I know my views on this topic are not popular here as I go against the all football is evil and all football fans are scum who should be horsewhipped RUK consensus but here goes:
Even non-disruptive fans make me nervous, because the rate of football fans who are disruptive is much much higher than the rate of random members of the public who are disruptive.
I agree. Only have to look at the number of them who randomly scream and shout in public. Some of them were broadcast on national TV during the Paddington series last week.
the world must terrify you. Noise and people scare you? Really? How do you cope with life? Do you ever leave home?
Sadly they aren't "lunatics", but normal functioning people who simply view their vile behaviour as a staple part of their day out at the footy, such is the abhorrent culture that has built up around the game and continues to linger today. Other sports have fans who get drunk and rowdy, but the 'football problem' is very different. All too often it isn't spontaneous, 'heat of the moment' stuff, it's entirely premeditated and seen as a central part of being a 'fan'. If the football authorities could be distracted from drooling over their huge piles of cash for a short while, perhaps some sharp action could be taken in an attempt to finally curb that rotten culture, but sadly that seems to be incredibly low on their list of priorities.
You are entitled to your opinion but it is not one I can agree with. I am a football fan. I haven't ever had a fight or set out to have one. Am I doing this wrong?
The FA and their clubs should very definitely be held far more liable for the disruption they cause and the enormous cost of dealing with it, yes. Particularly sickening are those games which are known to be highly likely to result in conflict and violence due to particular club rivalries, and which are allowed to go ahead regardless. The police do not have the resources for this utter nonsense, and in any other scenario the staging of such an event would be deemed utterly reckless and prevented from going ahead. Football is not a special case, and it's high time it stopped being treated as such.
The crime and disorder factor needs a far greater emphasis in football, and perhaps it's time fixtures were subject to an assessment, meaning that games which result in enormous clashes of boneheaded halfwits battering one another simply aren't allowed to be repeated, ever. Those clubs with particularly idiotic followers would end up playing fewer and fewer matches and maybe eventually the message would get through.
This is preposterous. There is relatively little crime and disorder at football. Those of us who go every week know this. Perhaps all forms of association or fun should be banned.
Absolutely. They can't go 5 minutes without singing or shouting. As soon as they step off the train the chanting starts. It's intimidating and unpleasant for those of us who deal with it constantly and it's awful for unwitting passengers who get caught up with it.
Why is singing football songs and chanting on a train acceptable when it's in breach of the byelaws?
I wish I was more than a lone person with a cheap shirt, name badge and a ticket machine. Some of the conditions on these trains are horrendous. There aren't enough police to deal with it and most of it just gets left alone because it's too much effort/risk to prevent it.
For the avoidance of doubt I work through a whole host of football cities and I long for the end of the season. I actually check the fixtures before the weekend to see I've got lucky or not.
Aka people having a fun day out should meet with your own personal approval before being allowed out eh? Perhaps they should all sing kumbaya hold hands and drink chamomile tea like a mothers union outing. Why is it some many posters here dislike people having fun?
A bit of signing and people should be locked away? Intimidating? For goodness sake.
I will state
again for the avoidance of doubt that anyone causing real trouble should be dealt with harshly. it is clear that the reports above OBVIOUSLY fall into this category. It needs dealing with and dealing with harshly.
(which by the way is quite a bit more than just “being louder than normal”).
Being louder than normal is exactly what the majority of members here mean. They have no idea what they are on about.