• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Francis Bourgeois and Chris Harris: We Saved a Train

Pete_uk

On Moderation
Joined
28 Jan 2017
Messages
1,551
Location
Stroud, Glos
Francis Bourgeois embarks on the toughest project he has ever faced - fulfilling a lifelong dream of restoring a train. Joining him on this epic restoration is Chris Harris.

Best known for his love of speed and a finely tuned engine, Chris will bring his expertise, enthusiasm, and no-nonsense approach to help Francis navigate the technical and logistical challenges of restoring a locomotive from scratch.

Francis Bourgeois says: ‘Getting the chance to restore a locomotive is something I have always dreamt about, so the opportunity to actually make it happen, and document the journey, is so exciting. I cannot wait to start this alongside Chris.’

9:00 PM to 10:00 PM Tuesday 7 April on Quest

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

More information at

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Pelican

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2025
Messages
423
Location
London
It looks from the adjacent train in the picture like it might be a Class 37. I think those are probably the third most recogniseable diesel loco in the UK (after an HST power car and a Deltic) so they should have put "Class 37" in the title.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,675
Location
Solihull
It looks from the adjacent train in the picture like it might be a Class 37. I think those are probably the third most recogniseable diesel loco in the UK (after an HST power car and a Deltic) so they should have put "Class 37" in the title.
Yes Class 37, Chris Harris mentioned it on his podcast i think.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,024
I'm not sure why this should be a restoration "like no other", when you consider just how many diesels have been preserved and restored over the last fifty years. It's not as if it's recovering a long-lost class either, since there are 37s still in everyday mainline service.

I suppose I may as well be the first to point out that a locomotive is not a train.
Which alone will alienate quite a proportion of the likely audience!
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,545
Location
Lichfield
One to avoid, Francis is seriously irritating.

What happened with the Glasgow Subway car that Francis brought/was gifted a year or so ago, I think I saw one TikTok about it and nothing since...
 

The Foghorn

On Moderation
Joined
3 Dec 2024
Messages
61
Location
Spalding
Anything that increases public interest in preserved railways and raises awareness of volunteering on them must be a potential boost for the sector. Whether it's a valid long term commitment to 37025, I'm a little sceptical but time will tell.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
The loco has been under overhaul in a well planned and controlled manner anyway, and to claim they “saved” anything is laughable apart from maybe money going to the Scottish Class 37 group toward this work.

The 37 is at the SRPS site at Bo’ness but I’m not sure how much attention the producers paid to the other great work that the volunteers there do.

Despite “knowing” 37025 for 20 odd years at Bo’ness I cannot bring myself to watch this, which is a view shared by anyone I’ve spoken to. Dumbing down strikes again….
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
The loco has been under overhaul in a well planned and controlled manner
Lets hope it stays that way, and any TV/media types are kept on a tight reign - heaven forbit they're let loose with an angle grinder un monitored...o_O

I share your final thoughts.
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,244
Location
UK
But I hate the word train!
Bit like a station was always known as a 'railway station' (in my youth) by everyone, not just railway enthusiasts, and yet 'train station' has become very vogue in todays woke world..!
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Bit like a station was always known as a 'railway station' (in my youth) by everyone, not just railway enthusiasts, and yet 'train station' has become very vogue in todays woke world..!
And will the next one to follow suit be airport to ‘plane port’ one wonders? ;)
 

Gwr12345

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2020
Messages
287
Location
Delayed
I suppose I may as well be the first to point out that a locomotive is not a train.
And I may be more pedantic and point out a locomotive can be a train. As long as it's got a headlamp and a taillamp, Class 0 still counts as a train.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,287
Location
Lewisham
Can't think of anything worse. Other than tooth extraction.
One to avoid, Francis is seriously irritating.
Indeed.
I thought he was on a rocket to the moon! ;)

On a serious note, I am very interested in loco preservation. Think I'll wait to see what reception it receives on the forums to see if its worth a watch, just for the technical side of things.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,545
Location
Lichfield
Bit like a station was always known as a 'railway station' (in my youth) by everyone, not just railway enthusiasts, and yet 'train station' has become very vogue in todays woke world..!

And will the next one to follow suit be airport to ‘plane port’ one wonders? ;)

Language evolves over time.

Never really understood why people get worked up over the whole train station / railway station thing, I mean, it's a station where you catch a train, so both work.

On that note, buses don't stop at road stations, they stop at bus stations...
 

rmHawk765

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2025
Messages
777
Location
ECML South
On that note, buses don't stop at road stations, they stop at bus stations...
Well technically, it's a bus stop more often than not. With the same logic halts exist on the railway; it's just that there's not a lot which is basic enough to constitute a 'halt' anymore.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,662
Location
The West Country
From videos i`ve seen and the trailer for this show it seems he gets very excited very easily, is Luke like this in real life or just when he is being Francis?
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,545
Location
Lichfield
From videos i`ve seen and the trailer for this show it seems he gets very excited very easily, is Luke like this in real life or just when he is being Francis?

