You don’t think every bus user in Bradford being forced to wait at a single bus stop in the rain for a whole year before catching a bus stuck in endless traffic didn’t have an effect on passenger numbers?
No, because the vast majority of people using the bus in Bradford already waited at bus stops in the city centre. A bus shelter on Nelson Street or Manor Row isn't any different to a bus shelter on Market Street or Sunbridge Road.
There wasn't really that much congestion related to the pedestrianisation, either.
The Interchange bus station being closed wasn't much fun, but it didn't affect most bus passengers.
I do agree with you that the AI timetables have worsened matters however, but I think the affect the closure of Interchange has had is undeniable.
I don't think it has much effect because most people using buses in Bradford don't use the Interchange. They never have. They use the bus stops on the streets in the city centre. The only exceptions are those catching a bus to the Interchange to catch a train or those routes which don't go into the city centre (e.g. 576, 268).
The issue is that First have been running the service into the ground for years. The AI timetables are just the cherry on the top, a way of cutting the service from 2bph to 3bp2h whilst hoping that nobody notices.
First aren't going to go down without a fight when it comes to franchising. Of course, they'll see a reduced presence in West Yorkshire compared to now, but I'd still expect them to have some pretty Big contracts.
I wouldn't mind them having contracts where someone else sets the timetable and the fares.
Truthfully though, I can't see them giving a toss about contracts anywhere other than Leeds. A bit like now, really. They certainly don't give a toss about Bradford or Halifax and they haven't done for at least a decade.
The current situation is completely untenable, Brabin is right about how bus deregulation has failed huge swathes of West Yorkshire.