• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar food and drink policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham H

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2018
Messages
337
Its been a few years since I travelled on Eurostar, indeed it was still running from Waterloo at the time. One real advantage was you could take food and drink on board and consume your own picnic as you watched the world go by. However recent google searches produce conflicting messages ranging from an outright ban and confiscation at check in/security to others that seem to indicate its OK still although obviously in moderation. If there is a ban presumably you cant even bring back a few bottles of wine in your luggage for consumption at home ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
I’ve taken food and drink plenty of times without any thought or mention
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
You can indeed take food and drink in, though you need to consume it before the other side if it's fresh food that might be restricted on being taken in. There's a limit on alcohol to stop groups of lads getting excessively drunk (which was previously an issue) but it's fairly generous, it'll only affect you if you are one of those "lads" or an alky.

They have little boxes with holes in so coffee can safely go through the X-ray machine, but you can also buy it inside.

The alcohol policy is a bit "woolly" and is clearly intended to only be applied to people who look like they'll cause trouble, e.g. stag and hen dos, and unlikely to be enforced on a lone or couple/family travelling with a few bottles of plonk to take home.
 

Graham H

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2018
Messages
337
Thanks for the replies. I did think that the stag/hen/football groups might have been the reason behind the total ban I read about but if thats now been removed and a policy of sensible moderation that the majority would keep to is in place then thats good news. Happy to consume before 'the other side' and I did see notices in Helsinki airport that meat (amongst other things) couldnt be imported from outside the EU and they were still citing BSE as the reason !
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,329
Location
Glasgow
Thanks for the replies. I did think that the stag/hen/football groups might have been the reason behind the total ban I read about but if thats now been removed and a policy of sensible moderation that the majority would keep to is in place then thats good news. Happy to consume before 'the other side' and I did see notices in Helsinki airport that meat (amongst other things) couldnt be imported from outside the EU and they were still citing BSE as the reason !
Meat and dairy. Best eat any macaroni or Scotch pies before leaving the train ;)
 

Graham H

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2018
Messages
337
Meat and dairy. Best eat any macaroni or Scotch pies before leaving the train ;)
Luckily I got a good price for Standard Premier on the way out (to Amsterdam) so not worried about the trip there. Coming back standard which actually cost more and no way could I justify premier on the way back given the price differential so was just making sure I could grab something to make a picnic on the way back.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Luckily I got a good price for Standard Premier on the way out (to Amsterdam) so not worried about the trip there. Coming back standard which actually cost more and no way could I justify premier on the way back given the price differential so was just making sure I could grab something to make a picnic on the way back.

Yes, you can. I did it both ways (to Brussels and back) a couple of weeks ago.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
I've never had trouble eating on board any food or drink I've taken on with me, nor ever had trouble with, eg, a sarnie or whatever I've carried right through the system to eat after arrival. However, there are in theory rules about not taking things (such as food) which could carry anything infectious and hence spread some disease from one country to another [though I'm a vegetarian and rarely travel with a chicken carcass], which is fair enough - and I think has historically applied in other situations too (like transit between the island of Britain and the island of Ireland).

Though in the same way that the re-established "customs checks" now operate in theory on arrival at Gare de Nord etc, but in practice no-one who looks like a "normal holiday-maker" etc is ever stopped, I assume the "health checks on arriving animal products" rules are also completely nominal.

But on-board eating/drinking your own stuff is not even a theoretical problem - as long as you don't cause a nuisance! (On a recent Brussels-London journey a loud guy in the seat in front of me had clearly been enjoying a bit too much Trappist beer before leaving - but of course if it's consumed before departure there's little to be done anyway...)
 

Graham H

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2018
Messages
337
Thanks for all the encouraging responses. I did get a reply from a helpful person at Eurostar who basically said no ban, just be sensible and they had the right to stop excessive amounts being taken on board. It seems the reference I saw to a ban and confiscation was missing the key words 'On night ski trains and for sporting events' so was probably the usual lazy journalist trying to sensationalise things and taking it out of context.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Thanks for all the encouraging responses. I did get a reply from a helpful person at Eurostar who basically said no ban, just be sensible and they had the right to stop excessive amounts being taken on board. It seems the reference I saw to a ban and confiscation was missing the key words 'On night ski trains and for sporting events' so was probably the usual lazy journalist trying to sensationalise things and taking it out of context.

The ski trains ban alcohol entirely due to the tendency for people to sit up all night drinking and talking loudly, stopping others sleeping. That's very specific to those trains.
 

Graham H

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2018
Messages
337
The ski trains ban alcohol entirely due to the tendency for people to sit up all night drinking and talking loudly, stopping others sleeping. That's very specific to those trains.
Yes thats what I now know. Unfortunately the post just said Eurostar had banned alcohol without bothering to mention it was the ski trains !
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
https://food.ec.europa.eu/animals/animal-products-movements/personal-imports_en says

