Fair enough!
I conclude that the amount of noxious fumes pumped into the atmosphere between, say, the 1840's and the 1950's will have had an effect on the atmosphere. I can't prove that msyelf, as I am not a scientist and haven't lived for 170 years! What about the killer smogs of the post war years? As they had a pretty noticeable effect on people, can we say they didn't affect anything else?
Granted, life expectancy has increased a lot. Most of this is to do with better hygeine, improved medical knowledge and facilities, better health and safety requirements at work, and the eliimination of many previously fatal diseases. There are undoubtedly other factors as well, but these will do as examples.
Yes, a century is only a very short time in comparison with the age of this planet. Yet for millions of years human activity has been on a very small scale. Although species have become extinct in the past, it's only fairly recently that humans have been cutting down large areas of rain forest for example, as well as disposing of toxic waste, nuclear waste etc.
I must say that my opinion is that you can interpret the evidence and statistics that have been collated to support either viewpoint. I just can't see how all of this activity can NOT have had an effect!
In terms of cutting down the trees, I am with you on that one, we need them to soak up greenhouse gases.
I also agree that people will use whatever facts they want to portray their point of view, but in my opinion, being an "environmentalist" means that you have to buy in to all the doomsday scenario bull**** related to CO2 that just means that we are being taxed more (1 example, road tax)
We should stop wasting so much and recycle more, use the methane from landfills, stop cutting down trees, use renewable power sources, use nuclear powersources, create integrated, low emissions rapid transport systems in ALL UK cities with sequenced traffic lights (less emissions) etc etc etc.
What I am saying is, is that I love the planet and country just as much as anyone else and agree with measures that will help us look after it better. I just do not agree that we are all going to die in 2050 because there is too much CO2 in the atmosphere.
The CO2 argument is just to try and stop China and India usurping the major global powers in economic terms.
Also, demand for oil is not outstripping supply, this is merely being controlled by OPEC so that they can get a maximum amount for their oil barrels. There is basically loads of oil left, but we have to find a way of fuelling our trucks with something different so as not to pollute so much.
Shanghai for example is the most disgustingly polluted city I have ever visited, probably not far off from where we were about 50 years ago, but on the roads, there are millions of knackered old trucks spewing out crap into the atmosphere. On a local level this is bad, but globally, it is just a minute amount of the total emissions attributed to global warming.
a question, if there is more CO2 in the atmosphere, would this not stimulate flora and fauna?