• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fip coupons to Salzburg from munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyod13

New Member
Joined
19 Feb 2018
Messages
3
Hi I have never used the fip coupons before.if traveling from Munich to Salzburg and back is it DB or obb coupons you use?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,025
Location
here to eternity

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
I would have said both too, but my Thomas Cook rail map of Europe shows Salzburg as the border station. If so a DB coupon would suffice, Freilassing in Germany is closest to the border, but isn’t shown as the frontier. Certainly one worth checking. I’ve done the journey and did date my Austrian coupon but was travelling beyond Salzburg later the same day so that’s not much help.

Note that the coupon is valid for the network you are travelling on, not for the country that operates the train.

If you do need the Austrian coupon too, note the €10 / €15 supplement. This has been running for a year now and the honeymoon period where some conductors were prepared to allow discretion if you didn’t have one is running out. An Austrian conductor I spoke to said they hate this supplement as they feel they are robbing a fellow railwayman.
 
Last edited:

Tonyod13

New Member
Joined
19 Feb 2018
Messages
3
Thanks for the information much appreciated.just a quick question if I'm reading it right the coupons are vailid on railjet but not meridian trains? Again thanks for the help.
 

D6700

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
758
Although not necessarily 100% aligned with this case, normal German train tickets are available to/from Salzburg Hbf.

Earlier this month, I had a Sparpreis Europa from Salzburg to Brig (Switzerland), which was a DB ticket, not OBB. In two weeks time, I have another DB Sparpreis Europa from Salzburg to London. When purchasing both tickets, I was able to select both Railjet and Meridian services.

I have also used a Bayern ticket in/out of Salzburg. They are also valid to/from Kufstein and Reutte.
 

D6700

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
758
Out of curiosity, would I be right in guessing the non-validity of such coupons to Salzburg on Meridian services is because they are not valid on Meridian at all, rather than to/from Salzburg specifically? A mate told me his passes are not valid on many private regional operators in Germany.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Only slightly related but I was once gripped by an OBB conductor on a Zurich - Münich IC for not having an OBB coupon (I had the SBB and DB coupons though). To be fair, it was my fault, I had failed to appreciate that the route nipped into Austria for a few miles around Bregenz. He wasn't particularly charitable to the railway family back then.
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,025
Location
here to eternity
Only slightly related but I was once gripped by an OBB conductor on a Zurich - Münich IC for not having an OBB coupon (I had the SBB and DB coupons though). To be fair, it was my fault, I had failed to appreciate that the route nipped into Austria for a few miles around Bregenz. He wasn't particularly charitable to the railway family back then.

A slight anomaly in the rules occurs in Switzerland where an SBB or BLS coupon is valid from Brig to Domodossola in Italy. Not sure if an FS coupon would be valid the other way though!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
A slight anomaly in the rules occurs in Switzerland where an SBB or BLS coupon is valid from Brig to Domodossola in Italy. Not sure if an FS coupon would be valid the other way though!

The route is operated by the Swiss, which may explain it.
 

EAD

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2014
Messages
238
The route is operated by the Swiss, which may explain it.
Indeed. Just to clarify in general, tariff and operational borders frequently do not align with the geographic border.
So, in that case Domodossola is the border between Swiss and Italian railway operations. Salzburg Hbf as has been mentioned is the border DB/OeBB even though the geographic border is on the Saalach river just beyond Freilassing.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
Yes, you can use your DB coupon to and from Salzburg, but not on Meridian services.

Concur with this: FIP facilities are not valid on any non-DB service in Germany although in my experience some discretion will occasionally be shown on this point by any conductor you meet (they are infrequent on regional services). Salzburg is the historic frontier between DB and OEBB networks: I remember when there was a passport and customs check on the station, but it has now been completely rebuilt with modern roofs and much more space: it is a great credit to OEBB!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top