Hi guys, I'm very interested, in these rail reopening projects , like the current Leven line reopening, the surprising fact that from the news we get up here in Scotland and having read in rail magazines , about the Completion of the borders railway.
The reopening of Ashington to Blyth ( underway )
The Ivanhoe line , and the strong push by the Scottish government to reconnect frazerburgh and Peterhead etc to the rail network.
And also the extension albeit in three seperate phases ,the oakhampton extension, I gather they will next do tavistock I believe it is to bere Alston , then fill the gap ( note I'm not very knowledgeable on railways and the industry, my interest is the reopening and new stations etc and also new rolling stock, or certain locos and older stuff like the HST's etc).
So I'm keenly following this as I did when they did the very first phase , in 2015 I think it was when they did was it Oxford to Bicster? Part if the old varsity line I gather . So that it connected Bicster to London ?
My question is does anyone have any up to date progress photos please , as it seemed way back in early summer one station ( might have been Winslow ) was looking very near to being finished , all I have is a photomontage of that station .
But I also understand that this project , when done will allow new services , stopping the need for folk to have to go via any of the London terminal stations .
Eg in theory GWR could run, from the West country to Norwich ( for example)
I only mention that, as in one rail magazine, it was taking about GWR and future proposals, from rolling stock to destinations etc and infrastructure.
Also I mentioned this because, GWR would be ideally placed to be competition to cross country , which only now has dreaded voyagers that are too short for any meaningful use.
Where GWR could operate via the reopened varsity line and offer services across country.
Or allow other operators to run long distance or regional services on it too.
In addition to the freight , which would take so many trucks off the roads..
The only crazy thing was the failed government pledge not only to have it all built by now but be electrified.
( Hence GWR , and their Bi mode units would be ideal ).
But I was as I say wondering please if anyone has any progress photos that are current , or know how much track is left to be laid, and what stage stations are at, is it just one new station or are there more , and is it true Aylsebury is getting a new link to this ? Is that the link that is close to HS2.
Also what's the delay around the HS2 area.
I thought I'd read that the bridges were built for the line to cross HS2, but I was confused by a plan , drawing of how it seemed HS2 runs alongside the varsity line for a short distance, is that the Calvert area?.
Sorry if it's a daft question, but I genuinely don't know the area , as I'm in the far southwest of Scotland, close to the coast , the part on the map that is close to the isle of man .