185
On Moderation
- Joined
- 29 Aug 2010
- Messages
- 5,709
Done right, passport control 'on the fly' is not impossible. Some trains I've seen over the years had the equivalent of an on-board 'cell' for detaining anyone who slipped through net, and removing hiding places was key to making it work.
Boarding checks at the train doors seemed to work well too.
With mobile technology developing, direct access to the IPS Passport database could be available using handheld devices
That said, I've a suspicion we will join Schengen during coming years, on economic grounds, as a shortsighted government will miss the obvious costs associated with benefits and welfare and concentrate on the immediate savings of removing border controls.
Boarding checks at the train doors seemed to work well too.
With mobile technology developing, direct access to the IPS Passport database could be available using handheld devices
That said, I've a suspicion we will join Schengen during coming years, on economic grounds, as a shortsighted government will miss the obvious costs associated with benefits and welfare and concentrate on the immediate savings of removing border controls.