....BUt there's no need for comments such as ' are you sure you are safe to be near the railway?', we can have a sensible debate and agree to disagree on matters without that!
I really don't see why it was so bad, I mean, if you can't chose an answer for a question, when in fact there is only one possible answer, then I do have to wonder about the intelligence level of the individual. However, I shall try to refrain from using such strong language in future if that will make everyone happy.
So would you agree that a routeing point is appropriate...
NRG said:
only if that fare is the same or lower than the fare for the throughout journey from the origin station to the destination station
?
No. The fares check rule is for when you are unsure of the appropriate routeing point. In the case of Farringdon, there is only one routeing point so it is certain which one is appropriate. If you were going from Leagrave to Leicester the appropriate route point should be obvious (Bedford), but if you were unsure (because there is more than one associated routeing point) you could use the fares check rule.
As I mentioned, I believe the Routeing Guide assumes there is always one appropriate routeing point (that may well have been true in 1996, though I don't happen to have a copy of NFM64 to test the theory).
Your argument that if there's only one RP then it must obviously be "appropriate" and that anyone that thinks otherwise must need their head examining ignores the fact that:....
I didn't say if 'anyone thinks otherwise', I said if 'anyone is unsure which of the one associated routeing point to use' they need their head examining.
- The "How to Use the National Routeing Guide" document has already explained that through trains and the shortest route are permitted routes, and thus there is not necessarily a need for a mapped route;
If you want to follow that line of thought, there is never a 'need' for a mapped route as there is always the shortest route and direct trains.
- a reasonable person could read the second half of the paragraph which I have quoted above and become unsure whether the sole RP is appropriate;
If someone is not bothering to read the document properly that is their problem.
- nowhere is it mentioned that there is always an appropriate routeing point;
I disagree.
NRG said:
....If you are unsure whether a particular routeing point for the origin station is
the correct one....
Furthermore, if it were intended that there were some/many journeys with no appropriate routeing points, instructions would have been provided to cover that eventuality. It is reasonable to therefore presume that such an eventuality was not considered as it was expected that every station would have one appropriate routeing point.
It is also reasonable to presume that if it was intended that all associated routeing points be tested by the fares check rule, then the instructions would say so.
- a reasonable person may want a bit more detail and so read "The National Routeing Guide in Detail":
Maybe, but, as we all must know by now, that section is littered with inaccuracies, contradictions and new rules mentioned nowhere else in the entire NRG.