Blamethrower
Member
For most people, driving to the station and parking there saves the hassle of waiting for buses at the beginning and end of the days (as they are not normally timed with the trains)
My wife has just started taking the car to the station instead of the bus and she saves half an hour every day. That is not to be sniffed at. However.....
I think why the OP has an issue with this is that car park charges have gone up way beyond inflation in the last 10 years as TOCs who run the stations seek more ways to make money other than fare. A major expenditure for commuting is now car parking, which in many cases is actually more expensive than the train tickets.
Take Milton Keynes as a case in point.
Central has parking which is about £9.50 (last time I went)
Bletchley has parking at about £3.60 (last time I went)
Yes central has more connections but seriously, how can virgin justify charging nearly 300% more than a LM station in what is essentially the same city?
Take Bedford.
North side of the station is about £8.60
The other side (council owned) is about £7.40
Why?
I believe that they are just setting that price because they think they can fleece the people who apparently can afford to pay more and I also feel that it is unlawful to charge different prices throughout the network. Car parking shouldn't be surreptitiously means tested.
They don't set charges to dissuade people from using their services. If you believe that then you are a mug, they say that to simply pass extra costs onto the consumers whilst their salaries remain the same.
My wife has just started taking the car to the station instead of the bus and she saves half an hour every day. That is not to be sniffed at. However.....
I think why the OP has an issue with this is that car park charges have gone up way beyond inflation in the last 10 years as TOCs who run the stations seek more ways to make money other than fare. A major expenditure for commuting is now car parking, which in many cases is actually more expensive than the train tickets.
Take Milton Keynes as a case in point.
Central has parking which is about £9.50 (last time I went)
Bletchley has parking at about £3.60 (last time I went)
Yes central has more connections but seriously, how can virgin justify charging nearly 300% more than a LM station in what is essentially the same city?
Take Bedford.
North side of the station is about £8.60
The other side (council owned) is about £7.40
Why?
I believe that they are just setting that price because they think they can fleece the people who apparently can afford to pay more and I also feel that it is unlawful to charge different prices throughout the network. Car parking shouldn't be surreptitiously means tested.
They don't set charges to dissuade people from using their services. If you believe that then you are a mug, they say that to simply pass extra costs onto the consumers whilst their salaries remain the same.
Last edited: