starrymarkb
Established Member
As far as I'm aware that is being funded by NR rather then the DfT
whats needed are genuine changes in the way work is done to reduce the cost of large projects and improve efficiency.
Chris
All Engineering work within the planned programme does not as far as I know recover any penalties except where there is a late change to the plan.I would suspect that a lot of the extra cost of engineering work goes to the TOCs as compensation for lost revenue. Although BR would also have lost some revenue, it was not owned by a parent company whose shareholders demand profits and dividends. Much of the rest would go on increased health and safety or administrative costs (both of which cause problems for the construction industry in general) and on sourcing of improved-quality materials. BR were famous (or notorious) for sourcing materials 'on the cheap', with the inevitable results in 'wires down' incidents on the ECML and so on, but that does not tend to happen with NR. Of course, I haven't seen their books, but that might be a reasonable explanation.
global warming is fictional
I recently learnt the dangers of making claims that are hard to substantiate. I suggest you think carefully before trying to prove a negative in the face of substantial evidence that many consider overwhelming.
LE Grays and Ainsworth, at least i am not one of those people who is convinced that all world leaders are lizards
The Earth has been heating up since the Big Bang (yes Im an atheist too), except for the period during the Ice Ages
Can you prove they're not lizards in human suits!!!
Fair enough. This is one of the arguments that make me doubt man made warming, the Earth has been warming up for a long time (not quite since the Big Bang however, the BB was ~13bn years ago, the Earth is only ~4.5bn old).
Then again the rate of warming has increased over the last 100 years. Personally I'm not convinced either way and I am firmly rooted to the fence! (I do feel however if we can do things to lessen our impact on the environment we should).
Where I may differ is my belief that pumping so much unnatural material into the atmosphere over the last couple of centuries must have had some effect.
Can you prove they're not lizards in human suits!!!
Erm - maybe. OK at least i dont go on about Area 51 etc, like said people do
I have a similar attitude. The rate of temperature increase has been rising since records began, but we cannot know whether it is a natural phenomenon or man made. Where I may differ is my belief that pumping so much unnatural material into the atmosphere over the last couple of centuries must have had some effect.
I booked on a tour to Area 51 from Las Vegas once. It was cancelled due to lack of interest. I was surprised, I got the impression loads of people wanted to go and have a look at it!
I thought Area 51 was the place where you got AK-47'd if you went within about 10 miles of it or tried to access it, or maybe I'm thinking of a different area of Southern Nevada
I do think that, unless we can get planes flying on some other type of fuel, that flying will go back to being a very costly luxury and the low-cost airlines will be buggered.
As a result, I think we need to be looking at high-speed rail throughout the UK, Europe and the world as a serious alternative to air travel.
Flying is going to get more and more expensive, and that's even before we consider whether aviation fuel should be taxed. If it is, then game over all the examples you've given! Businesses might just stop sending people all over the world and seek alternatives methods of communication, and we might just stop looking to import so many things from far, far away.
When Concorde stopped flying, we suddenly doubled the time it takes to get to New York. I think in the years to come, people will come to accept longer journey times. They'll accept it because they'll want to save money and choose cash savings over a short flight.