• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Energy Price Hike- all Hype ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,471
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I wouldn't recommend fixing at much higher than the lowest variable tariff, but many people are probably paying even more than the fixed tariff. There isn't that much risk if you go for one without exit penalties.

Do you think that exit penalties will be more and more part of any new contracts on products that are free from them at the present time ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Really?

So why am I paying £1057.34* this year?
Oh that is after the Government saw fit to give me a £50 rebate.

* Anyone else paying anything close to this?

Surely this cannot be for Water unless you are running a Swimming Pool open to the public or something :p

Or live in a stately home :lol:
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
I wouldn't recommend fixing at much higher than the lowest variable tariff, but many people are probably paying even more than the fixed tariff. There isn't that much risk if you go for one without exit penalties.

I agree. I think it's a rather cynical ploy to get someone tied to one supplier for 48 months (but I'm not sure of the conditions, and it may well be that you ARE free to leave after a certain period, but possibly with some penalty?).
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,471
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I see that some ""offered low-tariff rates" by energy suppliers are vanishing without trace after an enormous demand by those now involving themselves on the "change-supplier merry-go-round" that has suddenly taken place, according to some of the companies who organise such "switching".

The energy companies are three steps ahead of the consumers involving themselves in this game, with already-prepared excuses should they be queried over this matter.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
I understood that 455Driver's bill was for water, not gas or electricity. It was a lot more than the £375.07 I paid South Staffs Water this year.

At least somebody understood what I was on about instead of just having a cheap shot! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Surely this cannot be for Water unless you are running a Swimming Pool open to the public or something :p

Or live in a stately home :lol:

It is an ex council semi detached 3 bedroom built in the 1950s, no swimming pool (unless you count the one put back units box 2 week's ago).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Giving an expensive price still says nothing about how it compares to Scotland or Wales...

It's for the water in the tap and to get rid of the waste, what is there to discuss?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
At least somebody understood what I was on about instead of just having a cheap shot! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


It is an ex council semi detached 3 bedroom built in the 1950s, no swimming pool (unless you count the one put back units box 2 week's ago).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


It's for the water in the tap and to get rid of the waste, what is there to discuss?

What's the rateable value or have you got a meter ?
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Will work out about £2 a week increase for me.
Just don't use unnecessary energy, wear a jumper or an extra blanket and turn the heating down.
A good example is that I went to my father in law's house, who is moaning about his high energy bills, and he has his heating on really high like a sauna and he Is sat there in shorts and T Shirt. Turn the heating down and where some more clothes layers!
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,471
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It's for the water in the tap and to get rid of the waste, what is there to discuss?

Can you be so kind as to inform us of the name of the water company involved.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Will work out about £2 a week increase for me.
Just don't use unnecessary energy, wear a jumper or an extra blanket and turn the heating down.
A good example is that I went to my father in law's house, who is moaning about his high energy bills, and he has his heating on really high like a sauna and he Is sat there in shorts and T Shirt. Turn the heating down and where some more clothes layers!

If you have a medical condition that can be exacerbated by coldness and have been advised that having constant warm air to breathe is advisable, no amount of jumpers and blankets will pre-warm the air entering your lungs.
 
Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
If you want an example of a Utility both privatised and non-privatised Water is a good example.

Unlike England, water in Scotland and I believe Wales remains under effectively what amounts to state control.

Prices are comparable with no huge differences between the two models of operation. :idea:

In Scotland and Northern Ireland water is covered by their Rates (Council Tax).

I am in England in the band A council tax, my friend in Scotland pays less for his rates than I pay for Council tax alone. My water is an additonal bill around £45. He always taunts me about rip off England
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can you be so kind as to inform us of the name of the water company involved.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


If you have a medical condition that can be exacerbated by coldness and have been advised that having constant warm air to breathe is advisable, no amount of jumpers and blankets will pre-warm the air entering your lungs.

Indeed but I only said turn the heat down not off, having it on middle setting instead of high will still have warm air, but also a significant saving.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
In Scotland and Northern Ireland water is covered by their Rates (Council Tax).

I am in England in the band A council tax, my friend in Scotland pays less for his rates than I pay for Council tax alone. My water is an additonal bill around £45. He always taunts me about rip off England

It's not covered by The Council Tax but collected alongside it, with separate charges listed for water and sewerage. (checked my bill)

I'm sure water in Wales is not privatised either.

I think where you live is one of the most expensive areas for water in England , other areas are a lot cheaper.
 
Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
It's not covered by The Council Tax but collected alongside it, with separate charges listed for water and sewerage. (checked my bill)

I'm sure water in Wales is not privatised either.

I think where you live is one of the most expensive areas for water in England , other areas are a lot cheaper.

South West Water have the highest rates, so yes I am in the expensive area.

I guessed it was all the same for you up there as my customers (mortgage arrears collections) always tell me it as one figure rather than a break down.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
What's the rateable value or have you got a meter ?

Band A and no meter, with 2 youngish children it wouldn't be any cheaper.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's South West Water.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Band A and no meter, with 2 youngish children it wouldn't be any cheaper.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's South West Water.

