• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Drivers : Pros n cons Reading or Oxford depot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downtheline

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2012
Messages
43
I'm a potential trainee driver - I was asked today at interview for preference Reading or Oxford depot.

I'm fairly equi-distant to both by car, but RDG being easiest by train as my nearest station is NBY.

I'd be interested in thoughts on working at either, routes, traction, opportunities in longer term, best place for a new driver etc.

I said RDG, but could potentially change it.

Thoughts welcome, any inter-depot humorous jibes welcome too !

thanks

Downtheline
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

welshjpc

Member
Joined
31 May 2013
Messages
89
Location
BBK
I've applied for Oxford so keep with Reading, that means one less competitor for a place! :lol:
 

Northerner

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2013
Messages
43
Oxford , without a doubt, you may get the greenfords ! But you won't get the marlow's or Windsor's
You'll also get to drive to Banbury which is lovely!!
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
Oxford , without a doubt, you may get the greenfords ! But you won't get the marlow's or Windsor's
You'll also get to drive to Banbury which is lovely!!

Oi! Don't knock the Marlows! They're lovely! For us Guards anyway! Windsors are maddening though. Doing 8 round trips in one go. Ugh!

Reading drivers get:

Bedwyns, Basingstokes, Marlows, Henleys, Windsors, Padd (stoppers and fasts), Oxford (stoppers and fasts). Top link gets Banbury still (I think) and Links 3 and 4 get Gatwicks and Redhills. Though you'd be many years away from getting in there most likely.
 

KT530

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
186
Reading have earlier earlies and later lates than Oxford and approx 2 weeks of nights per year

At Oxford you'll also learn the 180s, which Reading don't sign (Reading 165/6 & 150s)

Good luck
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Reading will probably see most of its drivers PTR&R over to Crossrail (they will go with the work just like everyone gets PTR&Red now at franchise change-over time) so I would go for Oxford.

The 'T' stands for transfer so if the work gets transferred so will the drivers.
 

Downtheline

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2012
Messages
43
Thankyou all, very useful. Those who sent me direct messages, much appreciated will respond a bit later.

Any more thoughts welcome and I'm sure other candidates find it useful too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top