Hi,
I am applying for a trainee driver job with GA. I am currently in another good city job so it is a big risk swapping the office for the cab, but I have a few questions I am struggling to find answers for in terms of the future of the role and sustainability of skills and operation.
Currently, the WAML uses conventional 4 aspect signalling with 379s and 317s serving the route, which for me would be an ideal loco/operation setup. Having looked at the strategic business plan set out by Network Rail, I can see that the renewals budget for line side signalling equipment has been removed, and CP6 is laying the foundation for ETCS signalling (that we can already see in operation on open rail with Thameslink) with ambitious projects such as London to Peterborough and Cross Rail all using ETCS.
Though I can undoubtedly see the benefits of digital signalling and has no problem with A-DAS, my biggest concern is the implementation of ATO. If I was to become a driver, ATO would be enough for me to leave the role, so I wanted some idea of how long it will be until things change. Looking at network rails publically available route plans for the WAML, it says the line will be ETCS enabled by 2040, and of course with he new fleet arriving next year for GA I can see the bigger plan to be the implementation of a traffic management system.
My main questions: how long will drivers be conventionally operating locos on the WAML, will ATO be implemented, if so when. Do you think you could still get a whole career out of being a train driver, would working life as a driver be as bad as I think it would be with ATO, does ATO spell the end of the job by making it redundant?
(PS. yes, I am aware that the ETCS framework that the UK railway is currently installing is level 2 so there is no moving block or full autonomy, but level 2 still contains ATO and my interest are in the operation, control and driving of the train)
Thanks,
Arm
I am applying for a trainee driver job with GA. I am currently in another good city job so it is a big risk swapping the office for the cab, but I have a few questions I am struggling to find answers for in terms of the future of the role and sustainability of skills and operation.
Currently, the WAML uses conventional 4 aspect signalling with 379s and 317s serving the route, which for me would be an ideal loco/operation setup. Having looked at the strategic business plan set out by Network Rail, I can see that the renewals budget for line side signalling equipment has been removed, and CP6 is laying the foundation for ETCS signalling (that we can already see in operation on open rail with Thameslink) with ambitious projects such as London to Peterborough and Cross Rail all using ETCS.
Though I can undoubtedly see the benefits of digital signalling and has no problem with A-DAS, my biggest concern is the implementation of ATO. If I was to become a driver, ATO would be enough for me to leave the role, so I wanted some idea of how long it will be until things change. Looking at network rails publically available route plans for the WAML, it says the line will be ETCS enabled by 2040, and of course with he new fleet arriving next year for GA I can see the bigger plan to be the implementation of a traffic management system.
My main questions: how long will drivers be conventionally operating locos on the WAML, will ATO be implemented, if so when. Do you think you could still get a whole career out of being a train driver, would working life as a driver be as bad as I think it would be with ATO, does ATO spell the end of the job by making it redundant?
(PS. yes, I am aware that the ETCS framework that the UK railway is currently installing is level 2 so there is no moving block or full autonomy, but level 2 still contains ATO and my interest are in the operation, control and driving of the train)
Thanks,
Arm