The current rules are laid down in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/2122Search for available translations of the preceding linkEN•••, which repeals and replaces the previously applicable Commission Regulation (EC) No 206/2009. This Regulation clearly explains to the general public the rules concerning the introduction of animal products into the EU. Namely:
  • Travellers are not allowed to bring in meat, milk or their products, unless they are coming with less than 10 kilograms of these products from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland
  • There is also an exemption for powdered infant milk, infant food, and special foods or special pet feed required for medical reasons, if weighing less than 2 kilograms and provided that:
    • such products do not require refrigeration before opening
    • that they are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and
    • the packaging is unbroken unless in current use
  • For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms or the weight of one fish if this is higher. However, there is no such weight restriction for travellers coming from the Faeroe Islands or Greenland
  • For other animal products, such as honey, live oysters, live mussels and snails for example, travellers are allowed to bring in up to 2 kilograms
  • These rules do not apply to animal products transported between the EU Member States, or for animal products coming from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino or Switzerland.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
It is a few years since I used Eurostar, but they seemed to maintain the post 9/11 ban on opened cans from being taken onboard. It is possible that they had dropped it before I last travelled, but I just didn’t notice as I only ever carried a clear plastics water bottle and bought coffee once through check-in.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Had no problem taking and consuming my own food and beer on either trip recently.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"

You can take all that stuff on the Eurostar. You just can't take it off at the other end other than inside your stomach. Flights are generally the same give or take liquids rules.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It is a few years since I used Eurostar, but they seemed to maintain the post 9/11 ban on opened cans from being taken onboard. It is possible that they had dropped it before I last travelled, but I just didn’t notice as I only ever carried a clear plastics water bottle and bought coffee once through check-in.

It's got nothing really to do with 9/11, and is just because they don't have a means of putting open cans through the X-ray machine without the risk of spillage causing damage. They do allow lidded tea and coffee, there's a special tray with slots to keep it upright.
 

popeter45

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2019
Messages
1,497
Location
london
they really dont care about food from my experince
even post brexit ive taken irn bru and (normal) brownies with me and even when clearly presented in my luggage as it goes thru the scanner never been even ask about them
 

Sm5

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2016
Messages
1,013
Only thing ive seen change on Eurostar post Brexit, is Ebbsfleet stop has gone, theres a random customs check / office at Brussels.
Passport checking in London needs a French stamp, and exiting France, Belgium or Holland has become a labour some chore as the queuing has become very slow for passport checking.

Some stuff is now duty free, but is generally rubbish anyway.

otherwise, everything else looks unchanged.
 

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
Can anyone advise how refreshments are served in Standard Premier from Amsterdam to London?

Does service start upon departure from Amsterdam, or is it delayed until departure from Brussels?
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
I recall that you get a soft drink or coffee/tea with some nibbles, served by a Belgian crew, they come off at Brux and are substituted by the normal ES crew and the tray snack is then served (Brux being the cold store on the route). But if you want any substantial feeding, best to do so before/after the journey....
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
It is a few years since I used Eurostar, but they seemed to maintain the post 9/11 ban on opened cans from being taken onboard. It is possible that they had dropped it before I last travelled, but I just didn’t notice as I only ever carried a clear plastics water bottle and bought coffee once through check-in.

I brought an open can of energy drink through not realising (somewhat naively) that it might be a bit ‘taboo’. They asked me to go to another customs booth for some reason, although that officer just stamped my passport as leaving England, and that was that.
 

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
I recall that you get a soft drink or coffee/tea with some nibbles, served by a Belgian crew, they come off at Brux and are substituted by the normal ES crew and the tray snack is then served (Brux being the cold store on the route). But if you want any substantial feeding, best to do so before/after the journey....
Thanks.

Planning to drop in to 1e Klas before we board anyway. (with their Interrail discount!)
 

popeter45

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2019
Messages
1,497
Location
london
At Amsterdam? I was told that wasn't a thing when I tried that in 2021.
on that note one thing i discovered last time i was in amsterdam was when i went to the international first class lounge to buy access found out they let you in even with standard premium
 

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
At Amsterdam? I was told that wasn't a thing when I tried that in 2021.
Some confusion, I fear.

I was referring to the 1e Clas Restaurant and bar in the former first class waiting room rather than the NS First Class Lounge (though I understand Interrail First Class passes are accepted there)
 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,946
Location
London
Some confusion, I fear.

I was referring to the 1e Clas Restaurant and bar in the former first class waiting room rather than the NS First Class Lounge (though I understand Interrail First Class passes are accepted there)
That's the one I meant too.
 

popeter45

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2019
Messages
1,497
Location
london
Some confusion, I fear.

I was referring to the 1e Clas Restaurant and bar in the former first class waiting room rather than the NS First Class Lounge (though I understand Interrail First Class passes are accepted there)
yea thats the one i was refering too as well
 

Re 4/4

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2018
Messages
226
Location
Bristol
In the mid 2010s I did once take the full set of rucksack, tent, poles and ice-axe with the sharp bits covered in cardboard and tape. I also had cutlery and a stove (but no gas canister) with me. Got questioned by an army patrol in Gare du Nord but Eurostar was fine with it.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In the mid 2010s I did once take the full set of rucksack, tent, poles and ice-axe with the sharp bits covered in cardboard and tape. I also had cutlery and a stove (but no gas canister) with me. Got questioned by an army patrol in Gare du Nord but Eurostar was fine with it.

Ice axes seem to be a constant debate between Eurostar and the BMC* etc with policy flip flopping by the minutes. I do understand the difficulty given that they would make a very effective weapon. They're not fussy about most climbing gear though, I've taken it on there before. I have heard about them being fussy about butter knives and similar, though, as while you'd have a job doing any damage with one in law they're technically fixed blade knives. The current website policy says knives are allowed if the blade is under 3in even if they don't fold, though, which covers most travel cutlery but I think my normal butter knives in the kitchen are longer.

* British Mountaineering Council
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top