• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
And the on-route annoucements still claimed it was a 6-carriage train and admonished people travelling to Market Harborough to travel in the "front 5 carriages" of the 5-car 222.

Of course, the 6+2 HST formation has 240 (3x64 for the "ordinary" TS vehicles + 48 for the ex-TF) standard-class seats (slightly more than a 7-carriage 222), so EMT replace it with a 192-standard-seat 5-car 222 with obvious implications for crowding. Although, previously 1C92 was operated by whatever 222 was available, so 4-car units were pretty common (and 7's occasionally turned up), as long as it's never shorter than 5 then it's an improvement.

Also, yesterday, annoucements/PIS claimed that bicyles were not permitted on the train. Considering that no prior notice was given about that change and that EMT's cycle policy still states "we can guarantee two bikes per train" that seems a little unfair to commuters who could be stuck for up to an hour on some journeys...

Bikes are currently unable to be carried on these trains - they don't have a TGS (brake van) or any other provision for them to be stored safely. I believe options are being looked at.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
Bikes are currently unable to be carried on these trains - they don't have a TGS (brake van) or any other provision for them to be stored safely. I believe options are being looked at.

Yes, I understand that (although don't other operators carry bikes in the power cars?), it's more the fact that there was no prior notice, nor any update to the bike policy and other information on EMT's website that I'm commenting on.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,693
Yes, I understand that (although don't other operators carry bikes in the power cars?), it's more the fact that there was no prior notice, nor any update to the bike policy and other information on EMT's website that I'm commenting on.
There is this on the EMT regarding bikes but that is it about bikes. https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.u...-2018/Frequently-asked-questions/#Question 26
What if I need to travel on these trains with my bike?
Unfortunately we don't have dedicated spaces for cycles on these trains. If you have a folding bike, this can still be carried but it has to be stored in the luggage racks. Nearly all of our stations have free cycle storage. You could also travel on a different train, reserving your cycle in the usual way.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
Despite the earlier hysterics of some posters, Etches Park have got 467/468 back out for the evening service...
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Talking of a mess - is the East Coast/VTEC TGS that had a mix of original and FGW refurb seats still in the same state?! Or did they make them match when it had the Virgin refresh?
Seats have matching moquette but still different styles of seat (when I last saw it)
 

D2007wsm

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,316
But inst that a good thing they aren't replacing the IC70's, but I can understand about them being cheapskates though.
In this case no, the GWR First Class seats are far superior to the IC70 First Class seats.
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
There is this on the EMT regarding bikes but that is it about bikes. https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/train-times/20th-May-2018/Frequently-asked-questions/#Question 26
What if I need to travel on these trains with my bike?
Unfortunately we don't have dedicated spaces for cycles on these trains. If you have a folding bike, this can still be carried but it has to be stored in the luggage racks. Nearly all of our stations have free cycle storage. You could also travel on a different train, reserving your cycle in the usual way.

Well, I suppose it's good that there's a note hidden away somewhere on the site. Of course, it should be noted in the timetable and on the main bike policy information page. Both of which currently have incorrect information. Most passengers would be unlikely to check a page about timetable changes for bike policy information.

I also wonder how long that page has been displayed with the broken HTML title... A bit slapdash from a TOC that usually puts far more effort into marketing and publicity than they do into running a quality service.
 

mushroomchow

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2017
Messages
455
Location
Where HSTs Still Scream. Kind of.
Having travelled in both regularly, I prefer standard class IC70s to Grammers, but in first class there's no contest - GWR have the upper hand.

That standard class bias is probably more due to the appalling sardine-can refurbs FGW carried out, however. The Grammer is undoubtedly a comfortable seat, it's just been misused. If an operator had the balls to rip 2 or 3 rows out and realign accordingly, there would be no contest.

Not that it concerns me, as I'm usually at the window bashing if I've not got a first class ticket. :lol:
 

D2007wsm

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,316
Having travelled in both regularly, I prefer standard class IC70s to Grammers, but in first class there's no contest - GWR have the upper hand.

That standard class bias is probably more due to the appalling sardine-can refurbs FGW carried out, however. The Grammer is undoubtedly a comfortable seat, it's just been misused. If an operator had the balls to rip 2 or 3 rows out and realign accordingly, there would be no contest.

