• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extra train for Sunderland - Newcastle derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Northern sticking another train on for tomorrow to ferry supporters to the Stadium of ****e. Interestingly enough it is booked to stop at St Peter's, a Metro station. Never heard of any Heavy rail service stopping at a Metro station before (apart from ex-heavy rail stations such as East Boldon, or Sunderland).

Link is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12198858
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Didn't GC do it around 18 months ago to Stadium of Light station for the football? Or was it just planned and never made it to reality?
 

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2010
Messages
1,217
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Northern sticking another train on for tomorrow to ferry supporters to the Stadium of ****e. Interestingly enough it is booked to stop at St Peter's, a Metro station. Never heard of any Heavy rail service stopping at a Metro station before (apart from ex-heavy rail stations such as East Boldon, or Sunderland).

Link is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12198858

Soif Sunderland plays at The Stadium of ****e, do you Geordies play at St. James ****hole ;)
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Didn't GC do it around 18 months ago to Stadium of Light station for the football? Or was it just planned and never made it to reality?

I wouldn't have thought that SoL station would be long enough for any GC stock.

IanPooleTrains said:
Soif Sunderland plays at The Stadium of ****e, do you Geordies play at St. James ****hole

I do hope you're not a closet mackem! Stadium of Light is a stupid name, knicked off Benfica and built on what should still be an operating colliery.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I do hope you're not a closet mackem! Stadium of Light is a stupid name, knicked off Benfica and built on what should still be an operating colliery.

Thank how Cardiff fans feel, their old Ninian Park was built on an old rubbish tip!

I would ahve thought that the METRO (I got that right this time!) would have been enough to cope with demand, I think that Northern ran Blackburn-Wigan direct trains when they played about three years ago.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Northern sticking another train on for tomorrow to ferry supporters to the Stadium of ****e. Interestingly enough it is booked to stop at St Peter's, a Metro station. Never heard of any Heavy rail service stopping at a Metro station before (apart from ex-heavy rail stations such as East Boldon, or Sunderland).

Link is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12198858

Anyone would think you were a Toon fan :lol:

I have to say that I never understood the idea of abandoning local stations like this. Stretches such as the District/c2c back home could interwork during engineering works. They could partially rebuild the closed ones to still have platform faces, provide a "token" service along the lines of stopping on Sundays only (i.e. parliamentary service), and then c2c could run additional trains to call at the local stops during District closures. (And TfL would have to pay for it.) I don't suppose it would ever happen though.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
I wouldn't have thought that SoL station would be long enough for any GC stock.

Neither was Hartlepool, Eaglescliffe or Thirsk!

It was talked about, on here as well. I'll have to scour the t'internet.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
It was only for one day, to start one service at SOL instead of Sunderland. I believe at the time it was Sunderland v Arsenal with the idea to capture the imagination of more travelling supporters.

Not sure whether it ever did happen, probably not, but it was talked about.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15690&highlight=Arsenal&page=102 Post 1524 onwards.

Was reported as seen in the GC magazine, I knew I had read it somewhere.
 
Last edited:

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Northern sticking another train on for tomorrow to ferry supporters to the Stadium of ****e. Interestingly enough it is booked to stop at St Peter's, a Metro station. Never heard of any Heavy rail service stopping at a Metro station before (apart from ex-heavy rail stations such as East Boldon, or Sunderland).

Link is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12198858

To jog your memory, St. Peters was the terminus for heavy rail services from Newcastle and the Tyne Valley for a while, maybe as much as a couple of months, in 2001 whilst electrification work and resignalling for the Metro was taking place in Sunderland station.

Though I've never heard of heavy rail services calling at Metro stations once the Metro was up and running.

Grand Central have been known to drop off or pick up staff at Stadium of Light station before (at least, that's what it looked like was going on), and the HSTs are definitely longer than the platforms, as you would imagine: Conveniently, if you look at Google maps, on the satellite view there is a GC HST in Stadium of Light station!

Oh, and one final thing: Haway the lads! Red and white army! :D The black and white bar-stewards didn't get one over on us this time ;)
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I refer to the 5-1 victory earlier in the season!

That is interesting, I didn't know that they used St. Peters during the electrification.

Also, I wonder what kind of ticketing arrangement was needed for the train today - Metro tickets are valid on Northern services but I don't think there is an agreement for Northern tickets to be valid on the Metro (unless it is a NCZ or APN ticket).
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Also, I wonder what kind of ticketing arrangement was needed for the train today - Metro tickets are valid on Northern services but I don't think there is an agreement for Northern tickets to be valid on the Metro (unless it is a NCZ or APN ticket).

Metro & National Rail tickets valid between Newcastle and Sunderland both have dual availability according to the Nexus website.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Metro & National Rail tickets valid between Newcastle and Sunderland both have dual availability according to the Nexus website.

