I've always wondered if there's a market for more direct rail connections from Fife to Glasgowobviously you have the competition from the X24, X26, X27, etc. Obviously we're somewhat bounded by capacity from Queen Street High Level, but I can imagine running non-stop to Fife, then terminating in Dundee.
I think that a new high-speed Edinburgh-Perth line via Kinross would help with that. Think about it. You'd have two or three stops:
Inverkeithing
Halbeath
Kinross
Perth
There are three more towns on the route - namely Kelty, Milnathort and Bridge of Earn - but I'm going to cast those aside for a moment.
If we're to get 1tp2h from Edinburgh to Inverness, then, once we have this line, they should quite clearly use it. I don't know what would happen to the Dundee/Aberdeen trains, but I'd be looking to divide them in two - send some via Kinross/Perth and some via Kirkcaldy. Then you have Levenmouth and possibly St Andrews to add to the mix. I would divert the hourly Dundee stopper into St Andrews - if possible, then it would run there, then reverse and continue to Dundee by some kind of routing easement, but I think that's unlikely. If Perth trains were to go via Kinross, then that would release much-needed paths on the Fife Coastal Line - paths perfect for the Levenmouth trains.
But then Dundee loses out on an hourly train to Edinburgh, doesn't it? Well, it doesn't really. That train could travel via Kinross - particularly easily if the Kinross line ended at a point
between Perth and Dundee. By making Edinburgh to Dundee trains enter Dundee from Invergowrie, you can increase the amount of services to a station at Dundee West/Ninewells, or to Dundee Airport. These are stopping services, after all.
But Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Cupar and Leuchars lose a key service too, don't they? Well, not actually, because that's the St Andrews service. But these towns all lose half of their trains to Dundee, because those will travel via Kinross. There's not an easy problem to fix, unless you can somehow make Edinburgh-Ladybank-Perth trains divide at Ladybank. Which reminds me...
The line between Ladybank and Perth is the main problem here. You can probably find a few paths between Ladybank/Kirkcaldy and Inverkeithing, but at the Forth Bridge everything will go
haywire. The only way to solve it is to move some other paths around to a different destination. Glasgow, perhaps?
Obviously the Dalmeny Curve is out of the question, since that's on the other side of the Forth Bridge. But why not use the Longannet Line? Of course, it would need electrification, but I daresay that enough people would travel from Cowdenbeath, Dunfermline, Kinross, Inverkeithing, Glenrothes, Leven, Methill, Buckhaven, St. Andrews, Leuchars, Cupar and Dundee to Glasgow.
So
some paths would be diverted down the Longannet Line to Stirling and down that way. You could run 1tp2h from Levenmouth to Glasgow, 1tp2h from St Andrews to Glasgow, you could run from Dundee to Halbeath, then to Dunfermline and Glasgow, you might even be able to find a few paths from Kirkcaldy! It would be hard, but not impossible. This
should free up an hourly Perth-Ladybank-Edinburgh train, and perhaps some through trains from Dundee
as well as St. Andrews. And then you could reopen railway stations on the Ladybank line - Newburgh, Abernethy and Bridge of Earn would all see railways once again, and you'd be able to stop there because these would be stoppers, not Inverness trains.
The one problem identified by
Altnabreac that Levenmouth has is the fact that there aren't any services that can easily be extended today to from the new service. But, by moving some Fife trains to Glasgow, a place of equal size and importance, paths for these services can be created.
The intermediate stops of my proposed Inverkeithing-Kinross-Perth line are important as well. I'd call all trains at Halbeath, and most at a Kinross Parkway station. Halbeath would be an important station; not only would it serve Dunfermline, the M90 and Cowdenbeath, and the Park & Ride facilities, but it would also be an important interchange station connecting the whole of Fife together. All trains down the Longannet Line would call here, so this would be the interchange point for Edinburgh from those services. Trains to Inverness/Aberdeen would run Edinburgh > Haymarket > Edinburgh Gateway > Inverkeithing > Halbeath > Kinross Parkway > Perth/Dundee and onwards from there; the stops at Inverkeithing and Kinross would alternate. 'Stopping' services, such as the Dundee terminators replaced by St. Andrews services, would call at all of these stops, and also Bridge of Earn or something; I'm not entirely sure where. These could even run via Dunfermline, giving Dunfermline Town a direct service to Dundee. If Rosyth ever got a passenger ferry again then that would serve it too. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure of this service's stopping pattern - or indeed any of this - but I'm sure it could be worked out. The Cowdenbeath terminators would be extended, via a new branch line, to terminate at Kelty.
Does
any of that make
any sense? I hope it does...