• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Francis Bourgeois and Chris Harris: We Saved a Train

Forty29

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2021
Messages
822
Location
Bicester
I enjoyed the last episode. Shame both of them couldn't make the trial run where 37025 failed with the seized fan motor. The scene at the buffer stops with the nameplate was amusing and showed they could end up doing other projects together. Was a good episode for both the casual viewer and enthusiast l thought.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpineOnABap

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2024
Messages
10
Location
Alsager
I've just finished the series after waiting until I'd got all eight episodes. Did them all in a few days and really enjoyed it. Very educational and fun too, and clearly didn't pretend that "they" (Francis and Chris) had saved it. I think the "we" in the title is the whole team involved. FB and CH never made out it was them running the restoration, and showed a lot of respect for the members of the team at SRPS (and elsewhere).
When I searched for and found this thread I was quite surprised by some of the negativity, although I shouldn't be having been around forums for so long. Some was even before an episode had aired!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I've followed this thread with casual interest and freely adnit to not having watched any of this*.
However, I'm interested to know if, through Chris and Luke's awareness-raising, SRPS or related funding-body were able to make new income (advertising, donations, sponsorship), to the railway's benefit? For me, that will be the real winner.

* However, I thoroughly enjoyed their (very "staged") one-off feature "Black Five and Drive" (it's TV - of course it's staged!).
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,670
Location
The West Country
Apparently Francis has been announced as one of the presenters of the revamped Grand Tour TV show. He and two others are to replace Hammond, Clarkson and May for the next series.Screenshot_19-7-2026_23831_www.mirror.co.uk.jpeg
Photo, Daily Mirror
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
321
Location
Brighton
Everyone has to make a living i suppose, but it’s a shame someone who’s made his reputation as a crank is now working on the dullest transportation topic there is. Cars are cool apparently and you get loads of chicks….
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
Apparently Francis has been announced as one of the presenters of the revamped Grand Tour TV show. He and two others are to replace Hammond, Clarkson and May for the next series.View attachment 207948
Photo, Daily Mirror
Honestly, trying to replicate the Clarkson-May-Hammond style programme without Clarkson, May, and Hammond, just feels a bit futile. Top Gear are going through presenters like modern day prime ministers because it just isn't the same; Grand Tour will suffer the same fate I suspect.

I don't really have a strong opinion on Francis. I'm not a fan of his presentation style but he clearly garners plenty of support, so each to their own.
 

Top