• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite European locomotives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2011
Messages
1,314
Location
Valongo - Portugal
Wait there a second please!

1327767269.jpg


What's up with the overhead line? Isn't that sort used in slow speed yards? Why is it on the mainline!? O_O
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Trolley wire like this, on 25kv, with constant tension equipment (weights), is used by SNCF for lines with speeds up to 120 km/h. Higher speeds need à real catenary.
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Germany class 103. I have a soft spot for many German loco types but once spent an entire long weekend just trying to do 103s just before they finished in normal service and, even now, will often go out of the way do one of the diagrams even though the remaining locos have long been cleared for 1,000 miles each.


I noticed that I hadn't replied to this. I haven't seen any in person but I really like the look of this class, especially in maroon and cream. I occasionally watch footage of them and a handful are still in service with Fernverkehr, as well as one in use with railadventure.
 

EAD

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2014
Messages
238
I noticed that I hadn't replied to this. I haven't seen any in person but I really like the look of this class, especially in maroon and cream. I occasionally watch footage of them and a handful are still in service with Fernverkehr, as well as one in use with railadventure.

That's a shame - as someone who grew up with them as the standard DB IC/EC engine they were great. Even just before the 101s arrived and replaced them (no, not the UK 101 DMUs) they were working hard. I also liked the various DB post-war standard engines or Einheitslokomotiven - favourite being the 112 "iron front" (Bügelfalte) in TEE look.

http://die-buegelfalte-110.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/112-488-Stuttgart-Hbf-21081984-GarkeNr_4404-Kopie.jpg
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
That's a shame - as someone who grew up with them as the standard DB IC/EC engine they were great. Even just before the 101s arrived and replaced them (no, not the UK 101 DMUs) they were working hard. I also liked the various DB post-war standard engines or Einheitslokomotiven - favourite being the 112 "iron front" (Bügelfalte) in TEE look.

http://die-buegelfalte-110.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/112-488-Stuttgart-Hbf-21081984-GarkeNr_4404-Kopie.jpg

Don't worry, I'm quite familiar with the Adtranz 101s!

Coincidentally, another one was turned out in an advertising livery just the other day.

Regarding the 101s, do you know why they were delivered in Orientrot and then standard DB Verkehrsrot rather than the white and red Fernverkehr livery?
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
Don't worry, I'm quite familiar with the Adtranz 101s!

Coincidentally, another one was turned out in an advertising livery just the other day.

Regarding the 101s, do you know why they were delivered in Orientrot and then standard DB Verkehrsrot rather than the white and red Fernverkehr livery?

Because when they were delivered, thats the colours that locos were painted in. If it had been built before 87 it would have been in either blue/cream or TEE. When DB switched to traffic red, they started to arrive in that colour.

111 were delivered in Blue Cream, the pre series 120 in TEE and the main batch in Orient rot.
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Because when they were delivered, that's the colours that locos were painted in.

But that doesn't really answer my question. Did DB change their minds after the 101s were delivered regarding liveries, hence why the Fernverkehr 146s that have recently come into services are painted in this livery:

bomb_35043_53.jpg


http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000006&file=bomb_35043_53&action=image


And not the standard Verkehrsrot.
adtranz_33122_70.jpg

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000001&lang=1&file=adtranz_33122_70&action=image


I like the 101s in red but they are a tad dumpy and I wonder if they'd look better in Intercity/ Fernverkehr livery. It's not as if the livery didn't exist when the locomotives were introduced back in the 1990s. They weren't really intended as mixed traffic locos although they have appeared on the odd freight.
 
Last edited:

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
I noticed that I hadn't replied to this. I haven't seen any in person but I really like the look of this class, especially in maroon and cream. I occasionally watch footage of them and a handful are still in service with Fernverkehr, as well as one in use with railadventure.
Maroon and cream is the only decent livery for these IMO, I didn't much like the Orient Red livery on anything, let alone 103s, especially when it faded and went pink. 103.233 was the only one that made it into Verkehrsrot livery which was an improvement on the earlier red and whoever designed that Railadventure livery should not be let near a paintbrush again!
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Maroon and cream is the only decent livery for these IMO, I didn't much like the Orient Red livery on anything, let alone 103s, especially when it faded and went pink. 103.233 was the only one that made it into Verkehrsrot livery which was an improvement on the earlier red and whoever designed that Railadventure livery should not be let near a paintbrush again!

Not sure I agree with you about Railadventure, it's quite a cool and modern looking livery!


I agree with the rest of what you're saying. Orient red and the old red used by Deutsche Bundesbahn was pants while Verkehrsrot seems to suit every class it has been applied to, even the 103s.
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London

jayiscupid

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2015
Messages
138
Location
Singapore
But that doesn't really answer my question. Did DB change their minds after the 101s were delivered regarding liveries, hence why the Fernverkehr 146s that have recently come into services are painted in this livery:

bomb_35043_53.jpg


http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000006&file=bomb_35043_53&action=image


And not the standard Verkehrsrot.
adtranz_33122_70.jpg

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000001&lang=1&file=adtranz_33122_70&action=image


I like the 101s in red but they are a tad dumpy and I wonder if they'd look better in Intercity/ Fernverkehr livery. It's not as if the livery didn't exist when the locomotives were introduced back in the 1990s. They weren't really intended as mixed traffic locos although they have appeared on the odd freight.

Fleischmann released a model in IC livery - though not accurate it did look good!
http://www.mobadaten.info/MoBaDatenInfo/images/thumb/7/7b/FLM_824356.jpg/400px-FLM_824356.jpg
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Remember that in Germany now carriages and locomotive are considered one. So also with Metronom train.

bomb_34711_69.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top