If he's screaming and making stupid noises, like he does in his TikTok videos, then this is a definite no.
 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
656
Location
Hell's Dungeon
From videos i`ve seen and the trailer for this show it seems he gets very excited very easily, is Luke like this in real life or just when he is being Francis?
From what I can say in my own experience, no... He's actually moody and rather rude in real life and is riding the fame of his law breaking (he did after all break covid lockdown rules whether one agrees with it or not) because he went viral on tiktok though he says otherwise and is entitled to that view

I met him twice - once at Birmingham New Street and the other time at York and on both occasions he was verbally abusive to passengers and staff because they walked in front of him and spoilt his shot. In many ways, when he is "off duty" as his persona, he is as bitter and nasty as the much loved Dr Death

Others may, of course, hold different views
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
From what I can say in my own experience, no... He's actually moody and rather rude in real life and is riding the fame of his law breaking (he did after all break covid lockdown rules whether one agrees with it or not) because he went viral on tiktok though he says otherwise and is entitled to that view

I met him twice - once at Birmingham New Street and the other time at York and on both occasions he was verbally abusive to passengers and staff because they walked in front of him and spoilt his shot. In many ways, when he is "off duty" as his persona, he is as bitter and nasty as the much loved Dr Death

Others may, of course, hold different views
I had similar experiences in Barmouth. It's all a show, I'm surprised nobody has called him out for talking in a somewhat "special" way, which at best is taking the mickey, at worst is mocking people with learning difficulties.

I guess we should open a "What is the point of Francis Bourgeous?" thread.
 
Last edited:

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,545
Location
Lichfield
I met him twice - once at Birmingham New Street and the other time at York and on both occasions he was verbally abusive to passengers and staff because they walked in front of him and spoilt his shot. In many ways, when he is "off duty" as his persona, he is as bitter and nasty as the much loved Dr Death

I've seen Dr Death referred to a few times within the rail enthusiast community, who is it?
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
I've seen Dr Death referred to a few times within the rail enthusiast community, who is it?
A well-known railway photographer from the Exeter area who is not Colin Marsden.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,436
Location
Yorkshire
On that note, buses don't stop at road stations, they stop at bus stations...
Let's not go there (ships, planes etc) ;)
From videos i`ve seen and the trailer for this show it seems he gets very excited very easily, is Luke like this in real life or just when he is being Francis?
He clearly is genuinely very passionate, but it surely must be an act to exaggerate his behaviour/reactions.

If anyone knows him personally, away from the act, it would be interesting to hear, but I refuse to believe that he genuinely gets this over excited, and isn't exaggerating at least partly.

I've seen Dr Death referred to a few times within the rail enthusiast community, who is it?
An elderly photographer who wears the same coat and hat and has done for many many decades.

I've seen him in the Exeter area at least couple of times.
 
Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
Let's not go there (ships, planes etc) ;)

He clearly is genuinely very passionate, but it surely must be an act to exaggerate his behaviour/reactions.

If anyone knows him personally, away from the act, it would be interesting to hear, but I refuse to believe that he genuinely gets this over excited, and isn't exaggerating at least partly.


An elderly photographer who wears the same coat and hat and has done for many many decades.

I've seen him in the Exeter area at least couple of times.
I have met Luke several times, he is a very pleasant chap. He's definitely enthusiastic, but not to the extent which he portrays on camera. He's very much an actor. He's much more normal in reality.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,662
Location
The West Country
I've seen Dr Death referred to a few times within the rail enthusiast community, who is it?
I`ve known him personally for many years and he is a nice and very knowledgeable chap. He really doesn`t deserve the abuse he gets when he is seen from passing trains.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,534
Location
LBK
I have met Luke several times, he is a very pleasant chap. He's definitely enthusiastic, but not to the extent which he portrays on camera. He's very much an actor. He's much more normal in reality.
I have met him too. Like most media personalities there is always a bit of acting - Francis Bourgeois is a pseudo-character where he plays an exaggerated version of himself. He's a nice bloke who deserves the success he has had. I don't believe people who say he has been "verbally abusive", he isn't like this at all and I rather suspect any reports of him doing this are more exaggerated than his excitement.
 

StoneRoad

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2010
Messages
486
Location
Haltwhistle
If that's who I think it is, no way am I watching the programme.
Even if 99% of his on-screen personna is acting !

Much as I like the 37 and their sound ...
 

Top