I can only respond to the data which you have presented. You said the station concerned was Cholsey , if it was another station then why try to confuse matters? It makes any sort of sensible discussion impossible. I can't comment on what is announced if the train is going elsewhere.
Did you not read the following which I wrote? "Here's a scenario in which someone might be confused. In fact, I know this situation has happened, but not to precisely these stations in my friend's case. Foreign friends are visiting, fly to a London airport and get to Paddington...."
So if you are going to be responding to the data, maybe you should read more carefully?
(If you know anything about how GWR services have changed in the last 2 years or so, you should be able to guess what the relevant station is.)
You also wrote, in post 62 that "fly to a London airport and get to Paddington". Using a normal understanding of English and with the absence of any other remark, it implies that they went directIy from the airport to Paddington - if it was Paddington. If they had dropped their bags en route between the airport and station where they started their journey then taking a peak-hour stopper from there all the way to Cholsey - or whereever the actual station was - makes more sense. It is difficult to make any sort of comment if part of the story is missing.
Again, either I'm being unclear or you don't read carefully. They did come directly from the airport to Paddington. What they didn't do was come direct from the USA. There were other countries in between.
All you need to know about the story is that because of the use of false destinations, my friends were confused because they were getting on a train that was announced for one destination, but then the robot voice announces a welcome for a train at a different destination.
Your point about the multi-stop flight is irrelevant. It is in fact a false comparison because access to flights is controlled at the gates and the boarding card checked before one is allowed on board - unlike most train travel - so there is no need to announce a 'false destination' and it is not done. No cabin announcements that I have heard simply say this flight is to the final destination and then stop. All the stops are listed - at least in the flights I used in the western USA.
I agree the airport comparison is a bit misleading. But, of course, it was you who brought airports into this, in post #73: "If the people can manage airports they can certainly manage trains."
My point in response was that (as you have noted) airports have a variety of different measures (like boarding pass checks etc) that make things less confusing. If airports operated in the same way as UK trains and used false destinations, there would equally be a potential for confusion.
As you note, all stops on a flight are listed. But the point is that this does NOT happen with UK train false destinations, at least before you board the train/flight itself.
Apropos of which - I have never heard the expression 'false destination' before.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you should be more humble given your admitted lack of knowledge? If you enter the following search in google
site:railforums.co.uk "false destination"
you will see that it is a reasonably common phrase.
And funnily enough here
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stati...Staff_Web_Service_User_Guide_Issue_1a_(2).pdf is an internal railway software guide that explains the software code used on displays. From 2012. Here is a quote from page 9:
falseDest A False Destination that should be displayed for this location.
fdTiploc The Tiploc code of a False Destination.
I'm not getting much out of this conversation anymore, since you seem so keen to not read what I write carefully, make big assumptions, and then act like you have some kind of "gotcha!", so this will be my last response to you.