• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW at Paddington still getting evening Off Peak validity spectacularly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,815
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Now you've lost me. We were talking about fuel tariffs.

Sorry, that was me being thick there, because the simplification in the power industry didn't simply remove tariffs. It required suppliers to have only a limited set of tariffs, and those will have been set (and are re-set all the time, both up and down) at a commercially competitive level.

The *rail* fare simplification did just remove a few odd tariffs and align the others, OTOH, hence my confusion.

Neil
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I've had an initial response from FGW that came as a result of a post on another forum.

That post was on a board not publicly viewable but the gist of it was forwarded to a senior Customer Relations officer at FGW by another FGW employee that had a sufficient post count to read my tale of woe. Initially I was a little miffed that it was posts on forums that were being responded to and not the complaint submitted through official channels, but knowing the person who forwarded the details I understand they were doing so in my best interests.

Consequently I missed the email from the senior CR officer as I was only looking out for responses to my complaint submitted through the official channel. I only became aware of this email from someone senior after a 'normal' from Customer Relations emailed me to tell me someone senior had taken my complaint on board and had contacted me. No matter. It got the ball rolling quicker, even if 6 days had passed since the senior bod contacted me and her email was missed by me.

There's now a dialogue, but I'm not happy with the initial response. A refund of the fare from Didcot to Tonbridge has been offered. I could just accept that and move on but there are issues I want to see addressed with evidence to prove they are being actioned. The first response only gives me the impression that Customer Relations are paying me off and nothing will change.

So, the dialogue continues.
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,470
Good work. Keep at it. You have my full support.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
It removed a few obscure fares e.g. the Weekender. But the Advance fare quotas may have been adjusted to deal with that. I expect it was revenue neutral.
At the risk of going off-topic, how do you mean?

Southeastern still offer the Weekender ticket, and it has recently been extended to include the use of Highspeed services as well as offering a Railcard discount.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,883
The first response only gives me the impression that Customer Relations are paying me off and nothing will change.

I believe the rail network is still regarded as a national system. So for as long as it offers tickets from A to B where the only peak restriction is in the morning, then you expect staff on the trains and at the major stations between A and B to be aware of this. If individual TOCs want the power to set local restrictions, a withdrawal of tickets involving more than one company would be necessary.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,350
Location
Bolton
I believe the rail network is still regarded as a national system. So for as long as it offers tickets from A to B where the only peak restriction is in the morning, then you expect staff on the trains and at the major stations between A and B to be aware of this. If individual TOCs want the power to set local restrictions, a withdrawal of tickets involving more than one company would be necessary.
... Which is exactly what Arriva want to do!
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I await a meeting with Paddington's FGW Station Manager. He offered one by email, but I've not yet heard back after I replied with suitable dates. That was 10 days ago.

My MP is involved and her office have written to FGW. Awaiting response.

I've drafted a letter to London TravelWatch. That waits while ongoing correspondence is live and until I meet the Station Manager. Should that meeting not be agreed by next week then I'll go to London TravelWatch.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
Who in their right mind would ask the Paddington gateline for help with ticket validity?! This might be the funniest thing I've seen in a while, and I can't help but wonder who's running it
 

Moonshark

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2014
Messages
22
Get a letter/email off to FGW giving all the details and see what bull****e they come up with and then please take it as far as you can, they are fully aware of the restrictions on tickets starting elsewhere on the Network (they have been told enough times) and somebody needs to take this lot on!

You also need to put in about the delay to your journey (and ask how you go on about getting the compensation for the delay) and whether FGW are going to start complying with all ticket restrictions (which are readily available to all relevant staff and if not, why not) or just going carry on complying with the ones that suit them!

Good luck with it all.

I don't see what there is to complain about. The staff were just doing their jobs, protecting revenue. It's not as though he was denied travel. He made the journey he paid for. He even received numerous apologies for the delays.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I don't see what there is to complain about. The staff were just doing their jobs, protecting revenue. It's not as though he was denied travel. He made the journey he paid for. He even received numerous apologies for the delays.

Are you having a laugh Moonshark? I was denied travel for TWO HOURS. Since when did protecting revenue include denying travel to those with valid tickets? I've been refunded for the delay and received apologies, yes, but there are outstanding matters related to the incident. These are still being investigated.
 
Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I don't see what there is to complain about. The staff were just doing their jobs, protecting revenue. It's not as though he was denied travel. He made the journey he paid for. He even received numerous apologies for the delays.

As an employee of the railway, I think this is an instance of "must do better." An apology alone is worthless if the company doesn't also take effective action to address the cause of the problem. If a simple ticket restriction can defeat an array of gateline staff, guards, ticket office staff and managers, there is a problem that needs looking at. It's also unacceptable to treat a paying customer in that manner.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the jaded, customer loathing mentality that some others purporting to work for the railway seem to be afflicted with.
 
Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Sorry, I don't subscribe to the jaded, customer loathing mentality that some others purporting to work for the railway seem to be afflicted with.

You should see some of the personal messages and emails from rail staff I've received over this incident. Just one in support. Others ranging from misguided support of colleagues, through criticism of my actions, to personal abuse and threats that I'm a marked man who will be singled out for special attention if I cross paths with them.

One, who made abusive remarks, was stupid enough to be traceable through his email address. That's part of the ongoing dialogue with FGW and others.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
You should see some of the personal messages and emails from rail staff I've received over this incident. Just one in support. Others ranging from misguided support of colleagues, through criticism of my actions, to personal abuse and threats that I'm a marked man who will be singled out for special attention if I cross paths with them.

