• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park disused platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,706
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
One of the lines at Finsbury Park has a platform on both sides, with one side disused, 5 I believe. However, unusually, this is not fenced and has a platform number as well as a set of PIS screens!

Why is this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Warwick

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
353
Location
On the naughty step again.
A platform either side of a train! Have you no idea just how dangerous and life-threatening such a platform is? Allowing people to board and disembark from each side will lead to madness. It was done like this there for a hundred years until people realised the folly and danger of such things. Carry on like this and the next thing you know people will be wanting to pass between coaches on a moving train.
 

Esker-pades

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2015
Messages
3,784
Location
Beds, Bucks, or somewhere else
I understand why they decide not to open doors on both sides at stations such as Norwood Junction because one side has the 3rd rail. But, the 3rd rail isn't a thing at Finsbury Park. So, why the policy of one side only?
 

Warwick

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
353
Location
On the naughty step again.
Ordinarily, the 'door operator' (wherever they are) has to check doors are closed and no one does something stupid as the train departs. They can't check both sides at the same time.
Yet it was done for over 100 years - with slam door stock! Power operated sliding doors make it easier and safer.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Yet it was done for over 100 years - with slam door stock! Power operated sliding doors make it easier and safer.

Not really, you still need to have a clear view of the entire length of the train which applies to both slam door and power operated doors for the simple reason that too many accidents have occurred where people have been caught in the doors and dragged, some even seriously injured as a result.

So no, power operated doors don't make it easier and safer and to prove my point, the report by the RIAB explains in great detail about the train door incident that happened a few years ago at Huntingdon and at Kings Cross which explain why power operated doors are not necessarily easier and safer!

https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/huntingdon-train-door-incident

https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/per...pulled-along-platform-at-king-s-cross-station
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I understand why they decide not to open doors on both sides at stations such as Norwood Junction because one side has the 3rd rail. But, the 3rd rail isn't a thing at Finsbury Park. So, why the policy of one side only?

I can't speak for the specifics of the situation and stock, but I believe with Desiros that a door close demand on either side of the train by the guards initiates it for both sides of the train and the guard can't be in two places at once. Not sure if the stock used on the ECML has a similar issue (be it most is DOO)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
One of the lines at Finsbury Park has a platform on both sides, with one side disused, 5 I believe. However, unusually, this is not fenced and has a platform number as well as a set of PIS screens!

Why is this?

It causes a few issues at times where someone alights from another train and tries to board a service where the doors are released on the opposite side.

While a slim risk, there is perhaps a risk that someone is trying to open the doors on the side that isn't being observed for dispatch. Perhaps it has been risk assessed, but I've been on a train and seen people trying to get on - being told by people on the train to come to the other side.

If and when they realise, they then sprint - which in itself brings with it some risk.

The railway can argue that the train isn't advertised on any screens on the 'wrong' platform, but it could be worth putting up some sort of fencing or signs to make it clear you cannot board (or alight). Many people each day also incorrectly attempt to open doors on the wrong side (and why wouldn't they if they looked out to see a platform and didn't realise there was a platform both sides?).
 

theageofthetra

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2012
Messages
3,565
Location
Beckenham
Works fine at a station I used in Japan. Doors open one side- everyone gets off. Doors open other side everyone gets on. All in a nice orderly queue, no pushing etc.
 

reytomas1228

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2017
Messages
41
What will happen once lifts are added to platforms 5-6 and this becomes the only step-free way to access services on platform 7? Will both sides open?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,706
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The railway can argue that the train isn't advertised on any screens on the 'wrong' platform, but it could be worth putting up some sort of fencing or signs to make it clear you cannot board (or alight). Many people each day also incorrectly attempt to open doors on the wrong side (and why wouldn't they if they looked out to see a platform and didn't realise there was a platform both sides?).

I noticed it precisely because I attempted to open on the wrong side (without success, obviously).

The thing that I found remarkable was as I said that it wasn't fenced and more remarkable that it was marked as Platform 5 (I think) with signage and at least two modern PIS screens. I wonder if the latter just happened as a result of a contract to "fit screens to all non-fenced-off platform faces" or somesuch. What I think we can be sure of is that they won't ever show a train departure! Or is that side used on rare occasions e.g. to segregate football crowds?
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,024
Guildford platform 7 is the same - it abuts the same track as platform 6, and as the third rail is on the p7 side, that's the one that isn't used. The PIS displays on p7 are the same as on other platforms, but permanently stating that the platform is not in use and that train doors will not be opened on that side. There's no fencing to the edge of p7.

Presumably in the days of slam door stock, pax could in practice use either side of the train, but I can't remember what the platform displays said at that time. I suspect the Ascot services may have been the last slammers to use that track somewhere around 2004, as I think the WR DMUs on the Redhill line had been replaced by Turbos rather earlier.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I honestly think the great British public cannot (or rather, will not) behave in such a disciplined manner.

And on the DLR at Canary Wharf, unless that's changed- it's a long time since I've been there. Nevertheless, for a long time it was done there.

