Hiya, I'm not sure where to post this so hopefully it ends up in the right place. I've been pulled from the talent pool for a conductor apprenticeship with EMR out of Notts, and am trying to wrap my head around what the schedule/shifts/turns/roster will actually look like. I read shift work is great, yes earlies and lates, time off in a row etc but being an hour away from the depot it just adds that much more time out of my day.
Can someone help pls understand:
- how do you book your time off? Ie if I have tickets to a concert, I can't work that night, and wouldn't want to work a 4 am start the following morning...
- do you have to work 'mandatory overtime'? Is that just when the train is delayed etc or do you have to work on your scheduled rest days?
- how many days in a row at most do you have to work, and how often does that happen? I've read 7-8 days and also 13.
- can you request multiple (7 day weeks) off, ie to take a two week holiday?
- how early before your scheduled time/shift do you need to be at the depot?
Any other input is appreciated, I am a planner and this is a big gap in my info that I feel is important before I accept the role, and not sure how clear the contract will be. Thank you in advance!
Hiya, I'm not sure where to post this so hopefully it ends up in the right place. I've been pulled from the talent pool for a conductor apprenticeship with EMR out of Notts, and am trying to wrap my head around what the schedule/shifts/turns/roster will actually look like. I read shift work is great, yes earlies and lates, time off in a row etc but being an hour away from the depot it just adds that much more time out of my day.
Can someone help pls understand:
Any other input is appreciated, I am a planner and this is a big gap in my info that I feel is important before I accept the role, and not sure how clearthe contract will be. Thank you in advance!
Hello, I am a conductor working out of Nottingham so hopefully can answer your questions. Please feel free to reply if you have any more.
- can you request multiple (7 day weeks) off, ie to take a two week holiday
At the moment you get 8 days by application so individual days to apply for, and 4 weeks "block leave" which is allocated to you - one "spring week", two "summer weeks" together and one "winter week".
It is allocated - but you can swap either with another person or into a week which doesn't have the maximum number of people off - for a depot of around 140ish (not sure of the exact number off) you're allowed a maximum of 11 off a week and daily leave I will cover below. You can move to whenever you want within reason subject to availability - 3 weeks in the winter for example - but obviously things like school holidays are popular though there is no specific priority given.
- how many days in a row at most do you have to work, and how often does that happen? I've read 7-8 days and also 13
The roster is as follows as a basic standard:
Week 1: Friday Saturday off
Week 2: Sunday Monday Tuesday off
Week 3: Wednesday Thursday off
As a new recruit you'll have Sundays in the working week and as a result you get another day off the following week in lieu - these are arranged so you will have either 3 days off in a row Tuesday to Thursday or a 6 day weekend.
Either way every 3 weeks you will have a long weekend and the maximum booked working stretch is 7 consecutive shifts. Overtime is fairly readily available most of the time if you want to work it. You have to have at least 1 day off in 13 to comply with the Hidden recommendations.
You do a week of earlies then a week of lates and swap constantly.
- do you have to work 'mandatory overtime'? Is that just when the train is delayed etc or do you have to work on your scheduled rest days
Not really. If you have a "spare" shift you can be allocated work up to 10 hours though the standard work day is 8 hrs 45 mins, some shifts are shorter some are longer and it balances to a 35 hour week more or less. If you are allocated a longer shift off spare then you are paid the overtime. Otherwise Sundays are already in the week and there is no commitment to work any rest day. Obviously if your train is late, it's late and you have to live with that although you are paid for it.
- how do you book your time off? Ie if I have tickets to a concert, I can't work that night, and wouldn't want to work a 4 am start the following morning
You apply in a book. First so many people (currently 5 or 6, it's changed a bit recently) get guaranteed the day off, anyone after that is subject to availability (in abeyance). If you are within the first say 6 or whatever it is you are guaranteed it off even if there's crew shortages. Leave resets every year on 1st January.
- how early before your scheduled time/shift do you need to be at the depot?
14 or 16 minutes before the train leaves is the book on time but in practice you need to be there a little before. Earliest shift start is around 0330 and latest finish around 0100 normally.