• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex Virgin Trains Voyagers, where could they go next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
20 Nov 2019
Messages
695
Location
Merthyr Tydfil
I know TfW have all their orders in for the various different new trains, but the Voyagers would have been a good addition on Llandudno to Manchester's or Holyhead to Cardiff's.

Oh I would have loved having them on the Marches route. I'd certainly prefer them to whatever CAF have lined up to replace my beloved 175s.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2017
Messages
1,488
I know there are people on this forum who do not like Voyagers, but I think without the expensive tilting mechanism, they would have made a suitable standard train for use on longer distance trains all over the country but only Virgin ordered them.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,051
I know there are people on this forum who do not like Voyagers, but I think without the expensive tilting mechanism, they would have made a suitable standard train for use on longer distance trains all over the country but only Virgin ordered them.

Even with tilt just having more of them and them being longer would have made a big difference.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I know there are people on this forum who do not like Voyagers, but I think without the expensive tilting mechanism, they would have made a suitable standard train for use on longer distance trains all over the country but only Virgin ordered them.
True, somewhat of a missed opportunity. Then again, with surplus units there is an opportunity to add capacity to XC. I hope it is taken up, even if for the short term.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,051
Is there any country which is particularly prone to its populus having narrow shoulders?

I didn't say that it would make them great, I said that it would make a big difference.

Anyway with more capacity you're going to be less likely to have to sit next to someone else, so even then it would benefit passenger comfort.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
If they are used to lengthen other services, then I would great to see a few empty seats and no one having to stand.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I know there are people on this forum who do not like Voyagers, but I think without the expensive tilting mechanism, they would have made a suitable standard train for use on longer distance trains all over the country but only Virgin ordered them.
I do wonder about what might have been. Going forward, if they don't work with another operator on WCML, the 221s will probably have the tilt removed.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
"More efficiently" in what regard, out of curiosity? As Crosscountry's stock utilisation is about as efficient as it can get.
My fault, was meant to say "more effectively" and was referring to additional capacity created by more double formation running.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Anything to help capacity on XC would be welcome, and the remaining Super Voyager units joining would be a logical and easy way to achieve it.
Would certainly seem the most straightforward option to give Crosscountry the boost in capacity it desperately needs.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,268
Location
West Wiltshire
I've always wondered how much time they would save on a route like Portsmouth-Cardiff that snakes around estuaries, river valleys etc if enhanced tilt speeds were authorised.

Only downside is loads of DMUs would be released, but then its not as if places like Wales are desperate for diesel trains
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I've always wondered how much time they would save on a route like Portsmouth-Cardiff that snakes around estuaries, river valleys etc if enhanced tilt speeds were authorised.

Only downside is loads of DMUs would be released, but then its not as if places like Wales are desperate for diesel trains
Fair point.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
I've always wondered how much time they would save on a route like Portsmouth-Cardiff that snakes around estuaries, river valleys etc if enhanced tilt speeds were authorised.
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually lost time due to being unable to make use of Sprinter differential speed limits on regional routes thanks to their heavy axle loadings.
Only downside is loads of DMUs would be released, but then its not as if places like Wales are desperate for diesel trains
There's certainly plenty of areas of the country crying out for additional provincial diesel units; the East Midlands and Northern franchise areas being key amongst them, as well as Wales in the short term until the new trains begin to enter service. Not sure who could best make use of a displaced fleet of Network Turbos, however (Though GWR's 158s would have a more universal application).
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually lost time due to being unable to make use of Sprinter differential speed limits on regional routes thanks to their heavy axle loadings.

There's certainly plenty of areas of the country crying out for additional provincial diesel units; the East Midlands and Northern franchise areas being key amongst them, as well as Wales in the short term until the new trains begin to enter service. Not sure who could best make use of a displaced fleet of Network Turbos, however (Though GWR's 158s would have a more universal application).
Definitely, the 22x probably wouldn't offer much improvement on those services.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Are the west coast units any more or less reliable than the crosscountry ones?
Not sure of any more recent figures, but in the four years to October 2018 Virgin's 221s were generally less reliable than Crosscountry's: Probably a consequence of still being tilt enabled, though the gap between the two fleets has been closing over that time.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
Are the west coast units any more or less reliable than the crosscountry ones?
I don't know if there's any difference in the figures, bearing in mind they all came from the same manufacturer, and are maintained at the same place.

The one clear difference I can think of is that XC's fleet have had their tilt mechanism disabled, so they can't suffer any tilt faults. XC would obviously do the same for any units transferred from West Coast, so that difference would evaporate very quickly.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
Not sure of any more recent figures, but in the four years to October 2018 Virgin's 221s were generally less reliable than Crosscountry's: Probably a consequence of still being tilt enabled, though the gap between the two fleets has been closing over that time.
Ah okay.
 

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I don't know if there's any difference in the figures, bearing in mind they all came from the same manufacturer, and are maintained at the same place.

The one clear difference I can think of is that XC's fleet have had their tilt mechanism disabled, so they can't suffer any tilt faults. XC would obviously do the same for any units transferred from West Coast, so that difference would evaporate very quickly.
Thanks for clarifying.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
The one clear difference I can think of is that XC's fleet have had their tilt mechanism disabled, so they can't suffer any tilt faults.
Because of the way the train management system is set up, and common to non-tilt 220s as well as tilting 221s, they actually can to an extent, strangely. Though of course there's nothing to physically go wrong so I agree that not having tilt capability reduces the complexity of the units.
 
Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2019
Messages
2,426
Location
Exeter
I don't know if there's any difference in the figures, bearing in mind they all came from the same manufacturer, and are maintained at the same place.

The one clear difference I can think of is that XC's fleet have had their tilt mechanism disabled, so they can't suffer any tilt faults. XC would obviously do the same for any units transferred from West Coast, so that difference would evaporate very quickly.
Although they are maintained by the same company and location, you could argue the West Coast ones certainly look in better condition than those on CrossCountry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top