• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Email contact for Avanti Customer services

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,027
What is the best email address to use to contact Avanti Customer Services ?

I booked an advance ticket on my phone via the Avanti site on 2nd August (only using Avanti site as I had an Avanti 10% discount code).

During the payment stage I think the signal momentarily dropped and it automatically reloaded a few seconds later. I then received 2 email confirmations with different booking references for the same journey. So I had 2 different tickets both booking the same seat.

I immediately sent an email to Avanti asking them to refund the second payment. I received an auto reply with a case reference number, but as yet have not received a response.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,724
Location
Burgess Hill
Honestly, at this point just take it up with the Rail Ombudsman. You're past the 40 working days which the TOC has to reply to you now, and it will probably trigger a response.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,557
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, at this point, you definitely need to go to the Rail Ombudsman. Please let us know how you get on.

Avanti have been mistreating a lot of people lately and not only is the customer service poor, the Avanti website is riddled with problems and uses sub-standard suppliers (e.g. PICO4UK, which has a terrible reputation); other forum members have experienced issues with Avanti which have not been resolved promptly, e.g.


(and many more)

Whether it's worth using the unreliable Avanti website for the offers (which appear to be done at the expense of good customer service), I'm not sure personally, but I think prospective customers should bear in mind how poor the website is, and how poor the customer service experience can be.

Had such a problem occurred with the forum ticketing site (which I doubt it would), I am confident you would have been refunded within a day or two. However, the forum's site benefits from a UK based customer services team and is backed up by actual experts; it's not practicable to offer such high levels of customer support and also offer discounts, cashback and other such schemes which I understand attract people to the Avanti website.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,660
Location
Merseyside
Is a double charge for the same transaction the sort of thing a bank can help you with as well? When it's obvious a customer has been charged twice form the same transaction.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,109
And yet I still see social media posts saying that people should use TOC apps to buy tickets. I've no idea why. As the example above indicates, there's nothing inherently better about them.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,557
Location
Yorkshire
And yet I still see social media posts saying that people should use TOC apps to buy tickets. I've no idea why. As the example above indicates, there's nothing inherently better about them.
TOCs are desperate for people to buy direct, because they charge premium prices for premium journeys. Third party sites such as the forum's can save a lot of money for the most lucrative of passengers.

TOCs also know that some people are so swayed by small discounts, cashback and other perks that they will put up with poor customer service and higher overall prices for those premium journeys.

This is why LNER is so keen to spend so much taxpayers money with adverts featuring Eleanor desperately telling people to 'book direct'.

And, for the most part, it works, except for people 'in the know'.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,299
Location
North West
TOCs are desperate for people to buy direct, because they charge premium prices for premium journeys. Third party sites such as the forum's can save a lot of money for the most lucrative of passengers.

TOCs also know that some people are so swayed by small discounts, cashback and other perks that they will put up with poor customer service and higher overall prices for those premium journeys.

This is why LNER is so keen to spend so much taxpayers money with adverts featuring Eleanor desperately telling people to 'book direct'.

And, for the most part, it works, except for people 'in the know'.
It wouldn't surprise me if TOCs want us to use their websites so that we don't look at the Railforums website for example for split ticketing savings.
 

Top