I'm metered South West Water, 2 young children and I'm about £45 per month. your bill is massive that you quoted previously.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
I suspect that 455driver had one too many before composing that post and missed the zero that mysteriously slipped into his figure.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Okay fine, I am not paying water rates of £1057.34 to South West Water and I am not reading the bill which states that the charges are composed of-

Water charges £425.15
Sewarage charges £682.19
Government contribution £50.00CR
Total charges £1057.34

That is obviously a load of bull**** isn't it. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and last years Bill definitely wasn't £1044.43 either, because that is obviously a load of crap as well.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
My advise to 455driver would be to get a meter installed. My rates weren't far off these quoted before having a meter installed.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Not only do I have to tolerate know alls telling. y job is easy blah blah blah now they are saying I can't read a ****in water Bill.

Anyone want the breakdown on the bill which I obviously can't read as it doesn't exist.
I I pay my combined gas and electric by Direct Dedit of £150.00 (4 thoughts) or have I got that wrong as well?
Anything else want to have a ****in dig? <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That last post wasn't aimed at you richW.

A meter wouldn't be much use as the washing machine is on twice a day every day plus all the other stuff that the kids get up to in summer.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
That last post wasn't aimed at you richW.

A meter wouldn't be much use as the washing machine is on twice a day every day plus all the other stuff that the kids get up to in summer.

My machine is on similar, plus bath for the kids several times a week, paddling pools etc, and not gone over £50 a month.

For a family of 4, the amount they will bill you for non metered is either 13 or 14 cubic metres. which would come to about 1000-1100 a year at SWW rates of around £6 cubic metre which was the rate on my recent bill.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Get a meter now! You're paying an absolute fortune, and even a washing machine twice a day isn't going to use that much water (especially a modern one). Ditto for a dishwasher.

I can't remember exactly what our bills are, but it's something silly like £130 - and that's for SIX months. So for a three bedroom house, with two adults and a baby, it's £260 a year.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Get a meter now! You're paying an absolute fortune, and even a washing machine twice a day isn't going to use that much water (especially a modern one). Ditto for a dishwasher.

I can't remember exactly what our bills are, but it's something silly like £130 - and that's for SIX months. So for a three bedroom house, with two adults and a baby, it's £260 a year.


If you have a meter installed I'm sure you can have it on a trial basis to see if it works out cheaper and if not revert to the previous method of calculation.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
I can't see how it could be more expensive unless you really are filling swimming pools and watering acres of land regularly.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
Anything else want to have a ****in dig? <D

Ouch! Obviously then it was aimed at me. I apologise.

I still think you are being ripped off though.

If you have a meter installed I'm sure you can have it on a trial basis to see if it works out cheaper and if not revert to the previous method of calculation.

Twelve months you can have it on a trial basis.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Ouch! Obviously then it was aimed at me. I apologise.

I still think you are being ripped off though.

Try living south west water region, we all are being ripped off especially those without a meter.

A family of 4 with no meter is charged as 14 cubic meters per month.
1 cubic meter is around £6. Total approx. £84 per month or £1008 a year. I think its just over £6 a cubic meter which would tie in with the bill he quotes.

I was being charged similar, and had meter installed and it is now around £45 a month (I'm not sure exact figures as due to SWW f*** up I am paying off arrears, but including the arrears I pay a total of £60 a month). My last 6 month bill was just over £270 plus arrears balance.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
No richW you are wrong, you must have slipped at extra zero in there somewhere because all water companies charge the same dont they! ;)

When I moved down South my new Water rates were more than I was paying for Water rates and Council Tax combined up North.

RichW I will be looking into getting a meter as well, we did look about 10 years ago and it wasnt worth it then but it might be now.
Thanks for the advice.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ouch! Obviously then it was aimed at me. I apologise.
Fair do's but it was an open invite.

I still think you are being ripped off though.
Still got to pay it, its just a pity I cant buy my water from a different Area sort of like getting off a train early!;)

Twelve months you can have it on a trial basis.

I will look into it.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
The government has even recognised we are being ripped off in this region and give us £50 to our annual bill!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,466
I must say that I am speechless. Not much shocks me money-wise these days but this situation sounds really dire. A wholly monopolistic market yet successive governments were happy to just watch on from the side. £50 hardly does much when your bill is four-figures.

Fair do's but it was an open invite.

An attempted humour was lost somewhere but I'm not too hung up on it. Of course I wasn't really implying that you didn't know how to read your bill.

Still, shocking rates!!!
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
£50 hardly does much when your bill is four-figures.QUOTE]

Plus the fact it was just a one off!<D

Next time any of you are on Holiday in the 'sunny South' think about us poor saps subsidising your water!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
I'm down in the south too, but as we're in a new property (built 2003) it had a meter by default.

In my old flat in London, we didn't have a meter but I've got a feeling the water rates were divided up in the whole block? I don't remember it being much whatever the case.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
To be fair, the thread title does refer to...."Energy Price Hike"

Since when has the thread title had anything to do with whats in the thread?

Hope you wake up in a better mood tomorrow so you dont rip into somebody else for no reason!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top