• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ember: Electric coach service

CMBS

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2026
Messages
112
Location
Scotland
Ember have announced intentions to double their fleet size with backing from private equity within 18 months and introducing more night services, this comes after 6 years in operation.

Flixbus have essentially managed to hover up everything in a large chunk of Europe, and in a very short amount of time. How much of a risk with Ember's model does it pose towards Flixbus in the coming future given it's somewhat ambitious plans? Flixbus follows conventional coach company methods of operation, and certainly in the Scottish market at the moment there doesn't appear to be much innovation from Flixbus at the very moment.

If range in EV coaches does not improve in the future, Ember may be limited to the regional market, unless national routes can be made with charging breaks.

https://www.ember.to/news/#ember-raises-£18m-to-keep-building-the-next-generation-of-public-transport-8-oct-2026
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,152
That press released hasn't said anything new or given us in sight what there really up to. There were always going to get another 100 coaches within the next year because of ScotZeb3. If they had told us about what's planned for the Kirkcaldy Depot or if they going to Ayrshire... but they have hinted at England

Looking further ahead, we intend to bring that experience to other countries and regions.

that's the only interesting bit.
 
Last edited:

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,700
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Flixbus follows conventional coach company methods of operation,
Really? I look at them as a ‘virtual’ operator - they are a Brand, chose a strident eye-piercing colour, and as far as I can tell don’t own any vehicles nor employ drivers - everything else is sub-contracted. Ember however built everything themselves from scratch, sourcing their vehicles, depots, drivers and an IT system that manages their fleet and retails their tickets to the public. How many operators do that?
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,778
Location
Yorkshire
Really? I look at them as a ‘virtual’ operator - they are a Brand, chose a strident eye-piercing colour, and as far as I can tell don’t own any vehicles nor employ drivers - everything else is sub-contracted. Ember however built everything themselves from scratch, sourcing their vehicles, depots, drivers and an IT system that manages their fleet and retails their tickets to the public. How many operators do that?
National Express and Megabus also subcontracted the vast majority of their routes. Flixbus seems to do much the same, though the details of contracts may be different.
 

CMBS

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2026
Messages
112
Location
Scotland
Really? I look at them as a ‘virtual’ operator - they are a Brand, chose a strident eye-piercing colour, and as far as I can tell don’t own any vehicles nor employ drivers - everything else is sub-contracted. Ember however built everything themselves from scratch, sourcing their vehicles, depots, drivers and an IT system that manages their fleet and retails their tickets to the public. How many operators do that?
Meant in UK terms, not sure how things work in Europe. It's generally conventional at least here for intercity operators to contract services out to smaller coach operators and Citylink/DubEx in Ireland also exercise this.
I know Flixbus also contracts out in Europe.
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,152
And Ive heard they've nearly finished their expansion in Scotland.
There still 75 coaches worth of work still to be found for these new coaches coming in. You could fudge it and say the oringal 26 have now done 5 years work they can go else where.

Talk is Glasgow to Falkirk to Edinburgh plus a Kirkcaldy to Dundee route. That 15 coaches? there still 60 spare coaches.
 

Spsf3232

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
427
Location
Glasgow
And Ive heard they've nearly finished their expansion in Scotland.
No where near finished. They still have approx 40 vehicles still needing work and that's at current use rates. If they tightened up Charging times for vehicles they could run more intense services as currently all vehicles are not utilised to the max mostly.

Each depot has many vehicles parked not charging at any time. I think Livingston is the one that's probably hardest used just now.
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,152
No where near finished. They still have approx 40 vehicles still needing work and that's at current use rates. If they tightened up Charging times for vehicles they could run more intense services as currently all vehicles are not utilised to the max mostly.

Each depot has many vehicles parked not charging at any time. I think Livingston is the one that's probably hardest used just now.

So there around 140 coaches that need work over the coming year?
 

Spsf3232

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
427
Location
Glasgow
So there around 140 coaches that need work over the coming year?
I never said 140, I said 40 or so still to be actively used however most are in service they just are not used effective way. They have the ability to have around 30 to 40 extra vehicles pushed onto new routes just now without even considering new orders for next year
 

overthewater

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
9,152
Yes you said 40, but there is still 100 more coming with Scotzeb3 so that mean there could have work or need to find work for 140 coaches.
 

CSB0241

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2023
Messages
340
Location
Edinburgh, Scotland
In a first for me I’ve not been able to use Ember due to them cancelling one of their trips (in this case the 1310 E15 off of Oban). I intended on getting it back into Edinburgh from Grangemouth however on their website the journey had been greyed out completely & wasn’t tracking.

Is this particularly common with Ember on other parts of the network? I’ve certainly never experienced it with any of their services prior.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 47

Spsf3232

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
427
Location
Glasgow
In a first for me I’ve not been able to use Ember due to them cancelling one of their trips (in this case the 1310 E15 off of Oban). I intended on getting it back into Edinburgh from Grangemouth however on their website the journey had been greyed out completely & wasn’t tracking.

Is this particularly common with Ember on other parts of the network? I’ve certainly never experienced it with any of their services prior.
Yep pretty common as they struggle for drivers due to the contracts they offer
 
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
168
Location
Scotland
In a first for me I’ve not been able to use Ember due to them cancelling one of their trips (in this case the 1310 E15 off of Oban). I intended on getting it back into Edinburgh from Grangemouth however on their website the journey had been greyed out completely & wasn’t tracking.

Is this particularly common with Ember on other parts of the network? I’ve certainly never experienced it with any of their services prior.
I had an E7 cancel on me today when I went to book it, has happened before to me aswell with one journey being sold out and the other being cancelled
 

NWSpotting

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2019
Messages
35
Location
UK
So the other week, SG26XRL was in Preston on 28th August... I meant to ask, does anyone have a single clue why? Genuinely confused why an Ember coach was so far south
 

Attachments

  • SG26XRL-Ember-28082026.jpg
    SG26XRL-Ember-28082026.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Top