• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

formal warning for using a photo Oyster card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashk07

On Moderation
Joined
28 Sep 2024
Messages
9
Location
lindon
Hi I have today recieved a formal warning for using a photo Oyster card I’m glad I hope I can help someone with my experience xx
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
@ashk07. Welcome to the forum. As @Eyersey468 asks, what was the nature of this "final warning" for using / misusing the card? Are you possibly needing advice from the forum in connection with the incident, or are you maybe now looking to provide general advice for others?
 

ashk07

On Moderation
Joined
28 Sep 2024
Messages
9
Location
lindon
Well I used 18+ student Oyster card
But due to mitigation circumstances and use of solicitor I got off thankfully
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
Well I used 18+ student Oyster card
But due to mitigation circumstances and use of solicitor I got off thankfully

If you feel able to do so, please can you tell us the name of the solicitor you used and how much they charged?
 

Leo12

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
67
Location
London
Well I used 18+ student Oyster card
But due to mitigation circumstances and use of solicitor I got off thankfully
Can you please explain your whole situation? When did you caught and since when you were using it? And how did many days TFL took to issue you warning?
 

ashk07

On Moderation
Joined
28 Sep 2024
Messages
9
Location
lindon
Can you please explain your whole situation? When did you caught and since when you were using it? And how did many days TFL took to issue you warning?
I used it for long time but didn’t know its an offence they gave me warning after 3 months almost because of my mitigation circumstances
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
The exact circumstances are a bit unclear; can you please edit your original post so that it's really clear what happened?

Also, does this relate to a matter that was previously posted on this forum?
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,605
The exact circumstances are a bit unclear; can you please edit your original post so that it's really clear what happened?

Also, does this relate to a matter that was previously posted on this forum?
Based on post 6 I think what has happened is the OP used someone else's Oyster card that they weren't entitled to use
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
The exact circumstances are a bit unclear; can you please edit your original post so that it's really clear what happened?

Also, does this relate to a matter that was previously posted on this forum?
I think the first and only post @ashk07 made before yesterday was a comment in a thread about a similar problem, but his own problem was never explicitly stated:
 

ashk07

On Moderation
Joined
28 Sep 2024
Messages
9
Location
lindon
Based on post 6 I think what has happened is the OP used someone else's Oyster card that they weren't entitled to use
Yea that’s true I don’t know how to create a new thread but your more then welcome to ask any questions
 

Leo12

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
67
Location
London
Yea that’s true I don’t know how to create a new thread but your more then welcome to ask any questions
Could you please write what were the main points your solicitor has highlighted in your explanation? And after how many days you received final response from them?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread in future it should not be assumed that misuse of a Zip Oyster or Freedom Passes will result in a formal warning. TfL almost always prosecute these sorrt of cases and a formal warning is unusual.

There are several factors TfL take into account when deciding whether or not to prosecute and these factors might not apply in other cases.
 

ashk07

On Moderation
Joined
28 Sep 2024
Messages
9
Location
lindon
Loss of my job first time offence and the way it happend and then dependence of my family on my income with 12 documents attached
 

Leo12

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
67
Location
London
Loss of my job first time offence and the way it happend and then dependence of my family on my income with 12 documents attached
Thank you for your response. Could you also please confirm after sending the response to TFL how long after they issued you a warning letter? I just want to know a roughly timeline.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread in future it should not be assumed that misuse of a Zip Oyster or Freedom Passes will result in a formal warning. TfL almost always prosecute these sort of cases and a formal warning is unusual.

There are several factors TfL take into account when deciding whether or not to prosecute and these factors might not apply in other cases.

This is a really important point.

I sometimes wonder if Freedom Passes and the various Oyster photocards should carry a 'health warning' on them cautioning of the likely severity of sanction that will follow if misuse by someone who is not the holder is discovered.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Loss of my job first time offence and the way it happend and then dependence of my family on my income with 12 documents attached
I’m baffled by this - are you saying that you lost your job because of this, even though you avoided prosecution? And there are no documents attached to your post.
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
I’m baffled by this - are you saying that you lost your job because of this, even though you avoided prosecution? And there are no documents attached to your post.

I think the op is saying that if they have been convicted then:
(1) they would have lost their job
The extenuating circumstances appear to be:
(1) this was their first offence albeit they had been using the card for some months
(2) the family was dependent on their income (the husband is a student)
(3) they were new to the UK and its system / did not know the card was not transferable.
The solicitor provided 12 pieces of evidence to TfL

Personally I think the Op has been very fortunate to get this outcome because the above points seem very similar to those we have seen in cases that has led to the person being convicted.

As I said in an earlier thread I have my suspicions that TfL can be persuaded / much more likely to issue a warning when the passenger has employed a solicitor, has incurred a considerable cost (of the solicitor) and "xxxxx". I am not sure what "xxxx" is but I am minded to think it is something to do with how long they have been in the UK / lack of experience of how TfL ticketing works.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top