Interesting how the conversation went from different rates of pay in different companies to what it really takes to be a bus driver and what comes with it. Thanks a lot for all your posts, it does answer some of the questions, that haven't been asked yet.
You all did make me think I've made a right choice to apply for the job. I used to do 60 hours a week on average and I'm not scared of short breaks (at least you could go to the loo once per shift!!!) or being treated as a person, who only just starts working in the company. C'mon, noone expects being treated equally (wishful thinking) and you all do know, that being a beginner is not easy. But the job is paid from the start well above minimum wage, I don't quite understand how £20k could not fulfill someone's needs. I've been on £12k per year, my partner was £14.5k and we were both happy, being able to pay back our small loans and credit cards. I guess it all depends on your lifestyle and how much you expect from your life. Expect nothing and be nicely surprised, expect everything and keep on struggling...
In terms of the answer to the main subject of this post: I just found out, that apparently First does something like 100% attendance bonus, when you're not late for your shift and you don't call sick. My friend told me, that his friend's wages are around £1500 cash in hand after 8 years of service for First (he's always on time an he goes to work even when feeling sick, god bless his passengers...). It would mean, that there is a scheme, that supports those, who are comitted to stay in the company and are reliable. Would be great news for me, as I've never called sick and I was late maybe 3-4 times in the last 10 years or so. My friend who worked for Burger King said, that provided you've got 100% attendance and you're not late, for every hour worked they give you £0.50, which works out around £80 per week/£4000 per year. I wonder whether it's the case in above mentioned bus companies...