• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Francis Bourgeois and Chris Harris: We Saved a Train

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
Thanks for the clarification. Mine's a cheapish BUSH, and after trawling through the manual, on the last page we have: compatible with PAL region 2 discs. Oh, well, may be time for a newer player!
(Noting post 60, but just to wrap this point up :D). The disc pictured in post 53 plays without problems on my basic bottom of the range Sony player (cost around £30 a few years ago). Neither the disc nor its box mentions the coding, but it was bought from SPV.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
Back on topic, I was a bit surprised that in tonight's episode, Francis trotted out the line about the Forth Bridge being continuously repainted. I'd have thought he might have known that the last repaint was finished nearly 15 years ago, having been done with a paint system developed for oil rigs and with an expected life of twenty to thirty years. He did subsequently mention that he couldn't see anyone painting it at the time.
Being pedantic, he also referred to it as the Forth Rail Bridge. I've always understood it to be the Forth Bridge, the others being the Forth Road Bridge and the Queensferry Crossing.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,678
Location
The West Country
Not very good press for the south Devon railway though is it!
Ever thought that might be fake drama, plus they would never get those wheelsets to Scotland for the next day. Then later all of a sudden the lathe is fixed and the wheels will be there on time! Has FB access to time travel?
The producers really ought to employ a continuity person.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
Bit like a station was always known as a 'railway station' (in my youth) by everyone, not just railway enthusiasts, and yet 'train station' has become very vogue in todays woke world..!
I would have said it was just “the station” (unless you were being talked to by the Poluce, who meant somewhere rather different).
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
I'm surprised there's only two places who can do the wheel work.
Is it not done on modern stock these days?
If we're talking abourt wheel lathes, then there were over thirty identified at UK rail depots in a list compiled on this forum ten years ago. I shouldn't imagine that's changed too much in the interim, though it'd be a case of where would be willing/able to accommodate the work.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
If we're talking abourt wheel lathes, then there were over thirty identified at UK rail depots in a list compiled on this forum ten years ago. I shouldn't imagine that's changed too much in the interim, though it'd be a case of where would be willing/able to accommodate the work.
I think the "two places" was referring to the machinery for heating and removing old worn tyres and fitting new ones. The lathe that apparently caused some delay was (I think) due to be used for truing the wheel centres before the new tyres were fitted to them. I hope I've got that right!
 
Joined
5 Dec 2025
Messages
316
Location
Central Scotland
Was speaking to the Chairman of the SRPS the other day and he was saying that he disliked the name of the show. He apparently opposed to it! He claims it was due to them calling it a 'train'. Surely it should be a loco. They also didn't save it, it was mainly the diesel group lads & lassies.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,616
Location
LBK
Was speaking to the Chairman of the SRPS the other day and he was saying that he disliked the name of the show. He apparently opposed to it! He claims it was due to them calling it a 'train'. Surely it should be a loco. They also didn't save it, it was mainly the diesel group lads & lassies.
Francois Bourgeois and Chris Harris Pay Tribute to Volunteers Who Saved a Locomotive isn't very catchy.
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,458
Location
Back in Sussex
I've missed most of this series but did watch the one yesterday with the bogie refitment, I thought 'Francois' was fairly restrained and showed obvious knowledge, the one that really impressed me was the young lady, what a good way to use your time while studying for a degree, actual hands on and some experienced minds to learn from, a damned sight more useful than a gap year in Vietnam. As a totally non technical person all I ever worried about when I was driving was that someone else knew their job and the bogie I was sitting above didn't part company with my train, I found it interesting to see how it all went together
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
323
Location
Brighton
I watched the first two episodes on youtube, not too bad - FB wasn't that annoying. Will watch the rest when it appears.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,678
Location
The West Country
Just watched the most regent episode and am starting to get bored of Francis and Chris’s bromance. I only watch it for the 37 footage and there is getting less of it in each episode.
 

eddygor86

New Member
Joined
21 May 2026
Messages
2
Location
Waterlooville
Jeez, you people really are bitter and twisted over a man who made his passion into a living. I wonder what makes you lot think you're somehow better than him or others to say these things , anyway have fun going forward with that in life , Im sure the people around you love listening to you moan
 

eddygor86

New Member
Joined
21 May 2026
Messages
2
Location
Waterlooville
I had similar experiences in Barmouth. It's all a show, I'm surprised nobody has called him out for talking in a somewhat "special" way, which at best is taking the mickey, at worst is mocking people with learning difficulties.

I guess we should open a "What is the point of Francis Bourgeous?" thread.
Or Just move on and enjoy life ‍♂️
 

PaulC1309

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2019
Messages
38
Location
Glasgow
Jeez, you people really are bitter and twisted over a man who made his passion into a living. I wonder what makes you lot think you're somehow better than him or others to say these things , anyway have fun going forward with that in life , Im sure the people around you love listening to you moan
Agreed. If people don't like him don't watch, simple as that
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,195
I found the non restoration parts interesting, better than most other railway programmes.
 

S101

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
129
Location
West Yorkshire
So much criticism from people hiding behind a forum avatar. You must all be God's idea of perfection, and not geeky/boring in any way whatsoever. Don't like, don't watch. Personally, I find he's a refreshing change to the 'hobby'.
 

Top