Me too -- my favourite loco class altogether. At home from the north of Germanby right through to Vienna West. I particularly enjoyed tghe few years of the 1990s when they were very much in evidence on the former DR lines -- there was something very fitting about seeing a 103 on the Stadtbahn.Germany class 103. I have a soft spot for many German loco types but once spent an entire long weekend just trying to do 103s just before they finished in normal service and, even now, will often go out of the way do one of the diagrams even though the remaining locos have long been cleared for 1,000 miles each.
![]()
As someone who spent a fair chunk of his formative years in Germany, the BR 103 is right up there - it brings back many happy hours spent as a 6 year old standing next to them at Frankfurt Hbf as they came and went along with the obligatory banana chips in hand (I seemed to be obsessed with them too!).
In terms of other German locos, certainly 218s for the hydraulic soundtrack and also the Einheitsloks for the distinctive sounds on notching up. No-one has mentioned the E94/194 "deutsches Krokodil" yet which was a distinctive design and ended their days on banking duties. They were also the OBB 1020s as seen here
![]()
Talking Austria, I always liked the 1044s as well, in particular the later built.2 series with the large cooling grills from new and altered damping, etc. Small but powerful universal locos that were the mainstay of the network with over 200 built, now largely demoted by the Taurus variants. They also had the nickname hoover for the noise they made by virtue of the cooling fans.
![]()
There's been some good suggestions here, good to see!
By the way, has anyone here been to the Berlin area or Poland to see and travel on trains?
If your looking for eastern European atmosphere, that is sadly gone when it comes to Berlin but the Stadtbahn is still an interesting line
RhB Ge 4/4 II 612 'Thusis' - Klosters Platz by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr
143337-4 - Halle-Trotha by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr
2136 & 08186 - Brussel-Zuid/Bruxelles-Midi by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr![]()
Class 40110 France
Yes, there's still a reasonable amount of 143s left (south-west Germany especially), but in recent years their numbers have decreased dramatically - especially in the former DR area since the introduction of the abysmal 442s!
143 used to dominante the S-Bahn system in North Rhine Westfalia. Now only a few peak trains around Düsseldorf are 143 operated.
There's been some good suggestions here, good to see!
By the way, has anyone here been to the Berlin area or Poland to see and travel on trains?
Sorry, missed this.
Berlin has a varied and interesting public transport system but TBH I don't think the main line stuff is the best bit (apart from the Stadtbahn route across the city), though there's plenty of it.
Poland I have little experience of, but my memories are dominated by decrepit infrastructure and the rigid division between the IC operator and Regio - on the rolling stock front I believe things are steadily improving though and the regions are running services to their own spec.
I like any European loco given how cart obsessed the UK has become.
![]()
This Amtrak locomotive has its roots in Sweden.
![]()
Class 40110 France
I am also a big fan of Re420s. They can produce a great noise on a good mainline run, especially with EW I coaches.My favourite locos are probably the Ge 4/4 IIs on the RhB:
RhB Ge 4/4 II 612 'Thusis' - Klosters Platz by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr
As well as their big sisters, the Re 4/4 IIs on SBB (although I know that mechanically speaking they're quite different).
Also a massive fan of the sadly diminishing BR143s in Germany:
143337-4 - Halle-Trotha by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr
Lastly, the HLE 21s and 27s in Belgium:
2136 & 08186 - Brussel-Zuid/Bruxelles-Midi by Max's Rail Photos II, on Flickr
May I ask why the loco is hauling an Z6400 EMU? Was it failed?
![]()
Class 40110 France