RJ
Established Member
I think that the term loophole is actually a misnomer.
Definition of loophole - an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded
Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loophole
There's no legal obligation to pay a set price for a journey. The Conditions of Travel specifically allow the use of multiple tickets for a journey, gift a choice of routes and starting/stopping short, all of which impact on the price paid. Therefore finding a cheaper arrangement than the through fare to make your chosen journey isn't tantamount to use of a loophole.
It's more creative use of ticketing rules to maximise value from the fare paid. I refer to it as creative ticketing.
Don't be fooled into thinking it's only enthusiasts who are sharp customers. I have several regular customers who know about fares that undercut others. I can spot these anomalous fares a mile off. For example I have one who travels on HS1 and uses a ticket that is way cheaper than the price from London Terminals to Ashford, despite having extensions at both ends. But a ticket inspector would never pick up on it. Last time, I pointed it out to her and advised her under no circumstances to draw attention to that ticket or tell anyone about it! A similar situation exists for certain WCML travel and various other places where there are patterns of buggy pricing. I have many other customers that know of tricks to save on fares and they are not enthusiasts. I learn a lot from them and occasionally humour them about what they're doing if there's time.
The first posts asks about implications of using "loopholes." There can be serious consequences as businesses don't tend to like sharp customers and are seldom equipped to handle them. One of my pastimes is legally extracting value where possible and this extends well beyond the railways, where I've chosen to retire from the creative ticketing game. To give some examples, not many people go to the high street to make money rather than spend it, or go for years legitimately getting 90-100% off supermarket shopping, or get a £1 discount per litre of fuel, or accrue air miles on tax and NI deductions and so on. And that's a good thing as the economy would implode if everyone did that. The consequences of doing things that people simply don't understand (creative ticketing is one example) mean it sometimes isn't worth taking extra value. Being prolific in doing this means you eventually attract attention from senior people, policymakers in organisations. You may even attract unwanted attention from the authorities and totally stump people who don't get what you do, but can't quite fit your behaviour into their recognised models of nefarious activity - the BTP would be one example from the railways, but it gets far graver than that in other areas. It's not all bad however - sometimes surprising rewards and opportunities are offered as a result.
For an easy life, I recommend leaving the "loopholes" alone. But if you choose to live that life, you have to be prepared for those who don't understand that what you are doing is legitimate and have ways of communicating with them effectively.
Definition of loophole - an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded
Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loophole
There's no legal obligation to pay a set price for a journey. The Conditions of Travel specifically allow the use of multiple tickets for a journey, gift a choice of routes and starting/stopping short, all of which impact on the price paid. Therefore finding a cheaper arrangement than the through fare to make your chosen journey isn't tantamount to use of a loophole.
It's more creative use of ticketing rules to maximise value from the fare paid. I refer to it as creative ticketing.
Don't be fooled into thinking it's only enthusiasts who are sharp customers. I have several regular customers who know about fares that undercut others. I can spot these anomalous fares a mile off. For example I have one who travels on HS1 and uses a ticket that is way cheaper than the price from London Terminals to Ashford, despite having extensions at both ends. But a ticket inspector would never pick up on it. Last time, I pointed it out to her and advised her under no circumstances to draw attention to that ticket or tell anyone about it! A similar situation exists for certain WCML travel and various other places where there are patterns of buggy pricing. I have many other customers that know of tricks to save on fares and they are not enthusiasts. I learn a lot from them and occasionally humour them about what they're doing if there's time.
The first posts asks about implications of using "loopholes." There can be serious consequences as businesses don't tend to like sharp customers and are seldom equipped to handle them. One of my pastimes is legally extracting value where possible and this extends well beyond the railways, where I've chosen to retire from the creative ticketing game. To give some examples, not many people go to the high street to make money rather than spend it, or go for years legitimately getting 90-100% off supermarket shopping, or get a £1 discount per litre of fuel, or accrue air miles on tax and NI deductions and so on. And that's a good thing as the economy would implode if everyone did that. The consequences of doing things that people simply don't understand (creative ticketing is one example) mean it sometimes isn't worth taking extra value. Being prolific in doing this means you eventually attract attention from senior people, policymakers in organisations. You may even attract unwanted attention from the authorities and totally stump people who don't get what you do, but can't quite fit your behaviour into their recognised models of nefarious activity - the BTP would be one example from the railways, but it gets far graver than that in other areas. It's not all bad however - sometimes surprising rewards and opportunities are offered as a result.
For an easy life, I recommend leaving the "loopholes" alone. But if you choose to live that life, you have to be prepared for those who don't understand that what you are doing is legitimate and have ways of communicating with them effectively.
Last edited: