Last night I was trying to use the Heathrow to Woking rail air coach. However there was major disruption (I was told the M25 was closed), though I only found this out after buying my ticket (the coach was listed as on time when I bought my ticket), but the coach was cancelled.
So I had to join the queue to get a refund. However the person being served in front of me had a rail ticket from "Heathrow (Bus)" to Honiton, which was routed via this RailAir coach to Woking. It was an AP ticket valid only on a specific train, which he had now missed becuase the coach did not run.
He was told that as the ticket was only valid on that specific train and the delays were due to the closure of the M25 which was outside of their control, no refund was possible and that he couldn't use it on a later train (not sure if there even was one). He did protest that this didn't seem fair (I agree) but the member of staff insisted it was correct. He was told the "best" option was to buy a new ticket from National Expres on their own latercoach to Exeter (and presumably from there to Honiton by taxi).
I was tempted to intervene and say that since he was travelling on a through rail ticket and the disruption was not his fault (he had arrived in time for the booked coach), he should be taken to Honiton (or put up in a hotel until the next day) under the National Conditions of Carriage. However I wasn't sure if this would apply if part of the journey was by coach so I didn't say anything, not wanting to give out incorrect information or start an argument with the same member of staff I was about to ask for a refund from!
Were the staff right, of was I right? The situation here is a little confused, because this isn't a "Plus Bus" ticket as such it's a ticket from "Heathrow Bus" which I think is a special destination which is only valid on the Rail Air coaches so not sure if that is classified as a rail service and subject to the National conditions of cariage or not?
Having said that for some reason the "RailAir" name has long since been dropped on the Woking to Heathrow route (it's just branded National Express now), though the Heathrow to Reading one is still branded RailAir.
So I had to join the queue to get a refund. However the person being served in front of me had a rail ticket from "Heathrow (Bus)" to Honiton, which was routed via this RailAir coach to Woking. It was an AP ticket valid only on a specific train, which he had now missed becuase the coach did not run.
He was told that as the ticket was only valid on that specific train and the delays were due to the closure of the M25 which was outside of their control, no refund was possible and that he couldn't use it on a later train (not sure if there even was one). He did protest that this didn't seem fair (I agree) but the member of staff insisted it was correct. He was told the "best" option was to buy a new ticket from National Expres on their own latercoach to Exeter (and presumably from there to Honiton by taxi).
I was tempted to intervene and say that since he was travelling on a through rail ticket and the disruption was not his fault (he had arrived in time for the booked coach), he should be taken to Honiton (or put up in a hotel until the next day) under the National Conditions of Carriage. However I wasn't sure if this would apply if part of the journey was by coach so I didn't say anything, not wanting to give out incorrect information or start an argument with the same member of staff I was about to ask for a refund from!
Were the staff right, of was I right? The situation here is a little confused, because this isn't a "Plus Bus" ticket as such it's a ticket from "Heathrow Bus" which I think is a special destination which is only valid on the Rail Air coaches so not sure if that is classified as a rail service and subject to the National conditions of cariage or not?
Having said that for some reason the "RailAir" name has long since been dropped on the Woking to Heathrow route (it's just branded National Express now), though the Heathrow to Reading one is still branded RailAir.