Canary Wharf is not the only location. People cope perfectly well with this arrangement on the Tube at Morden and Stratford as well. It is entirely civilised (well, by the standards of London commuting!).
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I noticed it precisely because I attempted to open on the wrong side (without success, obviously).

The thing that I found remarkable was as I said that it wasn't fenced and more remarkable that it was marked as Platform 5 (I think) with signage and at least two modern PIS screens. I wonder if the latter just happened as a result of a contract to "fit screens to all non-fenced-off platform faces" or somesuch. What I think we can be sure of is that they won't ever show a train departure! Or is that side used on rare occasions e.g. to segregate football crowds?

In over 30 years I have never known platform 6 be used for passengers. I wonder what used to happen in class 312 days?

On the up side, what is now platform 3 did of course used to be the main up slow platform - it was only shunned when the new island was built. For a while drivers made announcements advising people that the doors would now open on the left not the right. It still catches people out occasionally.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
I honestly think the great British public cannot (or rather, will not) behave in such a disciplined manner.

Passengers queueing at Canary Wharf tube station during the rush hour.

P1170633a.jpg

Source: citytransport.info
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
When was that staged?!
#FakeQueues
I've seen it myself. I must admit I was surprised at the time as I'd never seen anything like it in Britain before.

But it's not fake. If you don't believe me, go and check it out one afternoon yourself.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
I've seen it myself. I must admit I was surprised at the time as I'd never seen anything like it in Britain before.

But it's not fake. If you don't believe me, go and check it out one afternoon yourself.

I do actually believe you!
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I've seen it myself. I must admit I was surprised at the time as I'd never seen anything like it in Britain before.

But it's not fake. If you don't believe me, go and check it out one afternoon yourself.

Definitely not fake - happens every evening peak. Waterloo W&C can be bit similar too.

There’s a few stations on the GN where queues form at the expected door positions - although not sure if it still happens since the timetable shambles. Hitchin and Stevenage are two which spring to mind. Hitchin in particular is quite well known for people turning up 20+ minutes early to get their desired spot on the platform. In the return direction it’s also common for people to make their way to the doors ridiculously early in order to be first off (and presumably first out of the station / first out of the car park). I’m resisting the temptation to write a little more about self-importance.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Definitely not fake - happens every evening peak. Waterloo W&C can be bit similar too.

There’s a few stations on the GN where queues form at the expected door positions - although not sure if it still happens since the timetable shambles. Hitchin and Stevenage are two which spring to mind. Hitchin in particular is quite well known for people turning up 20+ minutes early to get their desired spot on the platform. In the return direction it’s also common for people to make their way to the doors ridiculously early in order to be first off (and presumably first out of the station / first out of the car park). I’m resisting the temptation to write a little more about self-importance.

We commuters know exactly how to behave (even those from Stevenage!). Orderly queues and tranquil trains (it's like travelling in a library where even making a phone call is frowned upon!) It all goes wrong around 09:30 on weekends and all day at weekends when the tourists start travelling...
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
Ordinarily, the 'door operator' (wherever they are) has to check doors are closed and no one does something stupid as the train departs. They can't check both sides at the same time.
They can if they have enough monitors. :o

Oh, I think the "disused" platform is actually platform 6. According to realtimetrains, 1 train used platform 6 today (the 9:04 to Cambridge North), and 5 used platform 5 (all northbound). This compares with 92 trains for platform 7. While a single person can't see both sides of a train at once, whether or not the doors are open, it helps a lot if the island on one side of the train is deserted.

Really, though, the best thing to do to allow both sides of the train to be used would be to make platform 6 exit-only for some trains, and block off the stairs until the train arrives to encourage compliance. Then all you need to do is work out how much time using both sides would actually save
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
They can if they have enough monitors. :o

Oh, I think the "disused" platform is actually platform 6. According to realtimetrains, 1 train used platform 6 today (the 9:04 to Cambridge North), and 5 used platform 5 (all northbound). This compares with 92 trains for platform 7. While a single person can't see both sides of a train at once, whether or not the doors are open, it helps a lot if the island on one side of the train is deserted.

Really, though, the best thing to do to allow both sides of the train to be used would be to make platform 6 exit-only for some trains, and block off the stairs until the train arrives to encourage compliance. Then all you need to do is work out how much time using both sides would actually save

Block off the stairs how? a barrier someone would open, or staff who would waste their time and still have people push past.

Trust me, if people discovered they could 'jump the queue' they would. And when stopped, they'd be first to go on Twitter. Or live stream it.
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Best thing to do is fence of platforms 3 and 6 at Finsbury Park and renumber the others. I've never understood the point of having numbered faces that aren't used.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Best thing to do is fence of platforms 3 and 6 at Finsbury Park and renumber the others. I've never understood the point of having numbered faces that aren't used.

As they did at Alexandra Palace a few years ago when the old platform 1 became the new Platform 2.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,822
Location
West of Andover
Best thing to do is fence of platforms 3 and 6 at Finsbury Park and renumber the others. I've never understood the point of having numbered faces that aren't used.

Isn't part of platform 6 fenced off these days? (With doors being released on the platform 7 side)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top