backontrack
Established Member
@Altnabreac What about Perth-Inverness infrastructure improvements? And I'd also wonder about a station at Persley. Other than that, nice list.
Would there be any merit in running a regular semi-fast "Dundee regional Metro" service from St.Andrews to Brechin, with stops at Leuchars Junction, St.Fort, Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Carnoustie, Arbroath, Montrose, Dubton and Bridge of Dun?
I imagine St Andrews also has way more traffic in and out of it than Brechin, far more so than being 3x the size suggests. But yeah, relative poor chances of economic development probably kill it.Brechin has come up before, and possibly in this thread. It's tempting because there's a station and (a bit of) track already, but the town, sorry city, has a population of only 7k. To be any real use the service would have to allow an easy commute to Aberdeen as well as Dundee, and that would mean a triangular junction at Kinnaber and a drop in frequency southwards.
Bear in mind that St Andrews reinstatement itself has no economic regeneration argument behind it and for that reason could be a long way off.
@Altnabreac I'm interested to find out why you've included Lossiemouth on your list. I wouldn't have thought that the population of Lossiemouth (c.7000) would have been sufficient to warrant the re-opening of the line. There's very little industry for freight, and the fishing is long gone. While from a purely nostalgic point of view I would love to see it happen, I can't really see much of a case for it. In its favour, most of the track bed is intact - a few buildings on an industrial estate would have to go, as would Burger King. The East Road level crossing would need to be re-instated as well, unless there was a completely new alignment.
Lossie also has a very good bus service - every 20 minutes during the day, and it's integrated with the Elgin town service, so it runs "roon the toon" (and passes the railway station).Lossiemouth* does have the RAF base, which might be why it was on that list. But I think it's far too close to Elgin to justify a rail link at the expense of other more useful projects. I mean, at ~6 miles, Elgin station isn't that far away. Some cities served by a single station are >6 miles end-to-end.
*Sounds like a dog food; (c) Bernard Woolley
Personally I don't think Lossiemouth has a good case at all but it was on a list a few years ago produced by railfuture.
If there was an hourly Elgin - Inverness service any way then extending to Lossiemouth would maybe have a poor / mediocre business case.
My point mainly being it would still be better than Hawick - Carlisle even though it isn't really a very good scheme.
Isn't it a key part of the viability of a high speed Glenfarg route for Aberdeen trains? Otherwise you charge from Halbeath to Bridge of Earn, and then crawl into the Moncrieffe Tunnel, through Perth station and wind over the Tay? I don't think it's any more or less likely than Glenfarg itself, which isn't happening any time soon.Can't say I disagree with anyone in your lists. But Bridge of Earn to St. Madoes? Crikey!
Can't say I disagree with anyone in your lists. But Bridge of Earn to St. Madoes? Crikey!
Isn't it a key part of the viability of a high speed Glenfarg route for Aberdeen trains? Otherwise you charge from Halbeath to Bridge of Earn, and then crawl into the Moncrieffe Tunnel, through Perth station and wind over the Tay? I don't think it's any more or less likely than Glenfarg itself, which isn't happening any time soon.
Bear in mind that St Andrews reinstatement itself has no economic regeneration argument behind it and for that reason could be a long way off.
This seems to be far more likely than through trains from St Andrew's to Edinburgh.
I usually imagine a Glasgow to St Andrews service.
Glasgow, Stirling, Alloa, Dunfermline, Cupar, St Andrews.
Same time as the X24 bus! (But could still be beaten by going via Dundee to Leuchars and on by bus!)Wow.... I'd be a nice day out in the train but really?
It's already an hour GLQ to Alloa, say 30 minutes trundling along the coast to Dunfermline, 30 minutes to Thornton and another 30 minutes gets you to Leuchars. so a round 2 1/2 hours Glasgow to St Andrews? Not exactly commuting distance.
If the reopening of the line to Bridge of Weir (possibly on to Kilmacolm) was being considered then you'd have to think of redoubling the Paisley Canal line to take some pressure off the line from Ayrshire into Glasgow.
I reckon you could probably still squeeze a single line behind the houses at Paisley Canal (where the cycle path runs now) if coupled with cutting back the steep bank on the other side (which you would probably need to do anyway in order to fit some sort of retaining wall). But the times for a service via Paisley Canal would not be great, and a Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm service would be competing against folk driving to the park and ride station at Johnstone, with its just over 15 minutes journey time to Central.Reinstating the route from Paisley Canal out to Elderslie might prove to be a bit problematic because bits of it have been lost. There is a housing development enclosing the old Paisley Canal station.
I would guess that any plans to reinstate the BoW (or Kilmacolm) branch would be based on reinstating the branch with a new junction at Elderslie and routing via PGS.