One, who made abusive remarks, was stupid enough to be traceable through his email address. That's part of the ongoing dialogue with FGW and others.
That's bordering on illegal; police involvement territory; in my eyes.
Who says an actual gateline didn't open a Twitter account?!
Very good point - technology is always evolving. I actually heard a rumour the Pad gates were having an affair with the Oyster machines at Euston Square :-x
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
I don't see what there is to complain about. The staff were just doing their jobs, protecting revenue. It's not as though he was denied travel. He made the journey he paid for. He even received numerous apologies for the delays.

It appears to me that the staff weren't doing their job correctly.

Is it reasonable for staff to know all off-peak restrictions? No it isn't.

Should staff be able to look up a restriction in the event of a query of dispute? Yes they should.

Did they do this in this case? No they dug their heels in and claimed the ticket wasn't valid when it was.

That's not doing their job or protecting revenue. It's brand damaging for the railway.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
You should see some of the personal messages and emails from rail staff I've received over this incident. Just one in support. Others ranging from misguided support of colleagues, through criticism of my actions, to personal abuse and threats that I'm a marked man who will be singled out for special attention if I cross paths with them.

One, who made abusive remarks, was stupid enough to be traceable through his email address. That's part of the ongoing dialogue with FGW and others.

Perhaps this ought to be reported to the relevant entities. I can't say I've ever had any personal correspondence of this nature after publishing my own stories.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
Perhaps this ought to be reported to the relevant entities. I can't say I've ever had any personal correspondence of this nature after publishing my own stories.

I got the impression from bnm's post that he has indeed reported it, and that it is being investigated/followed up.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,448
I don't see what there is to complain about. The staff were just doing their jobs, protecting revenue. It's not as though he was denied travel. He made the journey he paid for. He even received numerous apologies for the delays.

I may be in danger of breaking fora rules but what the heck...

Just about the only person l can see making such a post is one of the ill-trained, inept incompetents who were involved in the incident. My view is those individuals should be given full retraining and, if involved in any similar incidents in future, their services dispensed with.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
It is regrettably human nature to dig your heels in when you're sure that you are right, even when wrong. Very much human error.

I've worked on a gate line with the benefit of a PC - it made all this stuff much easier.

I still don't understand the railway way of attempting to defend the indefensible in some cases though. It's not just in cases like this (it is not possible to argue that it's reasonable for someone to be denied access to a train because a company servant/official/Bert doesn't understand it's own rules). You see the same with other more major transgressions as well and have to think why. I've heard colleagues denouncing someone for shopping an intoxicated colleague before - why on earth would you ever turn a blind eye to a drunk/stoned safety critical person :oops:
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I see that mention here of the personal correspondence I received from those not directly involved in my 'incident' took the topic off on a bit of a tangent.

Moderators have tidied up the thread and I'll not be making further comment on the 'after the event' stuff.

The incident itself is still under discussion between myself, FGW and third parties. I'll update as and when.
 

jkdd77

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
566
It appears to me that the staff weren't doing their job correctly.

Is it reasonable for staff to know all off-peak restrictions? No it isn't.

Should staff be able to look up a restriction in the event of a query of dispute? Yes they should.

Did they do this in this case? No they dug their heels in and claimed the ticket wasn't valid when it was.

That's not doing their job or protecting revenue. It's brand damaging for the railway.

I agree, and would add that, if staff are unsure as to validity, whether because they cannot check the validity code or do not wish to check it, the correct course of action must surely be to give the passenger the 'benefit of the doubt' rather than to refuse travel.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I agree, and would add that, if staff are unsure as to validity, whether because they cannot check the validity code or do not wish to check it, the correct course of action must surely be to give the passenger the 'benefit of the doubt' rather than to refuse travel.

I agree. However, as I see it, there are a few staff that are absolutely convinced that they 'know' the validity, and there's no possibility that they are wrong, so no point in checking it, even if they can.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,950
Location
UK
Yes, and some get increasingly angry and unpredictable if you press them to 'just look anyway'.
 

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
Yes, and some get increasingly angry and unpredictable if you press them to 'just look anyway'.

I have to say that this sums up what angers me so much about this kind of incident. If you're so sure you're right then surely looking it up will do nothing other than confirm this. If you refuse, and in doing so adopt an attitude that somehow blames the passenger for creating a conflict, then your gob-smacking arrogance demonstrates that you do not have the personal qualities to do the job.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I have to say that this sums up what angers me so much about this kind of incident. If you're so sure you're right then surely looking it up will do nothing other than confirm this. If you refuse, and in doing so adopt an attitude that somehow blames the passenger for creating a conflict, then your gob-smacking arrogance demonstrates that you do not have the personal qualities to do the job.

I completely agree with what you say.

I'll admit that I've experienced one or two embarrassing episodes where I've been sure I was right and I've looked something up in order to prove it to someone else, only to find out I've got it wrong.

Mostly it's happened internally with colleagues, but there was one instance where it was a customer of the organisation. Thankfully, I hadn't been as insistent with them as I might have been with one of my work mates. I learnt a lesson there and then that I would always choose my words very carefully, and double check my facts.

We can all be mistaken, and we all need to recognise that we can sometimes get it wrong, including gateline staff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top