That is right, but I don't think they are valid for stations only served by the Metro. You used to be able to get tickets to Brockley Whins, East Boldon and Seaburn after the extension opened from ticket offices but this IIRC has been withdrawn.

If it was the case I and anyone with a railcard could save upto 1/3 on a single to any station on the extension by using a Northern Rail ticket compared to a Metro ticket.
 
Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
Stadium of Light is a stupid name

?

It refers to one of the manufacturing histories that the city has - I'd much rather have grounds named after some local heritage than advertising some company. For example, Chesterfield now play at the B2Net stadium. WTF?

Give me a team playing at a ground named after something local and relevant to the fans, rather than "Welcome To The SnappySnaps Stadium"...
 

wensley

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
2,045
Location
On a train...somewhere!
Nice last minute goal Sunderland ;) Shame it wasn't a win!!

...regarding the GC stopping service it was planned but AFAIK didn't go ahead. At one time there was talk of making it a regular thing; extending services to SoL on football days.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
It refers to one of the manufacturing histories that the city has - I'd much rather have grounds named after some local heritage than advertising some company. For example, Chesterfield now play at the B2Net stadium. WTF?

No, it refers to the fact that it was built on a colliery, and that is why a Davy lamp is outside the ground. The main industries in Sunderland being coal mining, ship building and glass making.

However it lends itself nicely to mockery by us Geordies so that is why it is a stupid name.
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,000
Location
Cambridge
No, it refers to the fact that it was built on a colliery, and that is why a Davy lamp is outside the ground. The main industries in Sunderland being coal mining, ship building and glass making.

However it lends itself nicely to mockery by us Geordies so that is why it is a stupid name.

SportsDirect.com@St James Park being so much better!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
That is right, but I don't think they are valid for stations only served by the Metro. You used to be able to get tickets to Brockley Whins, East Boldon and Seaburn after the extension opened from ticket offices but this IIRC has been withdrawn.

If it was the case I and anyone with a railcard could save upto 1/3 on a single to any station on the extension by using a Northern Rail ticket compared to a Metro ticket.

Ah I see what you mean now - just what were pax from Newcastle using Northern supposed to buy? Presumably just a normal 'Sunderland' ticket?

You raise an intersting point though - if you buy a railcard discounted 'rail' ticket from say Newcastle to Sunderland, and use it on the Metro, what prevents you stopping short at any Metro station? Just the roving Metro ticket inspectors presumably?
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
SportsDirect.com@St James Park being so much better!

No Geordie in the world would call it that though - ever!

swt_passenger said:
Ah I see what you mean now - just what were pax from Newcastle using Northern supposed to buy? Presumably just a normal 'Sunderland' ticket?

You raise an intersting point though - if you buy a railcard discounted 'rail' ticket from say Newcastle to Sunderland, and use it on the Metro, what prevents you stopping short at any Metro station? Just the roving Metro ticket inspectors presumably?

Not entirely sure what happened - I guess either they did just that and bought a Newcastle - Sunderland ticket. AFAIK there are only two Metro destinations that you can buy a normal rail ticket to and that is Newcastle Aiport and Newcastle Central Zone, which is zone 1 on the Metro.

As you say the only way of stopping people using the normal rail ticket and getting off at a Metro station would be the inspectors, but I bet hardly anyone knows about this. Shouldn't happen anymore when Central Metro gets the barriers in the next few months.

I don't actually know what agreement Nexus and Northern have about the line, I'm guessing Nexus pay Northern a percentage of all Metro tickets between Newcastle and Sunderland, and some more for the DaySavers.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
No, it refers to the fact that it was built on a colliery, and that is why a Davy lamp is outside the ground. The main industries in Sunderland being coal mining, ship building and glass making.

However it lends itself nicely to mockery by us Geordies so that is why it is a stupid name.

Precisely - glass making. Hence the name ;)
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
AFAIK there are only two Metro destinations that you can buy a normal rail ticket to and that is Newcastle Aiport and Newcastle Central Zone, which is zone 1 on the Metro.

Out of Durham you can (could?) buy a ticket to 'Tyne and Wear Metro' which is valid to all stations on the Metro. Not entirely relevant here unless you are travelling from one of the stations at which you can do this of course...
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
Actually try and buy a ticket online from any of the stations from Fellgate - Sunderland inclusive to anywhere in the country and its possible, and its the same doing the reverse, obviously the metro machines dont have the ability but online and i presume traditional methods will allow also
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Precisely - glass making. Hence the name ;)

I still don't see the connection - most of the glass was for stuff like Pyrex, not light bulbs. Plus the name was also supposed to bring "hope and prosperity" to a rather dank part of Sunderland as well apparently :)

cuccir said:
Out of Durham you can (could?) buy a ticket to 'Tyne and Wear Metro' which is valid to all stations on the Metro. Not entirely relevant here unless you are travelling from one of the stations at which you can do this of course...

