westtoeast
New Member
Hey, I remember you for sure. Had you come over from Bristol area? That’s such a shame, I wonder why no contact at all for you.
Yep thats me. I have absolutely no idea as to why. I emailed them a few times but no response. I also tried calling but got fobed off and told someone would be in touch shortly (never happened)Hey, I remember you for sure. Had you come over from Bristol area? That’s such a shame, I wonder why no contact at all for you.
Hiya, I'm not sure where to post this so hopefully it ends up in the right place. I've been pulled from the talent pool for a conductor apprenticeship with EMR out of Notts, and am trying to wrap my head around what the schedule/shifts/turns/roster will actually look like. I read shift work is great, yes earlies and lates, time off in a row etc but being an hour away from the depot it just adds that much more time out of my day.
Can someone help pls understand:
- how do you book your time off? Ie if I have tickets to a concert, I can't work that night, and wouldn't want to work a 4 am start the following morning...
- do you have to work 'mandatory overtime'? Is that just when the train is delayed etc or do you have to work on your scheduled rest days?
- how many days in a row at most do you have to work, and how often does that happen? I've read 7-8 days and also 13.
- can you request multiple (7 day weeks) off, ie to take a two week holiday?
- how early before your scheduled time/shift do you need to be at the depot?
Any other input is appreciated, I am a planner and this is a big gap in my info that I feel is important before I accept the role, and not sure how clear the contract will be. Thank you in advance
Hi mate.Hey all,
So I attended the EMR in-person testing stage in Lincoln last year (April) and was successful and placed in a talent pool. The only thing I’ve heard since then was in August, and that said that the last course of the year in October was full.
Would it harm my chances/position if I emailed the HR person to gently inquire as to the process or where I might be? Lincoln and Boston are the two depots nearest to me but as I understand you can only be in the talent pool for one only.
Any advice gratefully received.
Unfortunately this is quite the norm with railway recruitment. You can be placed in a talent pool and it’s basically a case of how long is a piece of string playing the waiting game. Nothing to stop you emailing them every 6 weeks or so to remain on their radar! Also as and when the phone call comes it can interfere with notice periods.Hi mate.
So I went to an assessment day February last year for EMR in Norwich. Pretty sure there were other people for the Boston & Lincoln area. Got offered the role the very next day.
Fast forward a year later, and I’m still in the talent pool.
I’ve asked for regular updates, and most of the time it gets ignored.
Got the same generic one around September stating their position for October is full and will have to wait until next year.
Ironically they email me end of January asking me if I’m still interested, as future positions maybe imminently coming.
Of course I replied positively, and now radio silence again two months later.
At this point, I feel they’ll just reach out as and when there is a position available. It sucks, and luckily I have a job whilst I wait.
Still, when I reflect on the overall experience it’s bloody awful.
Hope this helps.