I'm intending to make a trip from Westhoughton to Manchester Central Zone on a Friday the 0949 train - and for this I can buy an Off-Peak Day Return for £7.50. I hold a 26-30 Railcard but there is a minimum fare before 10am, and so it would be pointless using it in this case.
Now for my return leg, I do not know whether I will be returning before or after 1600 (the start of the evening peak). If I am returning in the evening peak I understand that I am able to excess an OPDR to an Anytime Return. Am I right in thinking that the price would be half the difference between the two tickets? ie (£10.80 - £7.50)/2 = £1.65
Where can this be done - can I do this on the train from the guard or will it have to be done at a ticket office? Can I get a railcard discount on the excess (ie a third off the £1.65) - not that it matters for such a small sum but the principal is there?
Thanks
Now for my return leg, I do not know whether I will be returning before or after 1600 (the start of the evening peak). If I am returning in the evening peak I understand that I am able to excess an OPDR to an Anytime Return. Am I right in thinking that the price would be half the difference between the two tickets? ie (£10.80 - £7.50)/2 = £1.65
Where can this be done - can I do this on the train from the guard or will it have to be done at a ticket office? Can I get a railcard discount on the excess (ie a third off the £1.65) - not that it matters for such a small sum but the principal is there?
Thanks