a number of items during the three days:
Some decent XC HST mileage
Trying to clear my remaining FGW power cars (which I may have had in the 80s but did not record them at the time!)
Cover the Taunton-Westbury via Castle Cary line
Golden Valley in the daylight
Loco haulage - well the 67 from Cardiff-Newport
Day 1:
With 4 HST turns out today, I had planned to cover some reasonable mileage and do a return on line via Castle Cary today - best laid plans ..
I arrived in Gloucester by Bus, courtesy of Stagecoach, which remarkably was on time and bought my ticket which theoretically was not valid until 9am. Quick check on my app (did not have those in the 80s) to find that the 0852 XC HST from Cheltenham was about 12 late. A quick word with the TM and he let me travel on the SWT 158 across from Gloucester. This paid off as on arrival at Cheltenham 43321+43384 were waiting on the 0600 Leeds-Plymouth. RA Taunton, an hour earlier than planned.
The journey was undertaken in pleasant sunshine with most of it spent at a table seat in XC Mark 3 - still comfortable and roomy, even if looking a bit tired! A slightly late arrival in Taunton was not an issue as my next train 0645 Penzance-Paddington was about 12 late also. This duly arrived with 43180+43078 and whisked me to Westbury which was very cold but in glorious sunshine. Choosing this move allowed me to make the SWT 159 service which I took from Westbury to Bath, before disembarking for 43150+43092 on the following Paddington-Bristol.
At Bristol TM, I had a 30 minute wait for the next southbound XC HST which was 43378+43207 on the Edinburgh-Plymouth. This train rarely seems to run on time in the West Country and today was no exception when we were held around Yatton for some reason. This made the +9 connection at Tiverton Parkway a -1 minute - do I bail at Taunton? With 4 diagrams out on a Monday there was one an hour later, but that would mean an hour at Tiverton - anyone who has alighted there would know what I mean! Anyway, I was very relaxed at my table of 4 so stayed on. Thankfully, my son had the gen which coach was next to the bridge at Tiverton and both trains arrived simultaneously allowing a quick dash over to make 43384+43321 on 1S51 - 1224 Plymouth-Glasgow. Once again a table of four to myself and a blistering run between Taunton & Bristol TM gave a 6 early arrival at the latter.
My original plan was to go south again on the 640 Dundee-Plymouth XC HST, but this was showing 25 down and this would certainly not make the +6 at Taunton for the return to Westbury. I stayed on 1S51 until Bristol Parkway, before taking the next Swansea-Paddington to Swindon with 43019+43156. At Swindon I planned to return to South Wales on 1445 Paddington-Swansea, which duly arrived with 43197+43198. This ran on time to Cardiff where I had a 30 minute wait before the only loco haulage of the day was sampled - 67002 doing the honours on the 1716 to Holyhead. I alighted at Newport, which I find cold at the best of times, so the prospect of the XC 170 to Gloucester for a +10 for the 1955 bus home was too tempting than any more mileage for the day. This move worked well and was home by 1930.
No new power cars (still want 6 FGW ones) but two items done off the list. Lets see what tomorrow brings!