On the 7th June my wife was unable to travel due to being admitted to hospital due to ill health. She had pre-booked off peak returns for 7th June, Redruth - Exeter St Davids.
I tweeted FGW and asked about obtaining a refund, and was advised to take a hospital letter to the ticket office the tickets were purchased from for a refund. Twitter advised me the £10 admin fee would be avoided with a medical document taken to the station with the unused tickets. (Screen print of Tweet attached)
I went to Redruth station on the afternoon of the 6th June with medical letter from Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske. The ticket office clerk told me that the £10 admin fee can not be waived under any circumstances, and told me to call the FGW customer service number, an 0845 number which cost me £6.00 according to my phone bill. The customer service telephone number confirmed the ticket office should waive the admin fee in the circumstances. FGW customer service number called the station office as they stood their ground that they wouldn't waive the admin fee. They continued to refuse despite the customer service team requesting they do so.
The call centre requested I send the tickets and medical documents to them and advised me I would have a refund within 14 days. I posted this to them on the 6th June.
I have today received a snobbish letter back saying they are only waiving the admin fee because of the inconvenience caused. The letter goes on to say that I shouldn't have been told the fee could be waived, as it is down to the discretion of the ticket office clerk at the point of refund.
I had a conversation with 2 members of their Twitter team, and 2 different staff members in their call centre. This has highlighted to me a fundamental process failing, where the customer service team are providing information which is completely incorrect according to their ticket office and letter based team. For the company I work for if a member of staff advised a customer something we honour it, especially where the customer has something from Twitter team, and the call centre calling the front line instructing to waive the admin fee. We would never argue it with the customer. Its for the sake of £10, not like its a big sum to FGW.
My other complaint is by the time the cheque clears we are going to have been 5 weeks since the refund was requested. Completely unacceptable in this day and age especially where the NRCoC states I should have been provided a refund by the ticket office.
I was prepared to write off the full tickets in all honesty, but once the ticket office starts arguing with me, the Twitter feed and the call centre I decide to take it on until the admin fee was waived. Arguing with the call centre was the personal highlight to me which showed customers didn't come first. The station staff kept blaming it on his area manager.
It shows to me a company not working as one team and not having a clear set out mandate or process.
I sent FGW a print out of the tweets, dates and times of my calls to their call centre, which are allegedly recorded, along with the tickets.
I tweeted FGW and asked about obtaining a refund, and was advised to take a hospital letter to the ticket office the tickets were purchased from for a refund. Twitter advised me the £10 admin fee would be avoided with a medical document taken to the station with the unused tickets. (Screen print of Tweet attached)
I went to Redruth station on the afternoon of the 6th June with medical letter from Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske. The ticket office clerk told me that the £10 admin fee can not be waived under any circumstances, and told me to call the FGW customer service number, an 0845 number which cost me £6.00 according to my phone bill. The customer service telephone number confirmed the ticket office should waive the admin fee in the circumstances. FGW customer service number called the station office as they stood their ground that they wouldn't waive the admin fee. They continued to refuse despite the customer service team requesting they do so.
The call centre requested I send the tickets and medical documents to them and advised me I would have a refund within 14 days. I posted this to them on the 6th June.
I have today received a snobbish letter back saying they are only waiving the admin fee because of the inconvenience caused. The letter goes on to say that I shouldn't have been told the fee could be waived, as it is down to the discretion of the ticket office clerk at the point of refund.
I had a conversation with 2 members of their Twitter team, and 2 different staff members in their call centre. This has highlighted to me a fundamental process failing, where the customer service team are providing information which is completely incorrect according to their ticket office and letter based team. For the company I work for if a member of staff advised a customer something we honour it, especially where the customer has something from Twitter team, and the call centre calling the front line instructing to waive the admin fee. We would never argue it with the customer. Its for the sake of £10, not like its a big sum to FGW.
My other complaint is by the time the cheque clears we are going to have been 5 weeks since the refund was requested. Completely unacceptable in this day and age especially where the NRCoC states I should have been provided a refund by the ticket office.
I was prepared to write off the full tickets in all honesty, but once the ticket office starts arguing with me, the Twitter feed and the call centre I decide to take it on until the admin fee was waived. Arguing with the call centre was the personal highlight to me which showed customers didn't come first. The station staff kept blaming it on his area manager.
It shows to me a company not working as one team and not having a clear set out mandate or process.
I sent FGW a print out of the tweets, dates and times of my calls to their call centre, which are allegedly recorded, along with the tickets.