Not that it concerns me, as I'm usually at the window bashing if I've not got a first class ticket. :lol:
I travel on the GWR HSTs and find no problem with the Grammar seats, nor indeed the legroom which I do find a problem on some DMUs.

Yes they may be taller and more in a carriage, they also have movable armrests which make it much easier getting in and out. I'd rather have the seats like this with more in a carriage, than the IC70s which can be a pain to get in and out of due to the stupid armrests and less chance of getting a seat on a busy train.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
Could anyone advise have the ex GC HSTs any set diagrames during week days please

Post 527 (as well as the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread, and a few other posts) lists the weekday diagrams for the ex GC sets. There are no weekend diagrams that are timetabled.
 

richieb1971

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
2,047
Do these trains run certain services? I waited for a few hours on the MML near Bedford on Friday for one to pass, all were the longer older sets. I was waiting from 2pm until 5:30pm.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
Do these trains run certain services? I waited for a few hours on the MML near Bedford on Friday for one to pass, all were the longer older sets. I was waiting from 2pm until 5:30pm.

Yes they do, as mentioned several times - post 527 has the workings, and there should have been a set through Bedford at 1538, as well as it's subsequent northbound working at just before 1730.

I also gather that 43044 has been substituted for one of the buffered PCs now (43423 "Valenta"), and was working the diagram that starts at 0711 from Etches Park today
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
I also gather that 43044 has been substituted for one of the buffered PCs now (43423 Valenta), and was working the diagram that starts at 0711 from Etches Park today
That's correct - 43423 ripped from the set as planned and went light engine to Neville Hill yesterday for maintenance work.
 

richieb1971

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
2,047
Its quite possible I missed one of the workings driving my car location to location as my primary objective was looking for OHLE work and 4th track work on the wymington diversion. I did spend more than an hour in one location though and expected at least one buffer set to pass during that time (At Sharnbrook Junction where all trains pass).
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,693
Set DY23 was on East Midlands Today tonight having been refurbished (link below). All the seat types remain the same and layout which means one standard coach has 1+2 layout and old first class seats, all of standard has the EMT red seat design. First class has GWR design in both coaches but the old Grand Central seat type in the FO vehicle.

The report is at the start of the program (expires tomorrow 7pm)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bhmzzj/east-midlands-today-evening-news-05092018
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,653
Location
Hampshire
Set DY23 was on East Midlands Today tonight having been refurbished (link below). All the seat types remain the same and layout which means one standard coach has 1+2 layout and old first class seats, all of standard has the EMT red seat design. First class has GWR design in both coaches but the old Grand Central seat type in the FO vehicle.

The report is at the start of the program (expires tomorrow 7pm)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bhmzzj/east-midlands-today-evening-news-05092018

Thanks for that link, It's rather interesting to see that EMT has refurbished the ex GC First Class vehicles to match that of the ex First GWR Versions, albeit with the IC70 seats. Still rather proving to me that First has managed to create something of a legacy, and lost it with the 800s.

Did anyone note the Dfts confirmation of the new franchise bidders in that - Stagecoach, Abellio and Arriva.

There is also an East Midlands press release now available with pictures of the ex FGWR Buffet First Class and ex TF now TS.

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.u...gether-to-Deliver-New-Look-High-Speed-Trains/
News from East Midlands Trains
06.09.2018
Derby Business Working Together to Deliver 'New Look' High Speed Trains
HST_Angel_1.JPG


  • Derby businesses worked in partnership to refurbish latest arrivals to East Midlands Trains fleet
  • First of three additional High Speed Trains now completely refurbished
  • Work on remaining two units now underway
The first of three newly refurbished High Speed Trains (HST) has been unveiled in Derby today (Wednesday 5th September), providing extra capacity and a more comfortable customer experience.

The improvements have been delivered by a group of Derby businesses which has helped to create new jobs and delivered investment into the local rail industry.

The first completed unit, DY23 is now fully refurbished and undergoing final testing runs this week and will enter customer service next month.

DY22 and DY21 will be completed by the end of October. The trains will operate across the Midland Main Line, connecting Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham and Leicester with London St Pancras International.

Derby based East Midlands Trains, Loram, SNC-Lavalin and DG Design all worked together to deliver the improvements for customers on the refurbishment of the three HSTs, which joined East Midlands Trains from Great Western Railway and Grand Central in May.

Leased through Angel, and provided in agreement with the Department for Transport as part of the May timetable change, the three HSTs are being carefully refurbished at Etches Park Maintenance Depot in Derby to ensure they are comparable with the rest of the East Midlands Trains Fleet.

Chris Wright, Fleet Director for East Midlands Trains said: “It has been fantastic to see the refurbishment of the additional High Speed Trains that we welcomed in to our fleet earlier this year, near completion. These trains are being upgraded and improved to match the standard of the rest of our main line fleet, helping our customers to have a enjoyable journey with us.

“It’s particularly pleasing we have been able to provide these improvements by working locally with neighbouring suppliers, creating jobs and delivering investment into the local Derby rail industry.

“I would like to thank all the Derby rail companies who worked us and we look forward to seeing all the completed trains in customer service very soon.”

Technical details:

  • Each set is made up of two Class 43 Powercars and six Trailer Cars (Coaches)
  • Average weekly mileage is circa 2,200 per set or 115,000 miles per year
  • They are slightly lighter and quicker to accelerate than existing HSTs with the same top speed of 125mph
  • Each train provides 306 seats, including power sockets through standard and First Class and WiFi
DY23_1.JPG
DY23_2.JPG
 

mushroomchow

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2017
Messages
455
Location
Where HSTs Still Scream. Kind of.
Anorak time - just look at the window alignment in that standard class and weep for something lost to the ages.

I still count my lucky stars we have the HSTs on the Midland Mainline. Even though a lot of sets are clearly a bit worse for wear now, they're still reliable and more comfortable than what many endure on other parts of the network. These refurbished GC units look like a step up too - looking forward to hopefully riding one in the near future.

EMT are generally doing a great job with their refurbs recently - caught a refurbished 156 recently and was surprised at the cleanliness and quality of the work done.
 

Goldie

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
156
Anorak time - just look at the window alignment in that standard class and weep for something lost to the ages.

I still count my lucky stars we have the HSTs on the Midland Mainline. Even though a lot of sets are clearly a bit worse for wear now, they're still reliable and more comfortable than what many endure on other parts of the network. These refurbished GC units look like a step up too - looking forward to hopefully riding one in the near future.

EMT are generally doing a great job with their refurbs recently - caught a refurbished 156 recently and was surprised at the cleanliness and quality of the work done.

There's nothing anorak-y about wanting to be able to look out of a window. It's a sign of how far our reasonable expectetations of rail travel have been lowered by years of poor service on the part of some TOCs and the government. Being willing to accept a seat with no view is one symptom of the rail pasenger's equivalent of Stockholm syndrome.
 

Rail Blues

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2016
Messages
608
There's nothing anorak-y about wanting to be able to look out of a window. It's a sign of how far our reasonable expectetations of rail travel have been lowered by years of poor service on the part of some TOCs and the government. Being willing to accept a seat with no view is one symptom of the rail pasenger's equivalent of Stockholm syndrome.

No it isn't. I for one couldn't give a rat's ass if the seat lines up with a window. 9 times out of 10 I am working or reading a book so my focus isn't on the window. Even if it isn't I would prefer seating capacity was maximised, if it is a choice between standing on a carriage of perfectly aligned seats or actually getting a seat on a carriage which has some seats with restricted views out, I'll pick the latter every single time, as I would imagine most regular travellers, aside from a few 'window anoraks'.
 

Goldie

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
156
No it isn't. I for one couldn't give a rat's ass if the seat lines up with a window. 9 times out of 10 I am working or reading a book so my focus isn't on the window. Even if it isn't I would prefer seating capacity was maximised, if it is a choice between standing on a carriage of perfectly aligned seats or actually getting a seat on a carriage which has some seats with restricted views out, I'll pick the latter every single time, as I would imagine most regular travellers, aside from a few 'window anoraks'.

I would say that feeling that it is acceptable to have to make a choice between standing or getting a poorly positioned seat is also a symptom of the rail passenger's equivalent of Stockholm syndrome ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top