70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,089
Well, yes, that was my point, they don't run away saying its all too difficult.
Not a fair comparison. Running cruise ships is their core business. And the harbour charges - along with the times available for use with the tides - have all been factored into the business case for the harbour and cruise line.
In any case, the train operators and NR wouldn't answer "it's too difficult". They would, however, say it's not economic to set up and invest in the infrastructure, stock and crewing needs to deal with (say) 1,000 cruise passengers descending onto Invergordon Station and needing to be taken to Inverness (or whereever) at all sort of odd hours (in line with tides) just a few weeks of the year.
In fact, they would say its extremely UNeconomic to do so. If, however the cruise companies offered to share those costs, and all the dead time when the crews and stock would be standing unused - I expect they'd jump at the chance.
I already posted the schedule for Invergordon; it is now pretty busy right through the summer. The week ending today, 8 ships, between them carrying 14,000 passengers.
Indeed, I was astonished to learn about these ships docking at Invergordon. I had no idea about this traffic. So what do all the passengers do when in town? How are they transported round and about (by bus, one assumes)? How far away is Invergordon station from the docks? In other words, if there were trains to cope with even a small number of the cruise passengers, is it an easy interchange to the station? (I have been there, but it was 15 years ago, and I can't remember in any detail what was what, or where it was.)
EDIT - sorry, just noticed, you say the railway station is withing walking distance. Although 'walking distance' for a fit person may not be the same as that for 80-year old pensioners.
I brought up the example of Invergordon because it's just one example of a market that surely could be exploited better. I didn't even realise myself until this summer how many ships were coming in now. Yes, the numbers aren't a nice even flow but they are so large that they surely are not to be sniffed at, especially as they embark within walking distance of a train station.
Yes, would be nice to at least tap into it - but as others have pointed out, this is very specialised 'surge' traffic.