The ticket for Tyne and Wear Metro is a central zone add on, so only valid to Jesmond, Haymarket, Monument, Central, Gateshead, Gateshead Stadium, St James and Manors (think I might have said zone one earlier on, which is incorrect). This is the NCZ ticket. You then can buy a ticket for APT which allows you to go to the Airport. Apparently you can also buy a ticket to any station on the Metro but I've never seen one and never heard of anyone knowing how to buy one. It isn't even publicised on the Nexus website.

Anvil1984 said:
Actually try and buy a ticket online from any of the stations from Fellgate - Sunderland inclusive to anywhere in the country and its possible, and its the same doing the reverse, obviously the metro machines dont have the ability but online and i presume traditional methods will allow also

You used to be able to buy tickets to the former BR stations on the extension to make things easier when the changeover happened. But when the prices went up at the start of the month the ability to buy it the other way around (i.e. for example East Boldon to MetroCentre) on a Metro ticket machine was removed. You also could buy a a ticket from somewhere such as Hartlepool to any station between Sunderland and South Hylton, yet I don't know if you can still do this. Next time I'm up that way I'll have a check, although if I don't know what tickets are available 99% of people travelling to Newcastle or Sunderland will not know unless someone in a ticket office advises them.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
The ticket for Tyne and Wear Metro is a central zone add on, so only valid to Jesmond, Haymarket, Monument, Central, Gateshead, Gateshead Stadium, St James and Manors (think I might have said zone one earlier on, which is incorrect). This is the NCZ ticket. You then can buy a ticket for APT which allows you to go to the Airport. Apparently you can also buy a ticket to any station on the Metro but I've never seen one and never heard of anyone knowing how to buy one. It isn't even publicised on the Nexus website.

I was travelling to the less-well known football at Gateshead yesterday, so took the opportunity to investigate.

Whilst the East Coast journey planner suggests that you can by the NCZ ticket to any zone A station - which is what you say - the ticket machines at Durham state that it is valid only to Monument, Haymarket or St James. I suspect that it's the ticket machine which is wrong but I didn't have a route print out or anything so didn't wan't the possible hassle. I might write to East Coast for clarification on that one

I didn't buy - but have done before and checked that it's still there - the ticket to 'Tyne and Wear Metro' which, as you say, is valid to all Metro stations. It's quite a good deal if you're going beyond the central zone, but costs slightly more than buying a ticket to Newcastle and getting a one zone day ticket.

I agree, it's odd that this isn't publicised, and I don't know whether it is available from all stations
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Ticket machine is wrong then, I've had it confirmed from Nexus. The NCZ ticket is handy as it saves faffing about at Central Metro buying another ticket. However I bet there will be a massive amount of problems when the barriers are installed.

I've noticed that all the Metro stations appear on the EC journey planner, but don't on Advantix. Next time I'm going up I'll try and see if I can buy a ticket to somewhere such as Tynemouth. Might work, might not.
 

Capybara

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
498
Location
SE11
Also, I wonder what kind of ticketing arrangement was needed for the train today - Metro tickets are valid on Northern services but I don't think there is an agreement for Northern tickets to be valid on the Metro (unless it is a NCZ or APN ticket).

I would guess that in all likelihood they wouldn't have been bothered what tickets, if any, people had, the primary concern being getting people away as quickly as possible.

I travel away from Middlesbrough after matches and I can recall no occasion since privatisation where extra rolling stock has been put on to cope, and the 142 which forms the 17:25 to Darlington has, on a number of occasions, departed with passengers still on the platform. Until November 2010 when Millwall were in town when an extra 142 suddenly appeared attached to the 17:55 purely to enable the police to herd the Millwall supporters, like animals, into it. The knock-on for all this was that the 17:55 and subsequent trains left late, at the cost of no little cash to myself who missed the last Grand Central south as a result.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Trouble is that it was only in one direction, before the match. As has been said before, more than likely people just bought a ticket to Sunderland.

As for Middlesbrough, for the past few seasons for Tees-Tyne/Tees-Wear derbies, there have been double 142s put on for a few services, but I agree it isn't enough, but hard to get the extra units in anyway.
 

Capybara

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
498
Location
SE11
As for Middlesbrough, for the past few seasons for Tees-Tyne/Tees-Wear derbies, there have been double 142s put on for a few services, but I agree it isn't enough, but hard to get the extra units in anyway.

Yes, there's a train up towards Sunlun/Newcastle around that time. But they have never, that I have seen, put extra on the 17:25. And I have lost count of the number of times I have explained to others why this is and why a franchisee is really not that interested in doing so.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Same here, never seen them double up the Saltburn or Darlington services for Middlesbrough fans, it is always for the away supporters (as you say to get them away as fast as possible).

Will see some changes for the good if this Tees Metro thing actually gets started.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top