• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

kenchad4

New Member
Joined
25 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
I applied for the New Cross position. I received another email asking to fill in some more details, I wasn't sure whether it was a scam or not. Did another else receive such an email ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RS1225

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2025
Messages
12
Location
London
Thank you so much!! I took your advice and got some stuff from Railprep which has been useful!

A question to you (and others) in the invitation E-mail It recommended me to focus on the following tests for this assessment

  • Group Bourdon
  • Tea-Occ (Test of Everyday Attention)
  • M7-SJT (Situational Judgement Test)
  • DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test)

Just so i know, im not expecting any other surprises in a sense that there are most tests i would have to do but they havent specified in the e-mail? just want to make sure im revising the right things!
Thanks :)
you’re so welcome! and yesss you’ll only be tested on those for stage 1:) and the which you don’t do now you’ll do in stage 2
 

signalmaster

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2025
Messages
36
Location
wembley
hello guys,

I have applied for GTR 7 months ago and passed all psychometric assessments to enhanced level but failed DMI. I now applied to Willesden junction depot. I received the rejection followed by acceptance and filled out the form for OPC to check my previous results on the database. I then received an email inviting me to OPC, I need to do the visual search exercise and M7SJT.

I am confused how some people get to do these online and i have to come in person to do those tests.

Also, any hints or tips for those assessments

what stages do these need to be completed both on the same day or apart?
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
hello guys,

I have applied for GTR 7 months ago and passed all psychometric assessments to enhanced level but failed DMI. I now applied to Willesden junction depot. I received the rejection followed by acceptance and filled out the form for OPC to check my previous results on the database. I then received an email inviting me to OPC, I need to do the visual search exercise and M7SJT.

I am confused how some people get to do these online and i have to come in person to do those tests.

Also, any hints or tips for those assessments

what stages do these need to be completed both on the same day or apart?
For the overground you have to do the VSE in person as well as online.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Does anybody know how long the Zellis background checking takes? Do they notify you once complete?
 
Last edited:

Hot rod

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
24
Just received an email on the lines of “hold tight” we will get back to you soon. Take a look at job description and let us know if the role is for you . Has anyone else received such an email?
 

Hamna

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2023
Messages
76
Location
London
Just received an email on the lines of “hold tight” we will get back to you soon. Take a look at job description and let us know if the role is for you . Has anyone else received such an email?
No I didn’t get back anything yet no emails like that but may be in morning we got this email
 

RS1225

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2025
Messages
12
Location
London
Does anyone know if arriva sends some sort of final confirmation after the medical and references are all good? I have signed the contract and my medical went well, just wondering if there’s some sort of communication from Arriva to confirm that all requirements have been met? Thanks!
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
Does anyone know if arriva sends some sort of final confirmation after the medical and references are all good? I have signed the contract and my medical went well, just wondering if there’s some sort of communication from Arriva to confirm that all requirements have been met? Thanks!
I’m in the same boat. Everything signed, sealed and received from HR. In the email it said to wait for information from your line manager. When do you start?
 

RS1225

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2025
Messages
12
Location
London
I’m in the same boat. Everything signed, sealed and received from HR. In the email it said to wait for information from your line manager. When do you start?
I should be starting on the 24th of November! Was thinking about maybe calling the Zellis company next week to ask whether the reference checks have been completed and then calling the Arriva HR department itself to see if they’ve received all the info they need. Would be good to know so I can figure out when to give my notice
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
I should be starting on the 24th of November! Was thinking about maybe calling the Zellis company next week to ask whether the reference checks have been completed and then calling the Arriva HR department itself to see if they’ve received all the info they need. Would be good to know so I can figure out when to give my notice
When trying to log into Zellis via the link that they originally sent it does say “this check is now complete” so I’m assuming it’s all done and dusted. I’m also starting on the 24th.
 

mc234

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2023
Messages
13
Location
London
I’m in the same boat. Everything signed, sealed and received from HR. In the email it said to wait for information from your line manager. When do you start?
When you say everything signed and received, is that the contract itself or the starter packs? I printed the sheets hand written them then scanned them back as it wouldn't allow me to edit the document lol, im yet to receive a date for the medical. Also starting on the 24th November.
 

Mr Francis

Member
Joined
21 May 2025
Messages
49
Location
London
When you say everything signed and received, is that the contract itself or the starter packs? I printed the sheets hand written them then scanned them back as it wouldn't allow me to edit the document lol, im yet to receive a date for the medical. Also starting on the 24th November.
Contract and starter packs. Completed and passed my medical as well.
 

Alex_09

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
47
Just got an email I’m progressing to the next stage online testing
 

Mertel94

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2019
Messages
11
Location
London
Just got an email I’m progressing to the next stage online testing
I have received this too

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Are the SHL tests a new extra step for ARL? I sat the online VSE test last week as part of my other application for Chiltern. Does this mean I passed my VSE?
 
Last edited:

train_nopain

New Member
Joined
8 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
london
Also had the same for New Cross. Assessments need to be completed by 12 October.

I’m aware that the ARL contract with Tfl ends in March 2026. If their tender is not selected to continue the service, I’m wondering what happens with these jobs, especially as anyone successful would still be in training.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
Also had the same for New Cross. Assessments need to be completed by 12 October.

I’m aware that the ARL contract with Tfl ends in March 2026. If their tender is not selected to continue the service, I’m wondering what happens with these jobs, especially as anyone successful would still be in training.
You transfer over to the new company, same as everyone else.
 

crunchgamet8

New Member
Joined
9 Oct 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
I only anwsered 10 questions for the spatial test in the 15 minutes will that mean a fail
 
Last edited:

Top