Would there be much demand to also reinstate Clackmannan & Kincardine stations along this route?The link below is to a call from Mark Ruskell MSP (Green) for Alloa Dunfermline re-opening to be funded via the Stirling and Clackmannshire City Deal.
http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news...or_Alloa_Dunfermline_rail_link_study/?ref=rss
I think you
I reckon you could probably still squeeze a single line behind the houses at Paisley Canal (where the cycle path runs now) if coupled with cutting back the steep bank on the other side (which you would probably need to do anyway in order to fit some sort of retaining wall). But the times for a service via Paisley Canal would not be great, and a Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm service would be competing against folk driving to the park and ride station at Johnstone, with its just over 15 minutes journey time to Central.
Would there be much demand to also reinstate Clackmannan & Kincardine stations along this route?
The line can't sustain a useful commuter service to Edinburgh. Any path over the bridge would be much better used to run more services on the Circle or towards Perth or Dundee. The STAG process would mean that a rail-connected bus option could be funded instead.
Would there be much demand to also reinstate Clackmannan & Kincardine stations along this route?
I think that we're going round in circles with this, and not for the first time.
Can I ask if there are any old routes that Deltic08 wouldn't reopen, that might help us narrow things down a bit, and maybe even get us to consider setting a budget for this massive infrastructure programme?
Now you are being
Now you are making yourself look ridiculous. Having to resort to statements like this proves your argument to not reinstate is inadequate.
I have a reasonably good track, ha, ha, record in campaigning. I was a founder member of the Dean Forest Railway, served on the committee that saved the Settle-Carlisle from closure in the 1980s and instigator of Hornbean Park station opening in Harrogate despite great opposition from Harrogate Chamber of Trade. What have you achieved with your negativity Mr 47271?
There are only two routes in Scotland where I have pressed repeatedly for reinstating on this site, the Glenfarg and Strathmore routes, with new build from Forfar to a point just south of Laurencekirk to make this a fast route between Perth and Aberdeen as alignment is favourable for 125mph on the reinstated section. The coastal route will never be as fast without spending more than would be needed to restore Strathmore.
When posters emphatically state that a route will never be reinstated, it makes me counter argue the case. The fact is we don't know without a full demand study and benefit/cost analysis. In recent history, demand forecasting has been grossly underestimated with Alloa, Airdrie-Bathgate, Larkfield, Laurencekirk and now Tweedbank and other parts of the UK. It has been a case of build it and they will come in their droves.
I would like to see new build between Tulloch and Newtonmore and surprised this hasn't been built already. Travel from Inverness to Fort William or Oban by rail, passenger or freight, has to be via Glasgow. Now that is ridiculous.
The many Doubting Thomas's on here makes me even more determined to get on with restoring more miles of track.
Now you are being
Now you are making yourself look ridiculous. Having to resort to statements like this proves your argument to not reinstate is inadequate.
I have a reasonably good track, ha, ha, record in campaigning. I was a founder member of the Dean Forest Railway, served on the committee that saved the Settle-Carlisle from closure in the 1980s and instigator of Hornbean Park station opening in Harrogate despite great opposition from Harrogate Chamber of Trade. What have you achieved with your negativity Mr 47271?
There are only two routes in Scotland where I have pressed repeatedly for reinstating on this site, the Glenfarg and Strathmore routes, with new build from Forfar to a point just south of Laurencekirk to make this a fast route between Perth and Aberdeen as alignment is favourable for 125mph on the reinstated section. The coastal route will never be as fast without spending more than would be needed to restore Strathmore.
When posters emphatically state that a route will never be reinstated, it makes me counter argue the case. The fact is we don't know without a full demand study and benefit/cost analysis. In recent history, demand forecasting has been grossly underestimated with Alloa, Airdrie-Bathgate, Larkfield, Laurencekirk and now Tweedbank and other parts of the UK. It has been a case of build it and they will come in their droves.
I would like to see new build between Tulloch and Newtonmore and surprised this hasn't been built already. Travel from Inverness to Fort William or Oban by rail, passenger or freight, has to be via Glasgow. Now that is ridiculous.
The many Doubting Thomas's on here makes me even more determined to get on with restoring more miles of track.
I have to agree, with a slight sense of disappointment - it would be a splendid route, only suffering from a few problems, such as chunks of missing or re-used track bed, a route that misses out one of Scotland's main cities, managing to miss all but a couple of the Strathmore towns, and not providing the transport links that would help the locals most by giving them access to Dundee or improving links between rural communities.Building a direct railway between Perth and Aberdeen bypassing Dundee makes no business sense. I am astonished that anyone would seriously propose it.