royaloak
Established Member
Coat, you need more than that
, I thought mine was bad but dear oh dear 
I don't think he's coming back...
and all the railway upgrades (this one, HS2, crossrail, etc...)now going to get cancelled, none of these will happen now that the conservatives have practically won...!
I think you'll find the Tories backed high speed rail - DC even said so at one of the live debates. Not sure about Xrail though.
He probably did, although I have my doubts mainly because of all the cuts that are going to happen and normally all of these cuts are taken out of the transport funds. I believe that the tories have already said that the would cancel crossrail, so why wouldn't they Cancel that as well?
Judging from what is written in the report in the link below, the Conservatives consider HS to be vital
http://www.bowgroup.org/harriercollectionitems/The_Right_Track_PDF.pdf
I just hope they consider the whole network to be vital as well !
Hmn, there are. Many scientists have dedicated their whole lives to it and you can do environmental science A Levels and Degrees. Of course, green issues are not just about anthropogenic global climate change, loss of biodiversity, unsustainable use of resources, habitat loss, water depletion are also part of it.
Uh oh... the thread lives on. Must be a government conspiracy.
I'd love to read them, please do.Well, some people choose to be judgmental and I can't say I blame them. My opinions are controversial and they are based in concrete fact. I can quote these facts if needs must, but it seems we've reached the point where futility is around every corner.
.
Gradients eh? All the more reason FOR electrificationBeyond Didcot at least, the route passes through significant cuttings and prohibitive gradients.
Biscuits are the future. Sorry if that fact is uncomfortable for some...
I have concrete facts that show that the future is actually muffins. I can quote these facts if needs must.
I'd love to read them, please do.
BTW electrification is not about averting climate change, it's about:
- Quicker timings (improved acceleration)
- Lower running costs
- Affordable oil is running out
- Demand for oil is sky-rocketing
- Lower maintenance costs
- Lower cleaning costs
- Improvement in station environments
- Sustainability
Perhaps you can address some of these points?
That's correct. Although I personally enjoy the sound of a Valenta engine departing, the MTU does not interest me in the slightest (it sounds like a truck. it's crap. end of!) and I therefore know how "normal" passengers will feel about any diesel: they don't want the noise, the smell, the grime. And yes, they make station environments less pleasant.I also believe that you have misunderstood Yorkie, although I obviously cannot speak for him. As I read his post, his mention of improved station environments means that the absence of the noise and fumes that characterise the HST will be replaced by the fumeless quiet hum of an electric loco or unit.
Why use concrete proof, everyone knows plastic is the future![]()
Not at all. The fact that demand is outstripping supply for oil is the primary reason surely.Averting climate change seems to be the only reason for electrifying a line such as the GWML.
The faster acceleration given by electric trains will, obviously, result in a reduction in running times. It is up to the timetable planners, and ultimately policy makers, as to how much of this decrease in journey time is given toward padding to allow for a more robust timetable.a) How do you think that the quicker timetables will mean instant improvements to the current level of reliability and punctuality on the GWML?
This is waffle, and you are comparing the proposed GWML electrification project with the recent West Coast upgrade, which is not a valid comparison at all. Perhaps you can look at electrification projects to compare with this, err, electrification project?We have a proven case by the WCRM that extended upgrades do not result in immediate changes to the 'speediness' of train times, save for a few necessary updates to key structures along the route. We have concrete proof by the years in building of the WCRM that in the months after the completion of the core update south of Rugby, that train times were not improved. What makes everyone think that electrification of a 100 year old route will mean instant speediness and more flexibility to the new GWML? How will the new GWML differ from the old GWML in its so-called promise of faster times on local branches such as those in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, if any changes are going to happen?
It's one of the many benefits of electrification. Nothing more, and nothing less.b) Improvements in station environments should never be a top priority for any body in the initial stage of planning.
?That's up to local residents whenever the proper consultations between local councils happen.
Erm, okay.The local residents should be the ones to put forward their ideas as to what they would like to see improved at their local station.
I don't know what you're asking, let alone know the answer to that.How have FGW delivered a package which still demands improvements?
Yeah, Reading for a start, which is in the pipeline (if it doesn't get cancelled...!)Are there stations on the core GWML route, we'll assume between Paddington and Swansea, which are in urgent need of an upgrade?
I'm not sure, but I could ask someone who remembers what happened at York when the ECML was electrified around 1990, as the stations are comparable I think.How long will cosmetic changes take to major stations such as Bristol Temple Meads take if they are to accommodate for electrification around those parts
I'd be shocked if there was, to be fair...There is still no proof that the electrification package put forward of the GWML will be sufficient enough to stop MMGW.
Yes, I am in agreement with much of that.Man-made global warming is indeed, an inconvenient truth. Man is contributing to the environment in several different ways, hence why demand for oil is so high as our current so-called 'green' systems are not doing their jobs in an efficient way. This strain on our reliance for foreign oil supplies is diverting attention away from methods which exist in this country to address these inefficient schemes which rely so heavily on a constant supply of oil. There is so much proven evidence that if man continues to use these large supplies of oil, demand for foreign oil will start to exceed supply, resulting in the inevitable energy crisis that we all know is a foregone conclusion.
The 'problem' for the GWML (let's keep this in perspective!) is that the trains are going to be life-expired in 15 years' time, but before that oil is likely to be prohibitively expensive, so if cities like Oxford, Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea and Exeter want fast, frequent services to London, then they are going to have to get an electrified line with trains using electricity, and not using diesel engines.Putting up a few extra gantries on a 100 year old route will not solve this problem.
We have concrete proof by the years in building of the WCRM that in the months after the completion of the core update south of Rugby, that train times were not improved.
(waffle)
Averting climate change seems to be the only reason for electrifying a line such as the GWML.